dreadnought weapon destroyed

AL13N

I have a question with the new rules set or just in general if my Dreadnought suffers a weapon destroyed. Under the new rules it is random. It currently has 3 weapons CCW, Stormbolter, Multimelta. Now I have been told that If the random roll is CCW or stormbolter I also lose the other?! Is this true? Why would we be rolling a d6 in 3rds and finding weapon? Why not just split it into arms and say half right arm half left arm? Please help me understand.

Thanks ahead of time.

Mark

Nope, I'm going to disagree here -

The rules say to randomly determine which weapon suffers the Weapon Destroyed result.

Take an example Dreadnought armed with an Assault Cannon and a DCCW w/Stormbolter. The example Dreadnought has three weapons which can suffer the Weapon Destroyed result. The odds of losing the Assault Cannon are 1/3, while the odds of losing the DCCW and the Stormbolter are 1/3 each totaling 2/3. By rolling for each arm you are altering the chances of losing the Assault Cannon to 1/2, a 50% increase in the likelyhood of losing that weapon.

You should follow the RAW unless you discuss it and house rule it first.

Actually it was very clear in 5th.

5th ed. BRB FAQ

Q: When a Damaged -Weapon Destroyed result is rolled and a weapon is destroyed are any built-in, combi or co-akial weapons attached to it also destroyed ?(p61)

A: Yes.

The rules for DCCW (5th ed. BRB pg.73 ) also state that built in weapons are removed if the DCCW is removed.

The wording in the current rules has dropped that wording.

Actually it was very clear in 5th.

5th ed. BRB FAQ

Q: When a Damaged -Weapon Destroyed result is rolled and a weapon is destroyed are any built-in, combi or co-akial weapons attached to it also destroyed ?(p61)

A: Yes.

The rules for DCCW (5th ed. BRB pg.73 ) also state that built in weapons are removed if the DCCW is removed.

The wording in the current rules has dropped that wording.

It has not.

The Vehicle Damage Table in the 6th Ed rulebook, Pg.74 entry for Weapon Destroyedstates that "One of the vehicle's weapons (randomly chosen) is destroyed - including any combi- or built in weapons.". The Codex: Space Marines entry for a Dreadnought states that a Dreadnought is armed with "Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon (with built in Stormbolter)", Pg.137. So in 6th Ed a DCCW with built in weapon will still lose both on a Weapon Destroyed result applied to either, it's just that you must now randomly determine which weapon is destroyed. As each wepaon has an equal chance of being randomly chosen, rolling for an arm alters the odds of losing each weapon.

surely 3 weapons means d3 roll

Example

1-2 assault cannon

3-4 storm bolter

5-6 DCCW (& storm bolter)

This is because you are rolling for a random weapon, and the storm bolter on its own is a weapon, whilst the DCCW includes the storm bolter, the storm bolter could be damaged separatly.

could be wrong though, and it goes a bit fishy when you start getting dreads with 2 DCCW's, with 2 Built in ranged weapons, though you could just get a d4,d8,d12 out :tu:

then rolling d3 you are drastically altering the chances that the NON close combat arm is going to get destroyed....

if you give two chances that one are in gone and one to the other.........

d2 gives equal odds to each arm since you still lose all attached weapons.

To me, it looks like it would need to be discussed prior to the game.

I can see three possible reading of this:

1) Roll a D3.

-1 - The Assault Cannon gets destroyed.

-2 - The DCCW gets destroyed, as does the built-in storm bolter.

-3 - The Storm bolter get destroyed, but as it is built into the DCCW and not the other way around, the DCCW is fine.

2) Roll a D2.

-1 - The Assault Cannon is destroyed

-2 - The DCCW & Storm Bolter is destroyed

3) Roll a D3.

-1 - The Assault Cannon gets destroyed.

-2 - The DCCW gets destroyed, as does the built-in storm bolter.

-3 - The Storm bolter get destroyed, as is the DCCW since they are combined.

To me all three seems possible within RAW, although I suspect that it is 2) that is RAI...

To me all three seems possible within RAW, although I suspect that it is 2) that is RAI...

If we are going to bring in RAI ... I think it is indented to only count things like twin-linked weapons or anything that fires multiple weapons with a single pull of the trigger like hurricane bolters. Unfortunantly, what is intended is not always clear so until it is FAQed, we go with what is written. ... not that this is any clearer in this case ... but there you go.

I know this is under some heated debate but this is actually how I read it and or how I think it should work thus my play group actually agreed with me the noob!?!?

D3

1-2 Multimelta destroyed

3-4 Storm Bolter Destroyed

5-6 CCW destroyed along with Storm bolter since CCW controls where Storm bolter shoots.

Does any of this make sense to you guys?

Mark Thanks for your reply!

I know this is under some heated debate but this is actually how I read it and or how I think it should work thus my play group actually agreed with me the noob!?!?

D3

1-2 Multimelta destroyed

5-6 CCW destroyed along with Storm bolter since CCW controls where Storm bolter shoots.

I agree with this.

D3

1-2 Multimelta destroyed

Makes sense, and how I'd play it.

Archived