Blood Angel allied detachment

L30n1d4s

I am a GK player and looking to find a strong alled detachment for my base army for competitive play. I wanted to come here and ask veteran BA players (i.e. the experts in your codex) what they would recommend for around a 500 point allied BA detchment. Obviously GKs don't have any Battle Brothers, so my main force and allies can't help on another with abilities, Pyschic powers, etc. instead, I am looking for something to tactically compliment my GK foundation.

For reference, my base 1500 point army is:

HQ (340)

-Coteaz

-Grandmaster with Rad grenades, Blind Grenades, Psycannon

EL (655)

-10 GK Paladins with 4 Psycannons, Botherhood Banner

TR (185)

-3 Warrior Acolytes with 3 melta guns, Pysback

-3 Warrior Acolytes with 3 melta guns, Pysback

HS (310)

-Dreadknight with Great Sword

-Dreadknight with Great Sword

That leaves me with 510 points to get to a full 200 point army.

What I was thinking is adding:

HQ (100)

-Librarian with 2 rolls on Divination table (Prescience and whatever power is bet remaining)

EL (325)

-10 Sternguard, 6 Combi-meltas, Drop Pod with Locator Beacon

TR (85)

-5 Scout Squad with Sniper Rifles, ML

Sternguard, Libby, and Drop Pod come down turn one and hit a critical enemy unit. In later turns, Locator Beacon can pull in Dreadknights teleporting in right on target. Scout Squad provides cheap scoring unit to hold on to my objective in the back field while Paladins/Coteaz/GM advance and Dread Knights teleport in (hiefully turn 2, with Psychic Communion help) to assist Sternguard on enemy flank.

Thoughts/advice/critique from veteran BA players?

Thanks in advance.

You can only take 9 Sternguard + Libby in the pod. Our drop pods only have a 10 model capacity.

Then, I don't see why taking a Blood Angels detachment at all. You'd be better off with a normal SM list because you have nothing in this detachment that SM don't have, save for the prescience Libby, which can be compensated by using Lysander, and your 10 Sternguard + Lysander could ride in a pod. :P.

Other than that, it's a pretty basic loadout. Nothing special and you're not using any strengths that C:BA offers you, this detachment is rather an imitation of successful C:SM builds.

Snorri

OK, so what do you recommend? If you think this is weak, what do BA allied detachments add? I appreciate your time in answering that you think this is weak, but what would you recommend instead?

For example, maybe a full ASM squad with 2 MGs, a JP Libby leading them, and a Baal Pred with Flamestorm cannon instead?

Hmmm.... I am to sure if you are mocking or agreeing... Any original commentary/advice?

No, I think that is a good plan, imho better than your previous and adds more to your army.

The flanking Pred is a unit you'll lose but is effective nontheless.

Cheers,

This a Tabling list. I think you need to go the other direction with it-- rather than trying to pick up scoring units, you need to take something ridiculously mobile and smashy.

5 Sniper Scouts. Mephiston. 3 Attackbikes with Multimeltas. 475pts.

Edit: Of course you have no answers for flyers, so you may want to drop the Attack Bikes and get a Stormraven. Blood Angels are a touch better than Grey Knights' raven due to the Bloodstrikes versus the Mindstrikes.

Also, for your original Plan-- Librarians cannot cast Blessings or Maledictions on the turn they arrive from reserves. So the Librarian would do nothing for a turn if he dropped in with the Sternguard.

To spin off of CitadelArmyGuy - if you want something mobile and smashy (note to self: remember that awesome term), why not go whole hog and get a unit or two of Death Company with jump packs or a Stormraven? If your goal really is to table the opponent all the time, they'll definitely make up their points, especially with a Reclusiarch on hand. I'd offer some setup with points, but DC can be loaded out a ton of different ways (even more thanks to 6th edition's power weapon details), so I'll leave that part to what you think you would need your unit to do best.

I think some people are wrong in the sense of just going to take regular SM for the fact that our Tactical Squad and Devastator Squads are cheaper in load outs for specific gear. Another thing that you should look at is some fire support. Baal Predators are a good choice with the assault cannon and flamestorm is for outflanking. These would also help get you up the table with front armor 13 and hiding your razorbacks behind them. Other things are Vindicators which can do some damage against terminators and other 2+ models. If you want some synergy for your current list I personally would recommend

Librarian - 100

10 man Scout Squad w/ Camo Cloaks, Snipers, Locator Beacon - 180

Baal Predator w/ Assault Cannon - 115

Baal Predator w/ Assault Cannon - 115

This comes out to a grand total of 510 points. With this set up you would block los and give cover to your more effective Psybacks. This would also be used to infiltrate the scouts to get the locator beacon to a optimal mid field position. The librarian is there to move up with the vehicles and give cover saves to the Baal Predators with Wings and Shield. Just hide him right in the (_|_) of a baal predator.

Blood Angels are a touch better than Grey Knights' raven due to the Bloodstrikes versus the Mindstrikes.

Don't forget skies of blood > shadow skies. We can disembark if we get velocity locked, they can't (SoB is done in the movement phase, SS is done after the vehicle turbo-boosts, which a velocity locked flyer can't do).

Id consider some jumpy support potentially?

Libby+ JP,

10 Asslt- MG, Flmr, Fist

and a Baal Pred.

However, as mentioned, I do feel you're weak on anti-air, so id consider Raven.

The thing is that BA are so much about synergy, once you limit yourself to a certain points level you're doing yourself a disservice. FNP and FC are really important, but require priests - so more points. Libbies are great and cheap and maybe best in this situation.

So lets take libby as the base.

100points.

Now, to make the best of our points, we want the libby to supply support to whatever else is in the list.

But, to avoid the issue of priests and added costs we have one choice thats worth while for troops. DC.

Alternatively, go the scout route - a cheap unit that doesnt require the buffs of BA.

How you transport the DC is a problem, since JP DC are so overpriced. Land Raider is possible, but sucks up all your points.

I believe you need to ask what role do you want filled.

My suggestions for 510 point detachments would be:

Libby

8 Stern - Axe, Hvy Flamer, 2 combis

Rhino

8 Scouts - ML

or

Libby

9 DC - Axe, Fist

Rhino

10 Scouts

or

Libby - JP

8 Asslt - Axe, MG

Raven

or

Libby

5 Asslt

Razor - heavy weapon of choice.

5 Asslt

Whirlwind/Typhoon Speeder

or

Libby

Corbs

8 Asslt - Axe, MG

Rhino

2 Attack Bikes- MM

Libby

5 Asslt

5 Asslt

Whirlwind/Typhoon Speeder

I would say that this is not a viable option for adding anything to this army. I say this because GK razorbacks are better and can be taken for less points especially in this type of list. I do like the other options and open a lot of different doors.

Archived