Meph vs SR

Ushtarador

Hey guys!

I'm gonna play in a tournament soon, and due to the restrictions it's not really viable to play both mephi and a stormraven. I would like to discuss which of the two you would rather include in your list on 1500pts and why (there are no fortifications allowed, so no quad-gun for anti-air). :)

The SR can carry around a cheap scoring unit and is the best anti-air unit in our codex, also it has a lot of firepower with hurricane bolters. Mephi is a very durable one-man army who can take out a lot of threats without support, making him a very versatile and dangerous unit. Both are awesome choices, it's really quite hard for me to decide.

-Christoph

Depends on what your list is.

A list that needs mephy might not need a raven, they are wildly different tools.

The only times live faced fliers, I've slaughtered them with weight of fire, but six plasma rifles will do that to armour ten.

Don't really fear ravens either, i don't have any good targets for it to hit.

The only times live faced fliers, I've slaughtered them with weight of fire, but six plasma rifles will do that to armour ten.

You have a 66% chance of doing ONE glance or pen with 6 plas at more than 12". Goes up double that at 12". And thats only AV10- never mind AV12. Doesn't sound particularly reliable.

Don't really fear ravens either, i don't have any good targets for it to hit.

Not sure this makes much sense. Ravens can be equipped to have almost any weapon.

They can nuke vehicles, termies, pallies, hordes ..you name it. No fear for ravens seems a bit strange to me.

Whats your thinking/strat behind that?

I think Morticon has the right of it. From the batreps I've been reading, you NEED at least some anti-air at a tournament nowadays, and if fortifications are not allowed (which seems an odd ruling) then I think you need a Storm Raven. I wouldn't rely on plasma guns for the reasons Morticon stated, plus there ARE a number of AV12 flyers out there. If you run up against Valkyrie-heavy Imperial Guard those plasmas won't do too much.

So my vote would be for the Raven.

If you have no anti-air, id strongly consider the raven.

Just from one 6th ed tourney experience it was really clear that lists that had no answer for aerial stuff got boned.

I can back that up, 2 out of the 6 games I played the turn it arrived my raven cleared objectives. Take the hurricane bolters the fire power is awesome.

Remember that in big guns never tire the raven is scoring.

If I could take both, I would immediately. But I posted my list and restrictions in here, if I take both I can't really put in anything else (except tacticals, and I don't have the models^^). Now I got people to click on my thread, gogo make suggestions :)

I always slap hurricane bolters on my ravens, even against marines the volume of fire is amazing :lol: Being scoring in 1 mission certainly helps. Mort, how was your experience with the plasma cannon and LC? Do you think they are better choices than the assault cannon?

@nicodemus Most lists won't be able to have more than 2 flyers, so no fortifications shouldn't be too bad I hope.

Archived