Chaos Release and EC

Grimtooth

The leaked bits and pieces from the WD and such regarding EC look great, but holy crap did GW just screw model support for an EC army. The finecast upgrade pack is crap. I am seriously hoping for 2nd wave to have cult troops or I am not going to even bother. Really what other options are there?

I personally fail to see the problem. In all honesty, it's just the same stuff they had before but finecast now and not metal so our models wont fall over every five seconds. Personally, this new codex and the convenience of noise marine bitz/EC shoulder pads from Forge World are what's giving me the drive to start an Emperor's Children force.

To be honest I was never really that interested in buying the metal upgrade paqck and was going to stick to converting any Sonic weaponry that i'd need.

I may pick up 1 or 2 of the resin packs if they I find myself with the spare cash. Hate working with metal models and if I get decent casts that are easy to use with no pinning necessary then i'll be happy.

I do however see it being somewhat problematic for people who prefer actual components rather than converting thier own, but as the hobby is steadily reaching crazy prices, I think converting is becoming more of a handy skill.

I wouldn't hold out for newer cult models though, doesn't seem likely after the swith to Finecast. :rolleyes:

Mike.

I personally fail to see the problem. In all honesty, it's just the same stuff they had before but finecast now and not metal so our models wont fall over every five seconds. Personally, this new codex and the convenience of noise marine bitz/EC shoulder pads from Forge World are what's giving me the drive to start an Emperor's Children force.

I think I was just expecting more. As a Wolves player, I get a set box all to myself. I combine them with Space Marine Tactical Squads and I get two full squads of Grey Hunters that are not overly wolfed out plus extra bits.

So, I have no problem combining kits to make what I want, however I think it is horse crap to buy one kit (CSM box) and then a crap upgrade sprue that is not even worth it, Finecast or metal. If it was comparable to the BT or DA kits, I could see it being fair. As it is, EC are screwed. At least FW hs a full DG kit for converting. A 10 piece Fincecast from GW and pre-heresy shoulder pads from FW are crap.

I can see where you are coming from but I'm just excited they are making anything at all for EC even recasts, apart from 1k sons I think we get screwed over even more then squats. TBH this ed is shaping up pretty well now I can even convert DE as slaanesh cult oh delicious irony :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'll miss the SW level of support but I suspect you realise that already.

I think I was just expecting more. As a Wolves player, I get a set box all to myself. I combine them with Space Marine Tactical Squads and I get two full squads of Grey Hunters that are not overly wolfed out plus extra bits.

So, I have no problem combining kits to make what I want, however I think it is horse crap to buy one kit (CSM box) and then a crap upgrade sprue that is not even worth it, Finecast or metal. If it was comparable to the BT or DA kits, I could see it being fair. As it is, EC are screwed. At least FW hs a full DG kit for converting. A 10 piece Fincecast from GW and pre-heresy shoulder pads from FW are crap.

I'm sorry but don't you think you're being just a tad bit silly? Let's be fair, Games Workshop can only release so much before they're over exerting themselves. It's pretty commonly known that Emperor's Children, along with Thousand Sons are some of the most underplayed armies in chaos, if not the game itself. So, it stands to reason that creating a brand new line of plastic models for a unit that hadn't really sold well in the past seems a tad bit ridiculous.

You can't expect every army to have the same level of attention as the Space Puppies did. They are one of the most popular armies in Warhammer 40,000 and they sell like hot cakes. Not only that but they are a stand alone army that has its own codex and everything. Chaos consists of 9 major legions and dozens of lesser warbands/renegade chapters. It's only natural that they would focus the majority of their attention on undivided units that any legion/army can use and they, if they want, release supplements for the 4 pantheons at a later date.

I'd say, all things considered, we're pretty lucky getting any attention at all. They could have just stuck with the :evil:: metal conversion packs and nothing more but hell we got finecast. I may not like finecast but I'll take it over metal any day.

Then you are just selling yourself short by accepting what can barely even be considered the bare minimum of attention to the EC. I am happy with the codex release, but the only two armies I had any desire to purchase and play get screwed, EC/1k Sons.

And everyone knows the ONLY reason that EC and 1k Sons were not big draws is because the rules for them did not fit into the meta. Dual lash prince, PM, and Oblits was practically all you would see. Not much push for anything else. Considering the leaked rules now put some of the EC abilities into a new light (FnP/Dirge Casters/Sonic weapons), there is going to be a definite change in the meta with zero model support other then the crap sprue.

