Ironclad Dreadnoughts in 6th edition

Captain Idaho

It's my birthday coming up and I was contemplating finally getting my hands on an Ironclad. Thing is I just don't know if it's that effective? Drop Podding into an enemy army will likely just give away a free Victory Point as a First Blood kill. It does put the opponent under pressure, especially with a Gate Librarian and Tactical squad as support (plus Landraider and Rhino borne squads). I still have severe reservations on the usage.

But what about foot slogging Ironclads? It's a contraversial idea I know, but can they work? Any anecdotes?

What uses are people finding for them? What sorts of army lists?

Cheers all. -_-

It's my birthday coming up and I was contemplating finally getting my hands on an Ironclad. Thing is I just don't know if it's that effective? Drop Podding into an enemy army will likely just give away a free Victory Point as a First Blood kill. It does put the opponent under pressure, especially with a Gate Librarian and Tactical squad as support (plus Landraider and Rhino borne squads). I still have severe reservations on the usage.

But what about foot slogging Ironclads? It's a contraversial idea I know, but can they work? Any anecdotes?

What uses are people finding for them? What sorts of army lists?

Cheers all. -_-

Podding them is a wonderful idea, and I do it all the time -- the closer to the enemy, the better. If at all possible, bring it down so that it'll be in cover, and take the assault launchers on it. The reason why? Defensive Grenades provide Stealth against any shooters that are within 8" of the Ironclad (say, for instance, half-range meltaguns). Combined with AV13 on three sides, that gives it survivability that no other walker in the game can boast. It's immunity to krak grenades alone make it an invaluable addition to any army fighting Space Marines.

You make a persuasive argument! I am tempted, I really am.

Do you think it's worth keeping the Melta gun? Charging into assault against vehicles is still terminal even if a Fast Skimmer moves, so the Melta gun isn't so important really. Or is it? Dual heavy flamers should make a mess of even Ork mobz.

It's a hard one for me, because I enjoy Dreadnoughts soooo much and their heavy weapons, so I might miss the heavy weapon of a cheaper Dreadnought.

I used to use them but I cant get dread lists to work in 6th ed any more lol... Only one I run is the Mortis contemptor <_<

Edit: Im actually running 13 dreadnoughts in an apoc game this Wednesday so I cant say I dont run them anymore lol

Do you think it's worth keeping the Melta gun? Charging into assault against vehicles is still terminal even if a Fast Skimmer moves, so the Melta gun isn't so important really. Or is it? Dual heavy flamers should make a mess of even Ork mobz.

It's a hard one for me, because I enjoy Dreadnoughts soooo much and their heavy weapons, so I might miss the heavy weapon of a cheaper Dreadnought.

I keep the meltagun, because tricked out with both HKMs that's three alpha-striking attempts to plug a vehicle. If you want to keep it relatively inexpensive though (ie, without the HKMs) then swap the melta for a second flamer and use it exclusively for, say, wiping out IG hiding behind an Aegis line. I'm all about making my Iron Hands dual role killers, but as a reformed Eldar player, I know full well the value of a specialized unit.

I love Ironclads. While I don't use them as often now with 6th edition, they're still a cool unit. An Ironclad kitted out with dual CC weapons, a Melta and a Lucius Pod can be very deadly. In lower point games (1k-1.5k) I would use mine to drop into an important area, and take out something valuable of the enemy (Leman Russ, Carnifex, etc.), thus reducing the opponent's firepower/destruction power. The opponent can either ignore it, and risk it destroying something else, or fire upon it, and ignore the rest of my army. Now with 6th edition, I prefer using Sternguard to get First Blood, but will be getting the Ironclad on the battlefield soon. It all depends on the person you ask; many people have mixed feeling about the 'Clad.

My two cents. :D

Foot Ironclads are a bit difficult to use sometimes as they're made for close quarters so yomping up the table takes valuable face smashing time away but with HKs and a bit of running you can at least do something. In my experiences the podding Ironclad outperforms the slogging as long as you're sending in some support. Podding Tacticals and Storm Scouts have provided invaluable support for mine.

