Squad Numbering: Decals

captain sox

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of adding decals to my tactical marines and I have a dilema. On the regular Space Marine decal sheet, the only 'scripted' numbers (the "DA Font") are 2, 3, 6 and 7. On the vehicle decal sheet, numbers 1-10 are there but are much too large to put on the shoulders for regular marines. But the Roman Numeral decals are perfect size, but the font isn't the standard (popular) DA one. I plan to make 3 Tac Squads and maybe 2 Dev Squads so the regular Space Marine Sheet just won't do for me.

Would it be heresy or create a black hole somewhere if I used reguar Space Marine numbers on my Dark Angels?

what do you think?

I could get the DA decal sheet from Forge World but I have at least 25 decal sheets that are just sitting in a box, not being used.

thanks for input!

There are plenty of old DA transfer sheets available from EBay which include the number 1 in the DA style. They came with every marine box set during second edition.

The ones I've seen are quite reasonably priced also.

Cheers,

WW

Turn the 6 upside down to get a 9 :)

I used some IG number decals as a base with a little freehand embelishment for the ones not on the sheet.

There are plenty of old DA transfer sheets available from EBay which include the number 1 in the DA style. They came with every marine box set during second edition.

The ones I've seen are quite reasonably priced also.

Cheers,

WW

Forgeworld does (did) a set with an entire company worth of numbers plus some (the little ones will fit the DV marine arrows). The Ravenwing sheets from 2nd have 1, 2, & 3. The devistator sheets have 9 & 10, Landspeeder has 4.

No, it wouldnt create a black hole...

According to the Insignium Astartest book, the chapter numbering styles and letterings can change from century to century or campaign to campaign. Admitedly the book uses the Ultramarines as an example, but some of the alternate numbering styles use the Dark Angel "script" numberings. I see no reason why the reverse couldn't be true, where the Dark Angels use the Ultramarine roman numerals for some campaigns.

So there you are. Fluff sanctioned. Go for it!

(Personally, I went with the Forgeworld transfersheet route, plus some old sheets from friends that were into the hobby longer than me)

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of adding decals to my tactical marines and I have a dilema. On the regular Space Marine decal sheet, the only 'scripted' numbers (the "DA Font") are 2, 3, 6 and 7. On the vehicle decal sheet, numbers 1-10 are there but are much too large to put on the shoulders for regular marines. But the Roman Numeral decals are perfect size, but the font isn't the standard (popular) DA one. I plan to make 3 Tac Squads and maybe 2 Dev Squads so the regular Space Marine Sheet just won't do for me.

Would it be heresy or create a black hole somewhere if I used reguar Space Marine numbers on my Dark Angels?

what do you think?

I could get the DA decal sheet from Forge World but I have at least 25 decal sheets that are just sitting in a box, not being used.

thanks for input!

A common problem faced by the unforgiven.... I remember many years ago coming across some decal sheets which I can't remember belonged to what but may have had some additional squad numbers but the memory eludes me...may be I am just making it up.... :lol:

However, I recently had the same issue with my RW project and being the bsessive compulsive stickler for details so there was only one way I could go....

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/FW_Dark_Angels_Transfer_Sheet.jpg

It has 19 sets of SM shoulder pad sized numbers from 1-10 ... that two wntire companies worth... then all the rest of the sizes... really a good buy.. i just got me s handful...

I can't coment as yet on how well they apply though.. :D

DO NOT USE ULTRASMURF ROMAN NUMERALS...The Lion will roll in his sleep!!! :P

SG

SG

Archived