Thundernators- how many is too many?

Lord Morgrim

I am obsessed with an army full of Thundernator- by far they are my favourite troop type in 40k I love the hammer and shield combo (maybe its my dwarf heritage coming out in me )

How would you do a thundernator heavy army? what's the biggest amount of them you have seen on the battlefield?

Whats the best way to take them? Land raiders?

I saw a full Thundernator DW army in 5th Ed once. A campaign based 3 v 3 Apoc fight that one player brought about 2,500 points worth of them in a footslogging wall of bone. They didn't last long due to the Chaos forces all ganged up on the DW, but the other two forces over ran the Chaos forces because of that. :tu:

I've seen a few Deathwing players with all Hammernators with Cyclones, and one guy even brought 40. In marine lists, I've seen 20 TH/SS termies in a Vulkan themed marine list that seems to do well. The best way to field a whole Hammernator army, in my opinion, would be to footslog mass ammounts of them with Cyclones.

If running a full Hammernator list go with Dark Angels, as you can then take CMLs while not losing TH/SS. With Marines though, if you run loads of Hammernators you'll lack range, so I wouldn't run more than 10, and use them as a bubble wrap for other units. Maybe 15 if you stick 5 in a Raider and run the other 10 on foot.

How much longer will TH/SS and CML be a valid choice for, though? Personally I don't think the new DA Codex will still allow it.

What gives you that impression, may I ask?

The CML was expressly different from the other heavy weapons options in 3rd Edition such that it only replaced the power fist; then for 4th and 5th it was expanded to not replace anything, but taken extra. If we follow this pattern, I would say it is more likely that a CML could be taken in addition to the squad's regular special weapon.

In either case, it is pure speculation at this point ... unless you have some other information not yet available to most.

How much longer will TH/SS and CML be a valid choice for, though?

Well, considering Vanilla marines can now take BA allies and attach Sanguinary Priests to these Hammernator squads for some 2+/3++ & FNP 5+ shenanigans (not to mention S9 hammers on the charge), I'd say Hammernators aren't going anywhere any time soon, in fact I'm tempted to get in on the action!

What gives you that impression, may I ask?

The CML was expressly different from the other heavy weapons options in 3rd Edition such that it only replaced the power fist; then for 4th and 5th it was expanded to not replace anything, but taken extra. If we follow this pattern, I would say it is more likely that a CML could be taken in addition to the squad's regular special weapon.

In either case, it is pure speculation at this point ... unless you have some other information not yet available to most.

It is simply pure speculation on my part, based on nothing more than a gut feeling and the fact that only one Marine book since C:DA has allowed Terminators to take a TH/SS and CML, and that one book represents, arguably, the most Codex-divergent Chapter that there is.

Well, considering Vanilla marines can now take BA allies and attach Sanguinary Priests to these Hammernator squads for some 2+/3++ & FNP 5+ shenanigans (not to mention S9 hammers on the charge), I'd say Hammernators aren't going anywhere any time soon, in fact I'm tempted to get in on the action!

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that they're going to take away TH/SS Terminators, I'm saying that I don't think it will be legal to arm a DW Terminator with TH/SS and CML in future.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that they're going to take away TH/SS Terminators, I'm saying that I don't think it will be legal to arm a DW Terminator with TH/SS and CML in future.

Misunderstandings all round, haha. I thought you meant "valid" in the sense of the meta-game, in the sense that "foot slogging armies are validin sixth", for example... My mistake.

Still, my advice to the thread creator is this--go all out. 30 Hammernators. Each with an attached Sanguinary Priest from BA Allies, and maybe a couple of attached chaplains too as your mandatory HQ units. That's a whole lotta hurt right there.

Actually the sanguinary priests entry in the blood angels faq limits their effect to units from codex blood angels. Which made me sad!!

Twenty is pretty much as many as any normal game will require. Maybe in Apocalypse you would see a need for thirty or more (as they each have to murder a Titan apiece, god I love that Apoc formation).

If you're that mad keen on them, Deathwing is the answer. 30 of them, with CML's mixed in. Its very matchup dependent (if people build to slay you, ie bring AP2, you cry), but it does a number of most xenos builds.

Actually the sanguinary priests entry in the blood angels faq limits their effect to units from codex blood angels. Which made me sad!!

Damn--although I guess that's probably for the best.... Otherwise I would have tried to abuse it for some massed FNP Wolf Guard termies... ;)

Still, a Codex: BA player in a 2k point game could feasibly take 30 Hammernators (all with Rage too, mind you) and attach a Sanguinary Priest to each squad. Sure, that's like 1500~ pts right there, but hey, 2+/3++/5+++ don't come cheap!

Archived