I like to have the melta because it gives him a bit more versatility and means he has at least some range to his weaponry (one shot HKs aside) though I can see the appeal of dual flamers. Like Deus Ex said the melta helps give the Ironclad extra punch in the first salvo (and future ones, of course!).

Dual heavy flamers will be nice against Orks, but only on the offense. I don't think 2D3 hits are going to dissuade them too much in charging you, the biggest advantage you've got there is the AV13 making it so much harder for them to get you.

I can't speak to using footslogging IC dreads, but in my experience podded ones are great. If you do pod them they absolutely require support since if you have just one near your opponent it will get blown up almost every time. Tactical squads or sternguard have good synergy with the IC and can help screen or soak up some firepower. Combi-melta sternguard and a double heavy flamer IC is a great combo for blowing up high value transports and then roasting the contents.

Personally I tend to drop 2 ICs first turn and hit a flank where there is a suitable target, and where retribution will be hard to obtain for my opponent. They are multi-role in my army so they are equipped with heavy flamer and meltagun. I try to support them by disabling my opponent's mobility with fast moving and long range fire, such as attack bikes and a combi-pred. By doing so the ICs are hopefully out of enemy melta range in my opponent's turn, with AV13 facing the army, and therefore most likely will able to shoot and charge in the following turn.

Well I fancy this combo:

Ironclad in Drop Pod with melta gun and heavy flamer.

+

Tactical squad with melta gun, combi-melta and powerfist Gating across the battlefield with a Terminator Librarian with Force axe and Storm shield.

and of course I have a Rhino carrying another Tactical squad (actually bought for the one above but another Tactical squad can hi-jack it if I fancy it) and a Landraider with Honour Guard and Chapter Master.

So my army is quite aggressive and very capable of hurting opponents and getting the 1st kill of the game. I also have a bit of potential for hanging back and holding objectives with a Heavy Gunner Dread and Lascannon Tacticals.

But I'm debating getting this Ironclad. It's my fourth Dreadnought (well, 5th but the 4th has no arms or base and was a gift from a mate who quit the hobby, so it doesn't count!) and not something I've ever considered really, simply because it is fairly expensive and means I lose heavy weapons (shock, horror!).

What do people think?

Check this link here for my tournament list and why I'm talking about this:

Link

But I'm debating getting this Ironclad. It's my fourth Dreadnought (well, 5th but the 4th has no arms or base and was a gift from a mate who quit the hobby, so it doesn't count!) and not something I've ever considered really, simply because it is fairly expensive and means I lose heavy weapons (shock, horror!).

What do people think?

Check this link here for my tournament list and why I'm talking about this:

Link

Hiya,

I am an out and out dread-head (I have 14 of the buggers :D ) and never field an army without at least two of them. The Ironclad takes some getting used to but I have found the most success with it by simply podding it in and killing the most valuable vehicle it can. This gets the first kill, focuses the enemy fire on the dread instead of the rest of my advancing army, and generally causes my opponent to react to me rather than doing whatever he had originally planned.

The Ironclad itself is quite capable of taking a staggering amount of enemy fire and shrugging it off.

It is fairly expensive but the psychological value alone is more than worth it. You may lose a heavy weapon but a well equipped ironclad can easily cause as much damage as a dev squad over two or three turns.

As a last resort, simply proxy an ironclad for one game and see what you think.

Once you step on the path of the dread-head there is no turning back :P

I've always liked the term "Dread-nut"...

I'm going to make that stick! Mark my words!

Tread-Head in 40K is a hobbyist with a fanatical focus on vehicles, tanks in particular. Dread-nut is a hobbyist obsessed with Dreadnought!

People have convinced me. I'm sticking to the heavy weapons of the my "normal" Dreadnoughts in my 1750pts list since it is so darn useful to have extra heavy weapons, but I play a lot of 1500pts games too where I can get away with slightly less troops so I will drop a squad for a Ironclad in a Drop Pod.

I am also a tread-head so there is no hope for me my enemies! :P

That's one of the great things about Dreadnoughts - they're so flexible that whatever variant you pick it'll have a place :) You certainly can't go far wrong going with a normal Dread if in doubt. Except perhaps the Venerable, I've only heard disheartening reports regarding them in 6th :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived