Concerning Cultists

Smurfalypse

Has anyone considered putting a apostle in a group of cultists? Could be fun...

That is my plan of attack for my EC apostle putting him in the middle of a 30 man mob armed for melee and run them straight at the enemy....with Lucius and his EC melee marines running right behind them

That was exactly the Character I was considering to place in the middle of a Cultist blob. Not only does it 'feel right' on a fluff level, their cost is reasonable for what you get. The Warpsmith looks like fun too, but he'll be trying to hover around the vehicles and Daemon Engine support units, giving added protection and hopefully keeping them up-and-running. The Apostle deserves to be in the middle of a mob, whipping them up in to a frothing frenzy.

It is even in his fluff as his current job is recruiting cultist

Has anyone considered putting a apostle in a group of cultists? Could be fun...

That was exactly the Character I was considering to place in the middle of a Cultist blob. Not only does it 'feel right' on a fluff level, their cost is reasonable for what you get. The Warpsmith looks like fun too, but he'll be trying to hover around the vehicles and Daemon Engine support units, giving added protection and hopefully keeping them up-and-running. The Apostle deserves to be in the middle of a mob, whipping them up in to a frothing frenzy.

That would be very fluffy indeed. If the Dark Apostle allows to reroll boon table results as some rumor suggested, I could place him with a IC like Abaddon to prevent him from becoming spawn or daemon prince, otherwise he will go with a mob of cultists.

In fact I think a mob of cultists is a perfect human shield for most characters. Elite units+ powerful IC are often overkilling and thus a waste of tactical potential. A mob of cultists offer exanpandable protection.. my Abaddon has been wounded and I LoS to a TDA losing at lease 30 pts but with cultists is another story :)

My Abaddon has been wounded, well it costed me 4 pts. A 34 wounds Abaddon is quite resiliant :)

I need to spend more time looking at cultists. With cheaper CSMs, I'm not sure of how best to utilize them besides meat shields.

I know that feeling very well :o

I think it is their ultimate role after all. The can also hold objectives but if the enemy concetrate fire on them they will fall leaving the objective unprotected.

Meat shielding your units, blocking enemy advance, absorbing overwatch fire etc.

Area denial, physically speaking, maybe a role where they excell. Put your mobs where they make impossible to the enemy to enter a given area of the table and they will be forced to waste their resource of such expandable assets while our strongest units prepare to attack with vengeful fury ;)

Mob it up for the best uses.

Again, I think the future of tournament lists lie in spamming these (tarpit) units and focussing all other points on HQ's, Terminators, Obliterators and other great combi-usefull units. If not for the horde approach the same can be archived with mechspam, the cultists themself really gain advantage in mechspam's coversaves.

Cheers,

I need to spend more time looking at cultists. With cheaper CSMs, I'm not sure of how best to utilize them besides meat shields.

I know that feeling very well :(

I think it is their ultimate role after all. The can also hold objectives but if the enemy concetrate fire on them they will fall leaving the objective unprotected.

Meat shielding your units, blocking enemy advance, absorbing overwatch fire etc.

Area denial, physically speaking, maybe a role where they excell. Put your mobs where they make impossible to the enemy to enter a given area of the table and they will be forced to waste their resource of such expandable assets while our strongest units prepare to attack with vengeful fury ;)

The low toughness and low armour (6+) really leave them as a meat shield option but a block of 30 with 27 auto guns and 3 heavy stubbbers can sit on a objective and continually take casualties unless hit with a big enough template....

30 models in melee can be awesome....I used to do that with zealots in my sob army, since they opponent will be over whelmed by the amount of models that survive the over watch fire

Archived