Febelcrofas' Ultra-jazz (Storm Talon Finished!)

Febelcrofas

Hi all, having just finished my first company command squad and failing to get more than two painted wings on my storm talon despite havng it since its release, as well as having a whole slew of new bits to work on I thought I'd just put all my ultra-smurfs in one big happy bosch.
So things I'm working on at the moment

Storm talon. I've fully highlighted both wing sections and base coated the whole thing. Spent a long time on the techmarine and burned out after I realised how little of the highly painted cockpit was visible!

gallery_66259_7343_810588.jpg
gallery_66259_7343_944518.jpg
gallery_66259_7343_1079813.jpg

Multi-melta attack bikes. 2 of these on the go. I started batch painting them but soon got bored and forged ahead with one which I would say is 70% complete

gallery_66259_7786_656488.jpg
gallery_66259_7786_100244.jpg

A new and improved sgt. All my old sgts had power fists as I used to be a bit obsessed with them. However much as I still love them sense has now prevailed and I've remodelled a couple to give me the option to tone it down a bit! Here is the rebirth of an old friend
Sgt Hyperion:

gallery_66259_7786_570040.jpg

The next item is a new kit bash, using grey knights and standard sm kits I have created a counts-as korsarro khan for my ultra jazz as I've been feeling the desire to outflank my asault terminators lately!

gallery_66259_7786_226150.jpg

Also I have a few other bits and pieces to do, namely a rhino/razorback for my command squad and wethering on my tanks etc.

Any c and c is most welcome and I hope you enjoy my cack-handed fumblings and attempts to be organised and paint things in a sensible and orderly fashion (whilst failing abysmally).

Thanks, Febelcrofas

Really nice work Febelcrofas :) I really like the tone of blue you've got (how did you achieve that?) and that Techmarine looks mighty fine :D It's just a shame that you can see him that much...

Looking forward to your next update ;)

Ludovic

• 6 months later...

Hail brothers!!

Soooooooo. It;s been a very long time since I poster here and a long time since I actually did any hobbying. My son Dexter was born in late october and along with his two year old sister I've really had my hands full. However I'm getting a bit more free time and my inspiration is returning! So I am back on the jazz train. Still a lot to be done with the projects outlined at the start of the post but I've pretty much finished the first attack bike and I've built my first cork scenic base for the storm talon.

Just because here is a shot of most of my army

gallery_66259_7786_228290.jpg

I've got another tac squad and some assorted veterans that didn't fit on the table because I'm a tart and wanted them all looking just so.

Here is the base for the talon:

gallery_66259_7343_267926.jpg

gallery_66259_7343_590357.jpg

Also, Ive embarked on a little side project to compliment my Ultras. Basically because I want a libby who can use prescience and because I love mean mutha's and because i love plasma, may i present my flesh tearers:

First off is the librarian.

gallery_66259_8375_726301.jpg

I wanted to make him really running into the thick of it like the nutter he is, a nice spattering of grey knights and blood angels bits here.

Then the honour guard:

gallery_66259_8375_242690.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_531795.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_1219647.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_41995.jpg

not 100 percent sure about this guy, he looks a bit like he's wearing a mini-skirt!

gallery_66259_8375_53212.jpg

Apothecary/sanguinary dude to follow after i get another redactor/narthecium jobby. I liked the wings for the honour guard and like that I got them on without the jump pack which doesn't really fit with my army. But as they're wings I suppose I could use them either way!

So instead of finishing all I set myself I set myself more! AGAIN! However I have set myself a deadline to get my ultramarine 1750 list all fully painted by the time the new codex comes out later this year.......it seems so easy but I don't have the time I want to put into it!

Anyway c and c most welcome and it feels good to be back in the swing!

Here is the test model I've done for my flesh tearers. It's the traditional colour scheme but I may jazz up the honour guard cos I love white on veterans and I think it'll look cool with the red and black. I haven't painted this guys power sword as I'm not too sure how to approach it. Any suggestions most welcome. It is going to be green though (in case you hadn't noticed)

gallery_66259_8375_563102.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_323323.jpg

He's not 100% done but I think I've got a handle on the colours. Highlighting the black is HARD to do well. Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly.

So for the honour guard I was thinking about the traditional scheme with red and black but all of the fancy bits like the moulded shoulder pads could be white, as well as the wings. Do people think this would look good?

Cheers

Febelcrofas

Greetings brothers! I'm back with an update and very excited as I've pretty much finished my storm talon! It's fully highlighted and just awaiting markings and possible weathering. I've never painted an air-borne vehicle though so am unsure how to proceed with any possible weathering.

Also, any suggestions as to where I should place markings?

Also also, I'm wondering if the highlights make the talon look too bright. Would it work if I glazed it? My mate had a necron night-scythe which he painstakingly edge highlighted and it looked cool. HJe was in a GW store and the guy working in there said he should give the whole thing a wash which would blend all the 'lights into the model and look ace. He did it and the model ended up looking streaky and rubbish and took ages to fix.

So does any-one know if it is a valid technique that my mate screwed up or would a glaze work?

Anyhoo.. heres the model as is:

gallery_66259_7786_10001.jpg

gallery_66259_7786_799958.jpg

gallery_66259_7786_1516553.jpg

Thats a great looking talon. I know what you mean about weathering.

It looks straight out of the storm talon equivalent of a car wash which is how the Ultras like it but if you give it a bit of weathering and damage I think it adds character. 

Id be careful with the washes, Ive done a couple of predators where Ive used medium instead of water mixed with GW washes. You dont seem to get the pooling and streaking that you get with water. 

Update here with the markings on the storm talon:

gallery_66259_7786_1337812.jpg

gallery_66259_7786_1235151.jpg

gallery_66259_7786_372739.jpg

Had a moment of madness with the tail fin markings as they're a bit orky but I think they work.

Also I tried out a technique for the power weapon on my flesh tearer:

gallery_66259_8375_1104667.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_964378.jpg

gallery_66259_8375_729233.jpg

I don't think it's bad for a first attempt but I think I know how to do it better next time, for a minute while I was doing it I though I had really screwed it up but it came out ok. Thinkk next for my flesh teares I'll do the libby.

Any suggestions on paint schemes? I wasn't sure if the FT's libbys are blue like the codex chapters or just whatever the hell they feel like!

Very nice work here! That Storm Talon looks superb! How do you get your recessed panel lines so smooth and neat? Do you tape them off? The edge highlighting is very nice, as well - do you use pure white, or a light grey / blue color?

Nice OSL on the plasma pistol... looking forward to seeing more! thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

Very nice work here! That Storm Talon looks superb! How do you get your recessed panel lines so smooth and neat? Do you tape them off? The edge highlighting is very nice, as well - do you use pure white, or a light grey / blue color?

Nice OSL on the plasma pistol... looking forward to seeing more! thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

The panel lines I'm not sure what you mean. If its the grooves between the sections I base coated the model macragge blue then washed if with drakenhoff. I then went over the panels to build up the blue again. The edge highlighting was painstakingly done over a large period if time as it got quite boring! The colours I used are the recommended gw paints for ultras. Highlights are altdorf guard blue then calgar blue.

These are some of the tidiest stuff I've seen... You make the UMs proud! :) Flesh Tearer's pretty awesome too! You sir have some serious talent going... :tu:

Thanks dude, you made a very geeky man very happy :)

Archived