Kitbash Thunderfire Cannon!

Naminé

Hello brothers!

So I really like the thunderfire cannon; it's a great piece of kit, but the models are expensive and they are hard to get hold of second-hand. Since most people use alternative models for their own thunderfires, I decided to attempt to kitbash my own out of all the random parts I have:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/thunderfireprepaint1.jpg

Here is the finished(kinda) result, and I stuck a Techmarine next to it so you can get an idea of the scale. I tried really hard to keep it within the dimensions of an actual thunderfire model, in order to stay on the right side of the rules; that said, it's ever so slightly taller and longer, but at least the width and ground clearance are more or less correct. smile.gif

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/thunderfireprepaint3.jpg

The parts I've used to make it are mainly from a dark angels sprue that came with ravenwing bikers. Despite that, There are a few parts I recognise from landspeeder models, and I added a dreadnought shin peice on top of the lascannon wires. inside their are a couple of bit of sprue to keep structural rigidity, and the 'controls' are simply an IG backpack with the light cut off.
The bottom lascannons I forget what they're from, though I think it might be a razorback turret, and the top lascannons are from a space crusade tarantula.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/quistis333/thunderfireprepaint2.jpg

The base is magnatized so the turret itself can be removed and turn, but since I didn't have any sheet metal I simply coiled up some wire and stuck it along the bottom of the guns. The legs are made from a landspeeder's missile launchers and part of the tarantulas actual legs. i really want to put something to fill in the 'holes' on the legs, but I've no idea what to add.
Finally I know the green stuff looks horrid, but I can fix that later tongue.gif Right now I'm just pleased it's standing!

This is my first time kit-bashing something so hopefully it looks alright. I still have to sort out a techmarine but I might paint the cannon first...

Thanks for looking!

UPDATE

I've started painting the Techmarine to go with the Thunderfire; only done the flats so far, but since this is a WIP thread I thought I'd show you what's going down.

gallery_66589_7951_80523.jpg

I'm using the old Command Squad Techmarine since he has the cool hand device thing, and I added an extra Servo-arm to his backpack.
I didn't have a left arm for the model so I stuck on a different one and gave him a Dark Angel techmarine shoulderpad. His Plasma cutter is made from sprue!

Hope you enjoy... more to come soon.

UPDATE

The Techmarine's shading is now done! Next update will be when he is finished smile.gif

gallery_66589_7951_21385.jpg

I painted the silver metallics and then washed in army painter light black ink, which is a good substitute for Badab black. I also touched up the black areas with a second layer.

UPDATE

Well I'm finally done with the finished models! I have posted full details on my blog, which you can see: HERE

Thanks for looking!

EPIC! I love this, go las-cannons!

Glad you like it! Lascannons are my favourite of all the 40k guns :drool:

That's a really nice kitbash, good use of bits. The tarantula from space crusade gives the model a really distinct flair.

A bit oddball a question, but you don't happen to have a space crusade powerfist you could photograph do you?

I sure do have the powerfist model and I'll try and get you a photo tomorrow. I find myself wondering what you could want it for, but is there anything else you want a picture of from Space Crusade? I still have some conversion beamer models which I know some people don't know what they're supposed to look like, and old plasma guns and heavy bolters :tu:

EPIC! I love this, go las-cannons!

Glad you like it! Lascannons are my favourite of all the 40k guns :P

That's a really nice kitbash, good use of bits. The tarantula from space crusade gives the model a really distinct flair.

A bit oddball a question, but you don't happen to have a space crusade powerfist you could photograph do you?

I sure do have the powerfist model and I'll try and get you a photo tomorrow. I find myself wondering what you could want it for, but is there anything else you want a picture of from Space Crusade? I still have some conversion beamer models which I know some people don't know what they're supposed to look like, and old plasma guns and heavy bolters :P

To be perfectly honest, I have never seen anything from Space Crusade other than armless, monoposed (what I assume to be bolter) bodies, and the dreadnought once. I dont know what all the intricate little details look like, but I've always wondered :P

Well in Space crusade all the marines are a standard pose, with empty hands that you simply slot in a weapon... be it bolter, flamer, or anything else. Part of the game is deciding what to equip your dudes with since they all have strengths and drawbacks.

It's a great game btw especially if you add in some homebrew RPG depth.

I'll get some pics tomorrow of all the old style weapons, since its probably a good resource for lots of people.

I have taken some pictures of the space crusade models, and uploaded them to my blog here

I put them there since I don't want to spam this thread with pictures :)

Is the flat 'face" of the powerfist blank, or does it have ornamentation on it? Nice looking heavy flamer and conversion beamer in that set though.

• 2 months later...
I like it, plus you can use it as a laser destroyer armed Rapier as well. Also like that 2 armed servo harness but is that a single shot bolt pistol? Looks like he's got a sawed-off, break open shotgun.

Hah, sadly not. It's his Plasma Cutter which for these purposes count as a Twin-linked Plasma pistol and flamer :D

But making shotguns out of it would be pretty cool come to think of it... might hold onto that idea!

Thanks for looking!

• 3 months later...

Archived