Gabriel Seth

Hadron Ka'sel

why delete your old post Tamwulf o0 you're entitled to your opinion even if people disagree with you, no reason to retract your statements.

I think Seth is very fluffy and fun, as long as your opponent writes his list along the same line. You will be disappointed if you play against WAAC lists though, as he will likely die very fast without doing much. And it's a sad reality that he doesn't do anything that other guys in our codex can't do better.

I beg everyone's pardon on having an opinion and apparently have deserved a line by line breakdown of just how wrong I am. Guess my panties are all in a twist now.

Sorry if I have fun playing 40K while ya'll metagame.

If you want to avoid line-by-line breakdowns, just say "here's why I find him fun and like using him" instead of "here's why he's good". The first implies you are stating an opinion; the second, facts. Don't get upset if someone counters your arguments - this is a discussion forum after all.

A "metagamer" 's two pence.

Was reading around and found out that with the challenge rules characters like mephiston got very limited effect on battlefields now ... Wouldn't Seth be a good replacement choice in this optic ? (cheap and can still win most challenges issued by annoying sergeants etc) I'm not yet playing, just reading around and thoug

ht I could ask here :-)

• 3 weeks later...
You are looking at it too narrowly. You have to weight his worth by looking at more than just a small, specific part of the whole package. That kind of analysis will lead you to believe that everything is good, when really, it isn't.

Personally, I've been finding Seth to be much more useful combo-ed with a squad of death company (especially with the new rage rules). Even if they are on foot the entire time, they end up forcing my opponents to focus on them while I destroy the rest of their army with everything else. Plus when they do get into combat, they seem to just wreck everything. Again, that's just my opinion on him.

i am actually hoping to see his two handed chainsword will get evalated unique eviscerator status. If that happends, Seth just got slightly better. his weapons profile is very, very close to eviscerator as it is. But for his points you still get quite capable STR8 rending monster, while I grant that 6th edition is more shooting based, Seth is good, albeit Tycho does things better and more reliable than Seth. Still Seth brings alot to table for his points.

Could be worse, a librarian on bike is 50 pts more than his CSM equivalent :)
Clearly the Psychic Hood is worth the 50pts.....
Well...Psychic Hood and 'Know No Fear'.... just about the best ability in the game. Not sure the rule is worth 40pts though--- meaning I rate the Psychic Hood at about 10pts... 6th Edition nerfing the Psyhood is why we have all these Psykers running around now.... :D

I'll have to agree with the Tycho>Seth sentiment.

At Range, Tycho is plain better.

At dealing with armor, they are comparable.

In close combat, it comes down to whether you'd rather be putting wounds reliably vs hoping for a lucky instagib.

Relying on luck is rarely a good plan. In my experience, an army that can reliably do something decent is better than an army that can either do terrible or fantastic things depending on luck.

i am actually hoping to see his two handed chainsword will get evalated unique eviscerator status. If that happends, Seth just got slightly better. his weapons profile is very, very close to eviscerator as it is. But for his points you still get quite capable STR8 rending monster, while I grant that 6th edition is more shooting based, Seth is good, albeit Tycho does things better and more reliable than Seth. Still Seth brings alot to table for his points.

If im not mistaken there are rules for a "heavy chainsword" in the main rulebook? The second I read that I thought of Seth :whistling: tbh if they classify it as anything else theyre fooling themselves....

Think the "normal" heavy chainswrod s AP4? Not as good as AP3 but then again it never was a power weapo to begin with so I could live with AP4 :angry:

If im not mistaken there are rules for a "heavy chainsword" in the main rulebook? The second I read that I thought of Seth :) tbh if they classify it as anything else theyre fooling themselves....

Think the "normal" heavy chainswrod s AP4? Not as good as AP3 but then again it never was a power weapo to begin with so I could live with AP4 :)

I really don't see what good AP4 would do that S8 Rending doesn't already do well enough..

If im not mistaken there are rules for a "heavy chainsword" in the main rulebook? The second I read that I thought of Seth :D tbh if they classify it as anything else theyre fooling themselves....

Think the "normal" heavy chainswrod s AP4? Not as good as AP3 but then again it never was a power weapo to begin with so I could live with AP4 ^_^

I really don't see what good AP4 would do that S8 Rending doesn't already do well enough..

Its more for fluff then anything else. Making him AP3 would be abit much and the heavy chainsword in the rulebook is AP4....

-edit-

While im saying that I dont got a rulebook handy... Anyone can check if im not spreading rubbish?

I'm in the pro-Seth camp. Though I do admit that compared to the most of the other BA choices, he is not as good. But, I often find the Libby to be lacking ( even more now that the hood is nerfed and the Staff is only AP 4). Seth's biggest plus is the fact that he is swinging S8 at I5. I'm not sure the issue here, but that is huge in a lot of games. But, you don't play him as a deathstar killer, he has a role to play ( mainly working better against hordes or things like dreads/walkers, or Tyranid warriors). I also find it funny that the same army that swears by the Assault cannon for it's rending power, shuns the Rending power of a S8 weapon with 5 attacks on the charge. He does well at killing most things that are 3+ saves or worse, 2+ is a problem... but, even a power sword is having a problem now. Also, he is 4 wounds... so against most of his likely opponents he is not getting insta-gibbed, plus unlike the Libby he gets an invul save if needed. Tycho is a good choice and probably the most fair to compare with Seth. Tycho has one less wound, one less attack, and a 2+ save... not saying Tycho is bad, he is good, though if your running FT's he doesn't fit in right. The others are all expensive beast in their own rights and is the same as comparing Chaos HQ's to Abaddon... it's not even a possible to really compare with the big difference in points. Seth usually shines more in small point games, plus in larger games he can benefit from Chaplains and Libby's to back up the army. If you do plan to run Seth, then you should back him up with a Power Ax/Power fist sgt for sure. Let your real hammer units take on the enemies elite units. Let Seth and squad take on stuff like a mob of boys, a horde of termagaunts, or cultists. Another good benefit is the new rules for fearless also, you can turn a unit of RAS into a great holding unit if needed.

Archived