DV chosen in purple and pink...

heavens henchman

Ok so I love the the new mini's in the DV set and I've always wanted to do a Chaos army but the codex always threw me off starting one. With he new models I vowed to start my servitude to the dark gods. So after 2 weeks of trying to decide between Iron warriors ( I've always loved everything about them) and the Emperors Children, I decided to take the challenge of doing the EC. Long story short I maybe should have done the IW's as I seem to have destroyed the models with my painting.

I've never had a completely painted unit let alone army, And I want to do it this time but I get put off by my lack of being able to take the vision of how i see the finished model in my mind and have the mini look that way after i paint it.

Heres a pic of the progress I've made so far on the Chaos Lord. Please tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to make it look awesome sauce. Don't sugar coat it, be brutal but give me some direction as well Please and thank you.

gallery_25876_7745_31628.jpg

First off, it's not ruined, it's just not done yet. If you are new to painting, don't panic.

Ok, so tell us what you envision for your guys, and be specific. It looks like pink with purple trim is the main color, with gold metallics?

Next, what have you done so far? It looks like White Primer and then base coating with the Pink, Purple and Gold? Rest assured, you still have a layer or two of midtones and then highlights and washes before worrying.

Last, what paints do you have available? If we suggested that you buy 3 pinks, 3 purples, some stuff for washes and whatever detail colors you want, will that be a reasonable possibility for you? Or, will you need to mix the paints you have together to get your results?

Regardless, do not give up. You have set yourself a challenging goal, and you'll be better for doing it.

Being brutally honest; I'm not sure what's wrong with the colours. The purple and pink seem to complement each other pretty well to be honest. You could add a subtle highlight to the purple to give it a little more definition but aside from that I actually really like it. I'm guessing that the 'yellow' looking groin plate is awaiting whichever wash/glaze you're using to create the pink as otherwise I think it won't work with the colours of the armour already there.

In my humble opinion you should finish this guy up in this scheme and then ask for feedback, but just now, I like the look of him I'm afraid.

James

Well I wanted purple armour with the pink helmet and gold trim. I started with the base coat of naggaroth night for the purple but when I layered on the Xereus purple It didnt show up at aggainst the darker naggaroth. So i thought to layer up the highlights using emperor's children pink. Unfortunatly the pink took things over even though I used many thin layers (more layers towards the brighter areas and less layers in the darker areas). With the armour being way pink I tried using a wash of druchii violet to try and give the pink layers more a purple hue.

Thanks for the quick response guys

(looks up the new paint colors, because he's an old man apparently)

Ok, wow Xereus is a pretty dark purple.

I'd try painting several thinned layers of the Xereus Purple over the pink highlights you have. Thin the purple enough that the difference in the underlying pink comes through. Even if it doesn't, having the lighter base under the purple will help it look brighter. Then, if you need to highlight the purple further, just add white to the purple, and leave the pink out of the equation.

The xereus purple is closest to the colour i was looking for, it's almost a lavander. the naggaroth night base colour is really dark thats what you see on the trim of the armour right now. The problem i had was the xereus purple didnt show up very well over the the much darker base colour.

So If i do some thin layers of the lighter purple over the pink that should bring things back into line?

The pink needs some proper shading and some bright highlights. Don't worry too much about the purple just yet, once you have a nice pink, a nice complementary purple shouldn't be to hard. I have relatively little experience with the colour but your idea of using purple to shade the pink appears sound to me. Just try use more layers so that the armour will finaly reach from a relatively dark purple in the shadows to a bright pink ( using increasing amounts of white to highlight the pink ) on the most bright spots.

I also suggest to avoid the indescriminate use of washes. For a good tmm tutorial i suggest both http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/tutorials/h...nt-metallic.htm and http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2010/02/t...llic-metal.html. Another classic is, of course, http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1649-metallics. Many of the principles used to achive a good silver can be used to achive a good gold.

Archived