South African National Tournament 2012

Morticon

Just played relic vs. Another bastardo daemon list.

Pulled mephy as scoring for my warlord!!!

List:

Fateweaver

Bloodthirster

8 bloodletters

8or so horror

8 plagues? Or horrors- not sure anymore

2x6 flamers

2x9 screamers

After the dust had settled, I took the last wound from fateweaver in the bottom of the 7th.

He had nothing left on the table.

3wins for BA so far.

Amazing, I would love to read a bit more in detail about this battle.

As you mentioned in your first post, Daemons could be a problem.

In the end of this battle, was this not the case?

Cheers,

The opponent I played before I feel was a better player and had a better list.

I think this opponent, though capable, got to where he was because of the strength of the new daemons.

The daemons are all up on the top tables at the moment- and an interesting eldar/de combo at top table.

The daemons are defs a concern and I have a feeling I will be playong at least one more of them before the tourney is up.

Really hope for something more interesting thoug ;)

Needless to say, in very happyt with the meta direction I took so far- but tomorrow will be the true test.

That first daemon list looks ridiculous.... how in the name of the Golden Throne did you take that out?! All I can guess is Purge the Alien mission since he's MSU, and bad scatters on flamers with fateweaver not being able to cover everything with the bubble.

Though that said, the second one scares me just as much, mostly because of the words "Blood" and "Thirster". Scoring Mephiston amuses me greatly though, with the Relic.

Couple of questions...how many Daemon players? And how many are running heavy-Tzeentch with flamers, horrors, and Space Budgie? I bet its a lot of them

The daemons are defs a concern and I have a feeling I will be playong at least one more of them before the tourney is up.

Really hope for something more interesting thoug <_<

Needless to say, in very happyt with the meta direction I took so far- but tomorrow will be the true test.

Looking very forward to your progression, I hope you will be the better player in your next battles and be able to bust trough the "nuts".

We wish you the best of battles!

Mort, I have followed your SA Nationals threads for the past couple of years and I remember you trying to get away from Meph, I think you called him a crutch. I see in your list thread you tried yet again to get away from him, but fell back on him again. Maybe next year?

Heya bud I tried a local tournament or two without mephiston, and while it wasn't acomplete waste of time it wasn't all that grand either.

Mephiston brings too much to the table to ignore for serious competitive gamers. I really enjoy the gaming part of this hobby and I play hard and play to win, so I will definitely try things without for regional and small tournies, but nationals is a not likely.

That first daemon list looks ridiculous.... how in the name of the Golden Throne did you take that out?! All I can guess is Purge the Alien mission since he's MSU, and bad scatters on flamers with fateweaver not being able to cover everything with the bubble.

Though that said, the second one scares me just as much, mostly because of the words "Blood" and "Thirster". Scoring Mephiston amuses me greatly though, with the Relic.

Couple of questions...how many Daemon players? And how many are running heavy-Tzeentch with flamers, horrors, and Space Budgie? I bet its a lot of them

Chap- way too many !!!!

Bloodthirster went down cheaply, after shoulder barging a bird of mine out the sky though.

That's second game I got lucky.

He rolled his unflavoured list, and then in 2nd turn didn't get fateweaver on either and mishapped (ongoing reserve) with two other squads.

This break gave me an opportunity to focus on the troops a bit. We played 3objective mission. They were all really spread out- so while his bulk focused on my bulk of my army, I sent a dread in raven to deal with two plague sqds miles away from the action. Also got lucky when game ended in 5th. I won with 5pnts to one. I think it would have been a draw had it gone on for one more turn, but full report when I get home!

Heya bud I tried a local tournament or two without mephiston, and while it wasn't acomplete waste of time it wasn't all that grand either.

Mephiston brings too much to the table to ignore for serious competitive gamers. I really enjoy the gaming part of this hobby and I play hard and play to win, so I will definitely try things without for regional and small tournies, but nationals is a not likely.

Best of luck. But shouldn't you be in bed by now? :P Have to be in top shape for tomorrow.

I think it's fun to see daemons making it to the top. I know your scene had a successful player before the update but it hasn't been a common sight in most 40k circles. I suspect a lot of fantasy players are quite happy to suddenly have a viable 40k army. Did you happen to see any square bases ? :huh:

Just checked, it looks like there are around 7 daemon players out of 40- not including chaos base.

And, yeh one or two square base armies- though I assume its more of a financial thing than an aesthetic/gamey or any other thing.

I'm waiting for peeps to arrive now anxiously awaiting my next opponent.

So, we have a few of us on 3 wins- 5 I think.

BA,

Orks,

IG/BA (cld be GK- but I think its BA) -he has 3vendettas and a raven.

Daemons (4fmc) and

One more I'm unsure of.

We haven't played kill points yet and I'm weak at that, so, I'm a bit concerned there.

Will let you know wha happens.

Daemons AGAIN? *pulls face*. Grey Knights are suddenly looking like a really good meta option... I'd go to a tournament and expect lots of power armour cos there's so many marine books, but not to play more than half my games against one codex. That tends to be a sign that its relatively unbalanced. I bet you get paired down for the next round and face yet more Daemons :)

Just from looking at the two lists I'm calling this a coin flip. Scouring I can't really see you losing against this without atrocious dice. The Baals will dominate his small (read: not-boyz) unit, and are scoring to boot. Kill points I think is in the orks' favour since you've got loads of small units. I reckon mission will decide who has the edge, and first turn will probably be really important. Best of luck with the final! :)

+EDIT+ interesting that across a 5 game national tournament you've only faced two armies. Especially since a lot of people up my way have been decrying Orks as relatively weak (Daemons were weak but those that claim they still are after the update are blatantly delusional).

Sounds epic, as mentioned here is where the Baals shine.

Love the fact you defeated that Daemon list to!

For fluff reasons and offcourse the models I allreay own some GK who are to be allied. Looking at this tournament, it seems it's quite a good idea.

Best of luck!

Archived