Are we over expecting things to come?

captain sox

Hey folks,

Been reading opinions on the new Chaos releases and it seems a lot of them are fairly disappointed in the release. After waiting a really long time for love, it appears many are feeling underwhelmed.

Should we prepare for the same? are we getting our hopes up too high for a new book? Will the DA be changed forever in a few months?

I'm excited for new models, and a new book, but I really hope they keep us unique. Unique doesn't mean robes and plasma galore. I hope we are really distinct, rather than just a Green verion of Vanilla.

How do you guys / gals feel? Hopeful? Fretful?

reason for edit: Overuse of the word Really. :devil:

Well, none of those chaos fans have read the codex, or play tested the rules.

There is some disappointment over some of the models released but there is always some models which are just not as good as others in a release (As a wolf player, I never liked Lukas the trickster or the Canis model and as a chaos fan I'm not happy with the new combat oblits). There is also eyebrow raising over pricing.

So..

1. rules-nobody has read them and the expectation for DA's is unclear at this time

2. Models-I've seen more mixed reviews vs unhappiness. The only models which seem to get a clear "I hate them" are the CC obits, but the others there are mixed reviews (which means there are a fair amount who like them or dislike them). Keep in mind some things take getting used to(for me the larger head and bolter GK's), and some things look better in person and at different angles. As it is a completely different theme, you just don't know how DA's will turnout in comparison. (expect some things you like and some you don't)

3. Pricing-Well I'd expect a 50 dollar book for DA's and similar pricing. Starting saving pennies now!

Well, I was hoping for cultists to be released with an actual box with perhaps some other weapon choices. (Grenade launchers or something.)

The one thing we've all really been waiting for is the book. I personally am waiting to get rules in hand before I buy anything else. So the only things on my list are the book and possibly the mecha dragon. The others I'm kinda luke-warm about.

I think what happened is, we saw the DV models and thought that all our models were going to start looking like that. Maybe get a new cast for regular CSM's and 'zerkers.

My son plays Chaos occasionally and has just boosted his army with 2x DV Chaos (I got 2x DA).

Some of the new models are... unimaginative! However appearance is one thing, playability is another. Given the names involved and their history with other armies I expect the Chaos AB to pack a few surprises, unwelcome surprises from our perspective.

So apart from Plasma rule, new dedicated flyer, some new models (finecast characters mainly) with new rules, a number of 'DA specific sprues' to enhance standard sets, some forgeworld options... no I'm not expecting a lot from the DA release. ;-)

One thing to remember about the Chaos codex (and our situation) is that we may not actually have seen all the models or box sets yet. It is possible that all we've seen are the kits for "new" things in the codex and more resculpts and other boxes may be coming at a later time.

Personally, I don't have my hopes way up for the DA release. I'm hoping we get some cool stuff, but no matter what, I'm expecting higher prices.

One thing to remember about the Chaos codex (and our situation) is that we may not actually have seen all the models or box sets yet. It is possible that all we've seen are the kits for "new" things in the codex and more resculpts and other boxes may be coming at a later time.

Personally, I don't have my hopes way up for the DA release. I'm hoping we get some cool stuff, but no matter what, I'm expecting higher prices.

This. This. This.

I am happy with the codex as is so it won't take much to please me. If anything, I'd just like DA to have its originality restored. Too many of the things that made DA separate and unique were given to other chapters courtesy of Mr. Ward.

Well, none of those chaos fans have read the codex, or play tested the rules.

There is some disappointment over some of the models released but there is always some models which are just not as good as others in a release (As a wolf player, I never liked Lukas the trickster or the Canis model and as a chaos fan I'm not happy with the new combat oblits). There is also eyebrow raising over pricing.

So..

1. rules-nobody has read them and the expectation for DA's is unclear at this time

2. Models-I've seen more mixed reviews vs unhappiness. The only models which seem to get a clear "I hate them" are the CC obits, but the others there are mixed reviews (which means there are a fair amount who like them or dislike them). Keep in mind some things take getting used to(for me the larger head and bolter GK's), and some things look better in person and at different angles. As it is a completely different theme, you just don't know how DA's will turnout in comparison. (expect some things you like and some you don't)

3. Pricing-Well I'd expect a 50 dollar book for DA's and similar pricing. Starting saving pennies now!

I lurk here every so often, but I am a Chaos player that just wanted to throw his two cents into the mix.

This statement was perfect for how it is, people seem to be underwhelmed on the models for some of the new Chaos stuff. The direction we are going is to show the things that have been living in the warp, created in the warp, become one with the warp over the course of 10k years. This is very shocking to the host of newer Chaos players that have started from 3.0 and on, they had only ever seen and known "Spikey Marines". This entire outlook is having people have a very mixed bag when it comes from the new models and themes from Codex CSM.

