Pre-Codex Purchases

Burn_the_Heretic

As a new player I have started to build my force from the dark vengeance box set in anticipation of the new codex. However, as I'd like to play the game to learn how it works I will be fielding my forces as C:SM until whenever our codex comes out. As a result of the starter box and some older DW purchases I have:

1 x Force Commander

1 x Librarian

1 x Chaplain

1 x Terminator Chaplain

1 x Tactical Squad

1 x Bike Squad

2 x Terminator Squads

2 x Terminator Assault Squads.

I also have a friend who is trading me his DA models for my Chaos models from Dark Vengeance, so I'll also have another tactical squad, commander, librarian, terminator squad and bike squad, My question is this: is there anything I can get to field in a regular Space Marine army that will likely be useful in a DA army? I'd like to anticipate things which would be useful in both, as a person who's never played either.

I would add an Assault Squad and stop there, as you would have a decent-sized army already. In the mean time, build and paint all of that stuff. If you manage to get that all done before the codex comes out, good for you. If you do finish with that, then you might add a couple Rhinos/Razorbacks, a Land Speeder, and a Land Raider Crusader. If you were to add all of that, I would very much stop there, unless you feel a burning need to also get a Whirlwind and a Vindicator, which you could do. I might add a Scout Squad too, just to have some of those in there. That would probably be the limit, as what you would then have could be mechanized to some degree and you would have enough of a variety of unit types to fill out an FOC well enough, excepting you would still only have 20 Troops models in the form of the two Tactical Squads, unless you also run Belial/Sammael. I think that would veer away enough from what special new models for DA will come out. Even if GW did come out with a special DA Land Raider Variant, seeing as you have a good amount of Terminators already, you'd probably want another Land Raider anyways.

I wouldnt bother with an assault squad, I'd wait till the codex gives you their cost and 'stuff'.

I'd invest in a landspeeder (or 2?) and magnetize it all the way. And/or an attack bike.

I wouldnt touch the new terminators too, not until the new dex is there.

Make a nice 1000 points list, paint it up, and play wth it. As soon a the dex hits the stores, you are ready to expand your army.

Good luck!

Rhino's for your tactical squads (Buy Razorbacks, only $4 USD more)

Rhino (again, Razorback) for command squad

a Land Raider couldnt hurt either.

Buy several of the DA Veteran Upgrade sprues and the DA Vehicle sprues before they are taken down in prep for DA launch. I'm sure these will be taken down soon and will end up being more expensive later on.

Buy several of the DA Veteran Upgrade sprues and the DA Vehicle sprues before they are taken down in prep for DA launch. I'm sure these will be taken down soon and will end up being more expensive later on.

This is actually good advice. I have 3 boxes sitting in my boxes bin un-opened just in case :)

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into some Land Speeders. I have some DA conversion bits I can use to customise them. What Heavy Support options can you recommend as staple DA takes?

Also, thanks for the 1000 points suggestion. I've made a proto list which will let me learn the game a bit until our codex comes out.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into some Land Speeders. I have some DA conversion bits I can use to customise them. What Heavy Support options can you recommend as staple DA takes?

Also, thanks for the 1000 points suggestion. I've made a proto list which will let me learn the game a bit until our codex comes out.

I try to always take a Vindicator. I just love their boom so much ;)

I would not worry about heavy support options just yet, rumor has it DA will be getting a new predator with a plasma weapon of some kind. Wait until the Codex comes out.

The 1000pt army is a good suggestion to learn the game. I'd use the standard SM codex until we get the new DA dex.

