Gabriel Seth

Hadron Ka'sel

Simply put I'm intrigued to hear peoples different experiences on using him. As of yet i've never actually used him in a game, but i have been thinking of putting together a unit of 6DC in a drop pod with Seth as a fluffy unit for my D.I.Y chapter. Plus, for some reason, dumping down howling mad men in the midst of my enemy and watching as they panic seems rather fun to me.

So, whats he like?

hmmmm, shame about whirl. Though even though he only has 3+ he does have an iron halo, and his sword is still pretty tasty with its strength 8 and rending. Maybe using DC Tyco for 15 more points might work better? 2+ fnp, relentless and dead mans hand. I could even model it so he has a weapon that represents it. So the general opinion is that although he looks good on paper, in reality he's not so good. Shame :(

hmmmm, shame about whirl. Though even though he only has 3+ he does have an iron halo, and his sword is still pretty tasty with its strength 8 and rending. Maybe using DC Tyco for 15 more points might work better? 2+ fnp, relentless and dead mans hand. I could even model it so he has a weapon that represents it. So the general opinion is that although he looks good on paper, in reality he's not so good. Shame :P

DC Tycho can't join units. You could play him as regular Tycho though.

Corbulo is awesome, so is normal Tycho. For different reasons.

6th Ed has totally changed the fine details of close combat, but it didn't really make Seth any better unlike Tycho and Corbs.

Better off with a reclusiarch with a Fist or Tycho tbh if you want a combat orientated character for the 155-175 points range

According to more than one person in this thread, I'm so far off base and just plain wrong that I've warranted a line by line review of just how wrong I am about Seth. Which is too bad as I think he's a great model and has good rules for his points cost.

It's always easier to tear people apart and tell them how wrong they are, then express your own thoughts, ideas and opinions.

Good Day, Sir!

Fearless now extends to the whole unit. Very nice when the unit he joins does not have the Red Thirst.

True, that is nice, but you can get that for cheaper with a Reclusiarch, which also make the rest of his squad deadlier.

Ferocious Instincts is an automatic wound when they roll a 1. This has been a nice little benefit on more than one occasion for me.

Then you've been playing that wrong. Its an automatic S4 HIT, not automatic wound. Nothing to really write home about.

Seth is one of the very few Blood Angels characters that is Independent.

Dante, not-DC Tycho, Astorath, librarians, reclusiarch, captains, chaplains and sanguinary priests are all Independent. If you stick to HQs, you still have 6 other choices.

Finally, Whirlwind of Gore. Combine that with Blood Reaver and you have a very effective vehicle killer. I can't tell you how many times Seth was able to move into close combat with a vehicle- and automatically hit it with a strength 8 rending attack (Skimmers be damned!). Not such a big deal in 6th Ed where vehicles are WS 1 or 0, but say against a Walker, this could be nice.

Why do one automatic hit on a dread when you would in all likeliness do at least 2 if you tried to hit it normally?

Seth did take a hit in 6th, I will admit. Changes to pile in limit his Whirlwind of Gore, and his usefulness as a vehicle killer has changed. Not diminished, just changed. His base of four attacks with a Str 8 Rending attack can't be underestimated. Remember that Whirlwind of Gore is an automatic hit. Blood Reaver indeed!

In an army chock-full of meltaguns, you really shouldn't ever have to care wether your characters are vehicle-killers are not.

His saves are not all that bad, considering he's in a Blood Angels army where Feel No Pain is so very easy to get.

Compared to a 2+, a 3+ is pretty meh, FnP or not.

Seth himself deals instant death with Blood Reaver to T4 characters.

Nobz may care, but any character with a decent save most likely doesn't.

As it's at I6 and it's rending, it makes him a pretty good challenge character.

He's I5, actually.

Seth doesn't really have any global effects on your army, but he adds significantly to the melee capability of the unit he joins.

There are better, cheaper ways to do that.

Finally, he's the cheapest special character in the BA Codex.

The others may be more expensive, but also add more. Dante unlocks a whole new army type, Mephiston is just a total beast, Tycho improves the leadership of your whole army, Astorath increases the chance of getting Red Thirst. There's more to comparing costs than just comparing the point cost.

When you get done adding all the little extras to your Epistolary Librarian or Reclusiarch Chaplain, he is still cheaper.

Epistolary libbies are waste of points, and Reclusiarchs don't need much upgrading, if any.

Try and tool up a Captain with similar wargear and he's still cheaper.

Captains are overcosted crap, so kinda moot point.

It's been fun using him and my opponent totally underestimates how useful he is. Is he the best special character in the BA Codex? No. He is the cheapest, and he can be very versatile and effective if used correctly. For the points cost alone, he is one of the best Special Characters.

I say he's easily one of the worst. Not the worst, but Dante, Mephiston, Astorath and even Tycho are much better value for points.

Then what are your thoughts on using him as the HQ for an allied detachment? Obviously, it would depend on what else you are playing. But using him to open up priests and assault squad troop choices in another army could provide some advantage I would think.

Thats a very interesting idea. Its given me an idea for a fluffy list i was thinking of but going SW > BA. It would be the other half of my BA chapters. Thanks for that mate :)

In regards to this main list im working on, all very good points. Thanks for the input so far. Didn't realize DC Tycho wasn't an ID. Still normal Tycho leading the unit would still work nicely. No FnP for sure but at least he has that 2+

Tbh Seth might not be the optimum choice but id hardly call him bad...

If any MEQ fails a save (and Seth has rending to! so its not unheard of that your ignoring armour ;)) hes dead if he fails his invul save thanks to his S8 weapon. It might lull an opponent into a false sense of security as well if he thinks he can just use his armour save :pinch: Some taunt your opponent into a challenge and keep bashing him till he drops ;) With a FnP save nearby (no reason why a priest shouldnt be near Seth) He gets a 4++ and 5++ against non ID power weapon attacks that DO bypass his save.

Hes far from bad and tbh the model is nice ;) if your going to a tourney though then yes, there are better choices...

The only problem I have with (multiple and this) character is that they don't come with Jump Packs or have the upgrade, which really is a shame.

Now Gabriel is a fine guy, get him if you need him. He's not the most general chosen general ;) but still good.

I actually enjoyed your post Tamwulf. It brought up some points I thoroughly agree with. I first tried Seth a while ago as I was looking for a good HQ that wasn't 240+ points. I think value for points wise Seth is great! I've also enjoyed using Tycho for the same reason, it feels a lot cheaper :)

Seth adds a lot to a few of our units, I particularly like running him with a priest and some non jump pack vanguard vets, quite a nasty little squad.

I'd also never thought about using that auto hit vs a single target, there could be many uses for that one!

I actually use another model to represent him, as he fits perfectly rules wise for my pre heresy armies Amit from Fear To Tread. :)

James.

Archived