Army Painter Angel Green

Zhent

So I've got a relatively large number of marines to paint, and I'm trying to find a way to get through them all without spending hours on each guy, as they only really have to end up at TT quality. Has anyone used the Army Painter Angel Green color spray for their army? Does it match up well against the GW colors [i've already painted about 20 marines, and I don't want there to be a noticeable difference between the two sets]

Thanks!

Short answer - no!

The Army painter green is matt and DA green is glossy and it is lighter than Caliban Green.

I use it all the time on vehicles as a base spray which means that you only need a light coat of the GW green rather than multi-layers.

On figures you would have to do the same.

Damn. I was hoping this would be a great solution. I may end up trying it anyways, just to see how it looks. I end up matte clearcoating the models anyways, once the paint is all dry, so perhaps the difference won't be that significant.

Thanks!

I would imagine you've be able to combat some of the differences by applying washes or shades to the basecoat?

Perhaps prime in Angel Green, then shade with Nuln Oil (or Badab Black, as I call it).

This might give you the deeper green that you're looking for?

Cheers,

WW

I use it on EVERY greenwing model! But, my esteemed brothers are correct, It is not a match. What you need to do is Get a pot of nuln oil, a pot of biel tan green, and well mix them in one of the pots and shake well. It darkens the green perfectly, and shades at the same time! It's super easy, super time saving and cuts paint time like nobody's business!

make sure you take the GW label off the pot, so you din't confuse it with another wash! (experience talking)

Last Year I had to paint about 10000pts of DA in 6 months hence chose the Angel Green solution.

Actually it depends how your DA look like. I mean we all have our way to paint the green, if you look around here you'll see very dark/nearly black DA as well as very enlightened DA...

What I propose you is a comparison :

On the left you have a DA painted on a black undercoat, with DA green using GW airbrush

On the right you have a DA painted with a black undercoat using angel green.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/IMGP2248.jpg

Difference is weak huh?

Here you have a crusader made with angel green spray can before the enlightments

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/IMGP2331.jpg

And after :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/IMGP2350.jpg

To me Angel green is THE way to go for DA now. It brings coherency cos the difference is not noticeable with my models painted with DA green. On the opposite I fear the difference if I start using the Caliban green.

Gloss or matte shouldn't matter unless you don't seal your models with some kind of varnish. Myself, I like Testors Dullcoat that gives a very nice, solid protective coat that makes the entire model matte. If you want to "re-shine" stuff later, like a gem or glass lens, paint over with a little Gloss Varnish. For metallics- just paint over the metallic areas again.

All of the GW washes dry very matte- which could make your mini look weird if the base coat dries a bit shiny.

Avoghai - Thanks for those pictures. They do make it look much closer than I had worried, enough that it is probably worth picking up a bottle and trying it myself.

I definitely think I can drag the green down to the color I am looking for with a couple of coats of nuln oil.

I did a couple test models with it and I used it as a base, then washed it with black and then used DA green to hit the center and edges of the plates. Was a nice dark shade of green. I like it, but that's my personal preference. I don't have a decent camera yet but when I do in the next couple days I can take a couple shots of what it looks like.

Archived