No one has seen the ENTIRE codex as of yet, though we do have a few rules from the current White Dwarf and to be honest, some of the stuff looks downright brutal. If you look at both of the new non-flying Daemon Engines you will quickly see two units that have some major strengths and weaknesses. Both are relatively cheap point wise (not monetarily :*( ), both have a sever amount of damage output, both have a more survivability than a typical Dreadnought. It Will Not Die & a 5++ make them both a little more beefy than the average walker.

The CC Oblits are very very cheap for basically a two wound assault terminator.

The Warpsmith sounds very very good, though I am personally unsure of the cost.

Our Raptors (Assault marines for those who do not have much experience with the verbage of CSMs) have been brought in line points wise to where they belong.

Bikers, same as the Raptors.

Check out the Daemon Princes stat line if you get a chance, it is insane. Though the price on it did go up accordingly. It needed it.

Plethora of new wargear and daemon weapons for us to tinker with.

A HUGE chart to roll on, not a huge deal and it is random...But it is also free as we roll on it whenever we kill an enemy champion in a challenge.

Our Dreadnoughts are now usable, this was one of the biggest complaints of all CSM players.

Cultists...Hellz yea, havent heard anyone say anything bad about them yet :P

I listed stuff just to show some of the good changes that have been confirmed via the White Dwarf. This is just the stuff that we can currently see, I don't see how many people can be to upset at it personally. Things that were in a bad spot point wise or rules wise were brought into line to where they should be (fixed), and the newer things all sound really really good currently. We don't know everything, but anyone who isn't just crying for the sake of crying cannot argue any of that. All they can cry about is the change in the theme of models being produced for CSM and the rules for things we do not yet know.

I think you will be fine, and you should be excited. I have read your current codex and i think it is probably more bland than the current CSM codex :) Be excited for something new.

One thing you have to do when evaluating the "fan response" is to consider the source (of the whining). Several of the boo-hooers are known to be so negative about absolutely everything that comes along that it's a wonder that they aren't supermods over on whineseer. You also have to bear in mind that most of the responses thus far are based on nothing more than what GW has released...which is pictures and a pinch of fluff for each new model. They haven't said word one about the contents of the codex itself. Will rubik marines go back to being W2 instead of 4++? How does a chainaxe work? A few people who claim to have knowledge of the warlord traits and psychic powers think they're so good they're broken. Surely that makes up for the ugly CC oblits? Apparently not in some people's minds ~eyeroll~ Overall, I'm anticipating that C:CSM, which I don't play and am not likely to start (too much else on my painting table for the forseeable future), is going to be top-tier for quite some time. Who cares if GW threw in a few new models that might turn out to be about as useful as vespids?

Are we over expecting things to come?

Er, nope! Well, that depends on what your expecting doesn't it? ;P

For my own part: Updated rules, couple of new minis, maybe a new character etc.

It doesn't have to be revolutionary.

Just as long they don't muck up the fluff.... which they almost certainly will.

I'm just going with the flow. Whatever the powers that be decide to include in our rulebook, I'll tailor my current army to the new rules and hopefully be able to add some additional units or models. But don't touch our history: the lore of the Dark Angels is probably more important than anything else, and should be expanded upon, not retconned.

And hey, a Land Speeder Tempest would be nice. :)

Honestly, I've been teetering on the edge of dropping 40k entirely, lock stock and fluffy barrel, for over a year now. The next DA codex will decide my fate.

But, while the Chaos release is pretty pathetic, I've learned over the 10+ years I've been involved in this thing never to judge one GW release by another. I can't say how many times I've seen GW come out with something amazing one month, everyone gushes about how we've turned a page in the hobby, GW has never done anything better, blah blah, and then the next month come out with something absolutely laughable. Or vice versa. A universally panned release and everyone is prognosticating doom and gloom for GW, then another price hike, rage foments on the Internet, then GW comes out with something like Space Hulk and the praise ascends to the heavens.

The one thing that IS consistent, though, is GW's pricing. When they raise prices, they raise 'em. The one thing we can judge about the DA release from the Chaos one is that it will be expensive. Count on it.

My hopes are high for one reason... good or bad any new release will stimulate more activity and fervour within these forums.... and we mods thrive on the life force of your presence here!!! :cuss :(

SG

Just the anticipation of a new codex has brought players to the forums new and old. I can't wait to see the activity when a new dex actually drops. Though I can hardly keep up with the threads as is.

I'm with FerociousBeast on this one.

6E DA will decide whether I stay in 40K or move on. Overall, I really like 6E's rule-set, but if 6E DA becomes another guinea pig, I'll spend my money on something else. The end.

Archived