Lightning on vehicles/daemon engines

Hellrender

Hey guys,

with the upcoming releases, GW painted lightning on the armour parts of the Helldrake. Made me wonder a bit, since i only ever saw it on infantry. So, do the night lords have their lightning only on their tda/pa or also on vehicles like rhinos and dread, aswell as the new daemon engines?

and i was hoping, if someone with more knowledge, could explain the lightning of the night lords. Where it comes from, or what it is :blink:

The lightning iconography of the Night Lords is heavily symbolic; it derives from their favoured ethos of striking fast and brutally, without giving the enemy time to organise themselves or even realise they are being attacked. It also seems to refer to their penchant for using fear and psychological tactics to undermine their enemy's morale before striking. They are, effectively, a force of nature; creatures that strike without reason or discrimination, destroying all that they touch. This is what the lightning symbolises.

And yes; they utilise the lightning symbolism on their vehicles as well as armour, along with "terror markings" designed to make them look more monstrous and daemonic. Not a nice bunch, the Night Lords.

Well I have personally seen many people put some lightning onto Dreads and even a few arcs over a rhino or something, but I'm not sure if that's cannon or just a Do-It-Yourself.

Also, I've been wondering the exact same thing about the power armor generating lightning or however it works...My guess would be it is simply another function of their armor, much like the Alpha Legion having armor that can shield them from auspex scanning, or the Blood Angels having armor with nipples :blink:

The NLs in AD-B's trilogy paint the lightning onto their armour. It isn't 'real' lightning.

I'd assume that it's the same with most NLs. Some of the more devout or possessed NLs might have warp-lightning on their armour, but the majority have it painted on.

In my opinion, warp lightning is silly, it's painted on. Some stories describe living or warp lightning, while they might not be silly stories, they are using a silly meme. Actual lightning would make a marine extremely visible at night time. I'm sure some have demented armor or dark mechanicus modified warplate that actually has lightning arcing about, but it'd be uncommon at least. As for vehicles, I've rarely seen a night lords army that didn't paint lightning on the models. There is no right answer though so go with your gut with either.

The NLs in AD-B's trilogy paint the lightning onto their armour. It isn't 'real' lightning.
And that is how it has always been, until in 2007, when the codex writers decided that it should be real lightning playing across the armour plates - which is just stupid.

Yes, they paint lightning on their vehicles as well.

My 2 Kraks

The lightning iconography of the Night Lords is heavily symbolic; it derives from their favoured ethos of striking fast and brutally, without giving the enemy time to organise themselves or even realise they are being attacked. It also seems to refer to their penchant for using fear and psychological tactics to undermine their enemy's morale before striking. They are, effectively, a force of nature; creatures that strike without reason or discrimination, destroying all that they touch. This is what the lightning symbolises.

And yes; they utilise the lightning symbolism on their vehicles as well as armour, along with "terror markings" designed to make them look more monstrous and daemonic. Not a nice bunch, the Night Lords.

:P You make the Night Lords sound exactly like who I pctured them to be. :)

But yeah, lightning was painted until 2007. To be honest, the 4th Ed Codex is the only one I have ever heard of warp lightning being in. Beside some fanfic. Even Acerbus didn't have warp lightning. IIRC, he had streamers of shadow that followed, twisted and writhed around him as if he was a giant blotch of night given form.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the codex: So i can finally decide for some weapons for the Hellbrute. I am also in the process of building some night lord marines, so some pics will follow at one point.

But.. now i saw artwork on page 12, of some night lords, and to me, that Lightning does not look painted on, but rather real lightning/electricity jumping over their armour. What do you guys think of that?

Personally, I hate the idea f real lightning on Night Lords. I much prefer the days when it as painted, and in my Nightlords warband, it is all painted on! o warp lightning here. The picture on page 12 is phooey in my opinion.

Decide for yourself which you prefer. If you like warp lightning, call it warp lightning, if you prefer the oldschool painted lightning, call it that. I know my Nightlords will never acknowledge the existence of warp lightning!

As for Vehicles, I love lightning on them! Here are mine:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Danny_Cyanide/minis/NL-tanks.jpg

Good luck with your Nightlords!

I finally got the codex: So i can finally decide for some weapons for the Hellbrute. I am also in the process of building some night lord marines, so some pics will follow at one point.

But.. now i saw artwork on page 12, of some night lords, and to me, that Lightning does not look painted on, but rather real lightning/electricity jumping over their armour. What do you guys think of that?

It is a (imho bad) retcon that got introduced in the previous Codex.

So yeah I am with Danny Cyanide on this one, real lighting is just daft.

Wicked looking metal boxes as well.

Think of it as a mixture. The less "tainted" Night Lords paint on the lightning. Assuming they even paint it on. The more tainted Night Lords, like the one in The Masters, Bidding(who was also a newblood) would have actual warp lightning crawling across their armor. Now, in certain situations, it could be cool. But on a whole Legion of relatively "pure" Traitors, it quickly loses any appeal it may have had. As this Codex is more about being tainted by the warp, the Night Lords featured are supposed to have warp lightning that crawls across them. And somehow we moved from the Raptor Legion to the redundant Talon Legion. It isn't generated by the armor. It's more like Lucius' armor with the screaming faces, except that it's lightning.

Like Dammeron said, it's reflective of the Night Lords' MO of attacking so fast that enemy never has time to react as well as a sort of symbolism of their fear tactics along with other terror markings(skulls, hands, fingers, heads, whatever you can think of). Think of the paint on the armor as lightning in the storm. Think of the knives and bolters as the thunder that follows the lightning.

Archived