Here is my suggestion, and you would only need to buy 2 Rhino's (buy Razorback kits)

+++ 1000pt DV Starter Dark Angels (1000pts) +++

Selections:

+ HQ +

* Captain

Artificer Armour, Combi-Plasma, Melta Bombs, Relic Blade

+ Elites +

* Terminator Squad

Assault Cannon, Terminator Sergeant

* Terminator

Power Fist

* Terminator

Power Fist

* Terminator

Power Fist

* Terminator

Chainfist

+ Troops +

* Tactical Squad

Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Rhino, 9x Space Marine

* Space Marine Sergeant

Chainsword, Plasma Pistol

* Tactical Squad

Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Rhino, 9x Space Marine

* Space Marine Sergeant

Chainsword, Plasma Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

* Space Marine Bike Squad

Plasma Gun, 3x Space Marine Biker

* Biker Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs

• 3 weeks later...

yep RW battle force is a good buy for the units themselves and for the extra bits. you will need to pick up some special weapons either from your bits box or from a bits site/GW. i would also suggest picking up some magnets so you can swap these around (ideally you want 4 of each weapon so you can run either 2 squads with 2 weapons each or one big squad) plus to magetise the speeder and attack bike

its also even better if you buy the RW attack force from somewhere with a discount! shop around and you'll get it somewhere between 20-25% cheaper than direct from GW

I try to always take a Vindicator. I just love their boom so much :)

I second the vindicator idea. But magnetize the shield so you could also call it a rhino. I love my Vindi, with in shot I took out 2 necron buses, 5 warriors from inside the pair, and 9 dire avengers that were standing in between them. It's a sexy tank! Granted I lost it next turn due to scarabs entropic strike... But I did some heavy damage to it

the only reason i woulnt recommend a vindicator/predator/whirlwind is that in the new dex you dont know what will happen withthe heavy support and you may want the shiney new toy (plasma predator potentially). that said - liberal use of magnets and you can swap between rhino/razor and one of the above. my personal preference is whirlwinds or predators but i do prefer longer ranged tanks

the safe option is to stick with a troops option and the RW force is 'likely' to stay as is

The RW battle force is one of the best suits we've had for a loooooooong time in terms of bikes and speeders.

Now that we will be swamped by the DV bikes...not so sure.

Suggestion? If you plan on ebay-ing for the bikes, don't get the RW battleforce.

The only "plus" I see is that if you like converting, you get A TON of DA bits.

I say you get a couple or ten games, roll your models on the table and get a feeling of what you need.

IME, with the following you'll probably have more than necessary to build any DW/RW combination:

- 20 terminators (magnetize the heavy weapons. If you're really feeling like it, also the arms. Its a pain, but it pays).

- 12 bikes (magnetize the special weapons, really easy)

- 3 attack bikes (yep, you guessed it, magnetize the weapons)

- 20 tacticals (hard to magnetize...so don't go that way :jaw:)

You're at 1k of DW and 870 RW roughly....which with the HQ and the odd support units, you'd be hitting the 2k mark, with tons of flexibility

Dreads, LS and rhino...are considered common tools in our army, but:

a.- they are expensive € wise

b.- anything that has hull points right now has gone down in the Survivability Stock Exchange

c.- its easy our new codex brings new options...so magnetize!

Hope it helps!

It comes with an old land speeder sprue (before the TML), 7 bike sprues, an attack bike upgrade sprue, and I think 5 ravenwing upgrade sprues. I think it's worth the price, but I bought mine before the last price increase.

does the RW Battle force just come with the single DA vehicle sprue? Cheers

You have A LOT of bits and pieces :tu:

If you want something specific, try checking out the sprue thread here at BnC or maybe ask and we might know :P

does it come with 5 RW sprues? i expected it to come with 3 RW sprues (you need 7 front plates for the bikes and there are 3 per sprue)

i bought all my bikes pre the RW boxset. and need to bits buy the front plates etc as i only have a couple of RW sprues to tart up my old RW now that i'm redoing them

It is supposed to come with three upgrade sprues. I have bought 4 in the last few years for a true Ravenwing Force. With the new DV bikes so cheap, I would still get at least one Ravenwing Force box. It is a steal (My FLGS still has it at $90) and you can supplement of eBay for more bikes.

Archived