Washing White

captain sox

I've never tried this at all, but the only thing that would have relevance to me is if you want the recesses to be dark or blend in with the white. If you want darker recesses in your models, then I guess a watered down devlan mud (or agrax earthshade as it's called now) would work. If you want it to blend in, then try a grey wash, using fortress grey or codex grey if you still have any lying around.

CPT Sox, could you give us a little info on exactly what you are trying to achieve? Brother Kovash hit it right on the head, but some of the color choices would be dependent on what color pallet you are looking at using, and whether you are trying to blend extreme highlights and shadows, or just darken recesses with intent to paint newer layered highlights over them.

For deathwing terminators? Sepia. For white white...I would actually hand-line shadow gray as appropriate (like into the seams in the armor of a white crisis suit)

For white fur...paint white, wash with the less dark, more redish wash than sepia (orgyn flesh, IIRC?), then, if it's too dirty looking, drybrush white back over the top. That's how I did the furry parts of my WoC hounds, it worked well for a filthy looking white.

if you want a "cold" white try Les burton's recipe for soft body black ink. or failing that, try getting some flo-aid(from liquitex) mix that at a 1/10 ratio with distilled water. then, mix it with nuln oil 1/3 nuln oil to 2/3 flo-aid mix. for a "warm" white I would use the same concept, just substitute sepia.

google les burtons awesome paint job, his wash recipe's are amazing!

CPT Sox, could you give us a little info on exactly what you are trying to achieve? Brother Kovash hit it right on the head, but some of the color choices would be dependent on what color pallet you are looking at using, and whether you are trying to blend extreme highlights and shadows, or just darken recesses with intent to paint newer layered highlights over them.

It's for Deathwing Terminators, with a bit of a twist. I don't like the Green Crests (eagle, sword etc) on the TDA and was looking to make my Termies lighter than bone with darker bone crests, to go with the tac squad crests.

So I was looking for insight into makinf the armour as light as possible.

:D

Captain Sox,

I spray my DW white, ink the recesses with a dark brown, touch up the white, redo the recesses with devlan mud, retouch up the white and then do a 50/50 water/dvlan mud wash on the underside of the model (limbs etc too).

I also have my icons looking like the granite/stone thingie, base of Codex grey then work up.

Examples on page 3 of my blog if you are interested.

I hope that helps a bit and provides another option

s

I would love to see what you've done, Stobz, but there is no link to your blog in your signature and I can't find it on the B&C. Link please?

Last line in sig- Stobz'z DAngles, will get you there, I struggle to post links on my tablet sorry, but look down B)

i'm not a fan of the green crests either - i used to wash with flesh wash for a darker bone crest and not work up al the way to bleached bone vs my armour which went this far.

i may go grey or black if/when i do DW next.

I would love to see what you've done, Stobz, but there is no link to your blog in your signature and I can't find it on the B&C. Link please?

Last line in sig- Stobz'z DAngles, will get you there, I struggle to post links on my tablet sorry, but look down :tu:

I saw the thread, but missed the DW on page 3 (d'oh). They look more bone to me than white, is that a photo issue (white in person, but more bone in photo)?

Last line in sig- Stobz'z DAngles, will get you there, I struggle to post links on my tablet sorry, but look down ;)

Wow Stobz, amazing work my friend! Your Terminators are almost exactly what I'm looking to do! And your Chaplain on Bike is spectacular!

very inspirational.

Archived