Again, it isn't the problem about having a sprue upgrade, the BT and DA are awesome. It is about having a crap sprue such as they did and then just making it Finecast. You say at least it isn't metal and all I do is question why it is just the same.

Not sure how I feel about salvo on sonic blasters. I really liked their versatility in the old dex, they were good at a pinch in cc [wiped out a few marine squads before actually getting into assault a few times in my day :) ] They also provided highly mobile [if in a rhino] mid-range fire support.

Salvo effectively ends NMs as an assault unit. It also restricts their mobility, and will probably only see use as objective campers or immobile mid-range fire support. They will be really good at both of these roles though, especially with ignore cover, and if you add in a doom siren they will get to put out a lot of overwatch shots.

Not sure where I'm going to get my assault troops from as there's no way I'm taking any Khorne in my Slaanesh army. Pretty much forces me to take Slaaneshy Daemon allies. Maybe that's what they wanted...

As to the lack of support from GW for Slaanesh, I feel this is a lot more to do with the fact that noise marines weren't competitive in the last 'dex rather than the other gods being more popular. FNP or +1 Initiative? Plague Marines it is then. Furious Charge or +1 Initiative? Beserkers it is then.

I can see Slaanesh marines [not necessarily Noise Marines] getting a lot more popular now that the Mark of Slaanesh gives FNP. If Noise Marines get FNP thrown in they become THE objective camping unit.

Finecast releases of the old metals is pretty disappointing, although it doesn't really affect me as I wold never buy finecast, and have about 40 noise marines with sonics already [including the FAR superior older versions with the studs all over them and the speaker backpacks] and Lucy and Doomrider in metal. Pretty sure finecast is all Slaanesh will get.

From what I understand, for assault troops you can take noise marines without the sonic blaster upgrade, give them a doom siren, and assuming you can take the Icon of Excess (which seems very likely), they will all have FnP. Take 9 in a Rhino and add in a Sorcerer of Slaanesh to give them Hysterical Frenzy or better yet Lucius for the 2nd Doom Siren and more close combat punch or a Chaos Lord with Daemon Weapon. That is a pretty good mop-up/assault unit IMO.

But as far as the Sorcerer of Slaanesh, he looks like he will be great when added to a noise marine squad with sonic blasters, using his Symphony of Pain and Sensory Overload to complement their sonic shots.

From what I understand, for assault troops you can take noise marines without the sonic blaster upgrade, give them a doom siren, and assuming you can take the Icon of Excess (which seems very likely), they will all have FnP. Take 9 in a Rhino and add in a Sorcerer of Slaanesh to give them Hysterical Frenzy or better yet Lucius for the 2nd Doom Siren and more close combat punch or a Chaos Lord with Daemon Weapon. That is a pretty good mop-up/assault unit IMO.

Sounds good, but noise marines without sonics aren't noise marines. Guess the idea still works with vanilla marines though [minus the ACs doom siren].

My thought is that Noise Marines are not Noise Marines without sonic weaponry, however not all EC are Noise Marines.

Most of my gaming tactics involves close support, so having midrange blasting Noise Marines supporting a forward assaulty EC squad would make me more then happy. Combined with cultists cannon fodder and Dirge casters removing the ability to Overwatch, it seems like you can get what you want, where you want it, without losing everything.

Faeit 212 wrote that FW HH will be 30k vs 30k, it will not work for 40k games, so I guess those models will be simple Havocs. Still, much better than GW havocs.

How do you think, will they allow for EC legion to replace Autocannons with Blastmasters and take sonic blasters for Terminators?

Faeit 212 wrote that FW HH will be 30k vs 30k, it will not work for 40k games, so I guess those models will be simple Havocs. Still, much better than GW havocs.

How do you think, will they allow for EC legion to replace Autocannons with Blastmasters and take sonic blasters for Terminators?

Basically, Warhammer 40k is too weak to deal with Warhammer 30k.

I am thinking that some things will change after the massacre for all Legions as they become more entrenched in Chaos. So there is the possibility of seeing FW released sonic weaponry maybe post dropsite massacre.

Ramses. Good points. I was hoping for something new for Slaanesh worshipers but it doesn't even look like the half arsed basic marine has been updated. Lovely new plastics and the hatecast looks good but I won't touch that stuff again. But where's the rest?

Oh, er, and I wasn't here ok. Don't tell Greenhorn :D

You know people think SW are a step away from Khorne worship but I always knew better - all that feasting and boasting are ripe for the Dark Princes tribute :P

We don't boast, we tell sagas...oh.

And I still wasn't here.

Archived