Heroic 28s Podcast: Blood Angels Review

Father Mapple

Hello, Brethren! I had the incredible privilege of attending the Heroic 28s 40k podcast to talk about our codex this past week, and the first episode is up here: http://theheroic28s.blogspot.com/ or available on iTunes store (for free), etc..

It is a bit of a "codex review" with tactics spread throughout, so I might not be telling anyone on this forum groundbreaking stuff. I know not everyone will agree with all my tactics, but I think, as much as we laughed, it's a good listen.

The 2nd part will be up next week, and a video battle report of the game I played with Cowboy Kenny's vile bugs will be on the website some time this week as well.

I'd really appreciate feedback on it, and can't say how much fun those guys were to sit around with and just talk 40k for hours. Thanks!

My pleasure. The Heroic 28s are local to my area (Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas) and so I was stoked to get to hang out, play some games, and chat with them. We're blessed here to have TWO podcasts local here, including the "Hitting on 3s" guys who also talk 40k shop for hours on end, despite only having three GW stores within 12 miles of each other, but in the whole area within 100 miles there's about 6.5 million people. Boggles my mind.

My pleasure. The Heroic 28s are local to my area (Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas) and so I was stoked to get to hang out, play some games, and chat with them. We're blessed here to have TWO podcasts local here, including the "Hitting on 3s" guys who also talk 40k shop for hours on end, despite only having three GW stores within 12 miles of each other, but in the whole area within 100 miles there's about 6.5 million people. Boggles my mind.

Why oh WHY do I have to be stuck way out here in Abilene!?!?!! City of 100k, three colleges and a military base.... yet not a single Games Workshop Retailer or Local Gameshop in town. We have one single Card-Gamer shop that lets us play on some tables on Saturday only... and we have a small group of guys who play in each other dining rooms LOL

3 hours drive east if I want to play in Dallas... good for Tournaments, sucks for casual play. AH WELL.....

I listened to this last night. Never heard of this Podcast before and it was good. The advice was sound, though a lot of it was covered elsewhere. I thought that was fine as it was a thorough review. The discussion definitely made me reconsider using Tactical Squads which I haven't used since our PDF Codex in days of yore.

The only issue I found was the advice on how Combat Squads work. Someone said you can declare that a unit will Combat Squad after reserves are rolled and that you can Deep Strike each Combat Squad in different areas. In the FAQ it says Combat Squads need to be announced during deployment and they count as separate units for all purposes unless I'm missing something?

Other than that, I thought it was solid. Looking forward to Part 2.

Uh, you should react as normal as possible. I was only on one session/2 episodes. They're just dudes who like 40k, like the rest of us on here. The difference is they have a VERY nice recording rig. Thanks for the feedback, though!

The other guys aren't on these forums that I know of. I'm the real power-armor only guy besides my fantasy stuff. They all like dirty xenos as their primary armies. I have an Ork army, but I didn't even paint it, and never play it. It's just to have something on hand so if a friend shows up, I have enough to play a game between my table and terrain.

I would just like to say that I just finished this episode. It was probably my favorite episode of the Heroic 28s to date. It had a lot to do with the fact that I play BA and have been a bit daunted by switching my army lists to 6th ed. I had been playing my Deathwing DA almost exclusively since 6th, but your discussion really gave me some good ideas for how to switch up my BA for 6th edition and I wanted to thank you a lot for that! Please pass on my compliments to the other guys, too!

The other guys appreciate your compliments, Ruthven! I do too!

The second episode is now up at the same link. I hope you enjoy it! We cover the other sections of the Codex and do some general tactics. Nothing too amazing or revelatory for the stuff already covered in the Codex Space Marine episodes, but I hope it helps or is entertaining!

• 2 weeks later...

I joined up to give you a huge thanks for mentioning us. I'm Galan from the Ho3s. It's great sharing the figurative back yard with the H28s. One day, when I get a chance to make my way up to Y2k on a saturday, we can sit down and get a game in. I'm a former Blood Angels player, so I always enjoy getting creamed by my former army.

Interestingly, my employer doesn't block this site either, so now I have another 40k outlet! They normally block the 40k sites.

Thanks! I need to start digging around and get a feel for the place.

Posting in this thread made me miss my Blood Angels, so I arranged to buy a bunch of CSM Raptors so that I can relive the glory, minus the DoA.

So I have to say the Heroic 28s do pretty much the best 40k podcast out of all the ones I've tried listening to. Kudos to you guys.

As for the BA one I thought it was an interesting review. I think the possibility of a shooty BA list powered by a Divination Libby was something that should have been covered though - along with the usefulness of Scouts/Sternguard who have effectively poisoned attacks (a huge advantage) and precision shots.

@kcwm Yeah! I like yall's podcast too. Catching up at the moment. I really appreciate the kudos. My schedule is crazy busy now, but I finished a class so I hope to get to play... maybe every other or every third week. But I'd love to meet somewhere. I'm in the Mid Cities area, around 183 and 121, and we play mostly at each other's houses around here. Sarat, myself, and Psycheer have another 5 or 6 guys that all get together for beer and dice somewhat often.

Also, kcwm, this forum is the best for power-amored, bar-none. I have learned more about painting in the past almost 2 years on here than I have in my entire life. It's an awesome resource, and any question I have is answered in a day or with some search-fu. Stick around. It's good times.

@John Rainbow - thanks for the Kudos. The Sternguard and Scouts are covered in more detail in the Codex: Space Marines options since they are a copy and paste into Blood Angels with the exception of Telion and Red Thirst. As much as I love running a Vindicator, we didn't talk about it much at all, but that's because it was already covered a month prior.

The shooty BA thing is probably very viable, especially with Tacticals becoming so much better in 6th. Especially with 2x Libby and more Furiosos making everything shoot really well, but I bet it's overlooked often since it's in that category of something that probably does work very well, but there's others who do it better. Like bikes are amazing in the Blood Angels army since they're so synergistic with jump troops, are so tough, and act like awesome screens as you advance, but there's enough others who do it better that it's not something most people will see.

Archived