new to Dark Angels

tomsev

I don't know anyone who takes him. For me, the problem is that you need a real beatstick of a squad to justify Azzy's points cost...like a full squad of power-sword veterans...with apothecary and banna wava. The problem is that the standard bearer and medic are command squad options, and command squads cap out at five models...so no dice there...but it really would take a full squad with five (2 base, AHW, banner) power weapon attacks on the charge to justify the points that it costs to get the squad that 4+ invulnerable save...and you'd probably want a diviner in there, too, to give them rerolls...and a crusader for them to ride around in...what's that, a thousand points for one unit that isn't even legal...

The short answer is that azzy is too expensive.

He is good if you plan to run him with veterans. The invulnerable save mitigates (somewhat) the need for stormshields but you need a LR to make them effective assault units.

So... Get the pay check ready because the cost is going to be humongous.

It has worked many times, but its really hit or miss. They must reach the enemy line and if they dont.... Half the army is gone. Too many eggs in one basket.

Since I'm not that competetive, I tend to use it because I didn't have many other options for HQ. I still will be using him because I only have one Land Raider and thats it. I attach him to a command or vet squad and get him in close. Master Crafted weapons and the Lion Helm alone make him worth it for me. Once I begin to get more armor, it will probably change.

I used him once with Deathwing. He is expensive but he can go with a shooty squad of DW without missing out on too much without the Storm Shields. He's capable (for his points) in melee and his combi-plasma can add diversity to the squad. Belial (who is very cheap) makes the unit scoring so you don't have to worry about him supporting a non-scoring unit.

Aside from that, I've seen him taken once supporting a Devastator squad (giving them a what is effectively cover and supporting with his gun) but a Librarian with Divination is probably a better use of points.

I used the combo in apoc, where points didn't matter, (especially considering I fielded a full company), they were effective but, they spent most of the time holding a rear position against crons

I've long been troubled by the number of boots on the ground I (don't) have with my Deathwing, so at higher points have been toying with the idea of an allied IG blob. Pretty sure I could stick Az in with them so 56 models benefit from the 4++, mitigating his cost slightly. It does means points spent on 3 HQ choices unfortunately. However, I'm not sure how board appropriate this comment is, so won't take it further.

+ Edited out phone malfunction... +

Archived