Allied SM question

Orogen

Hey all-

instead of posting a number of lists and trying to iterate there, how about a discussion topic instead!

I'm looking to finish off my 1850 list which runs Mephiston, a Raven, some standard odds and ends. With that, I want to have an attached allied SM force including Lysander - he's such a beatstick, I want him to drop pod in next to the enemies biggest character and take em on. With that in mind, who should accompany him in the drop pod? Currently, I have 10x sternguard with some combi weapons and a power fist - thought being, once they drop pod, they combat squad, one side being melta for tank hunting, the other the fist to add some oomph wherever Lysander goes. Big problem, that squad is 335pts, plus Lysander at 200... that's a pricey meatball.

So, any thoughts/suggestsions? Maybe boring tactical guys? I'm really not sure, but looking at that 335pt pricetag with 3+ saves is unappealing. I'm really thinking sternguard should be smaller and be used more as a later-game, in enemy deployment firebase (via drop pod) and thus stick with BA sternguard and more like 6-7 to keep the cost down.

FYI, here's the list I've been tooling around, most up to date at bottom. I don't like the Raven cargo, but that'll be addressed after figuring how best to run Lysander.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=261514

Cheers!

-Orogen

Have you considered sticking him with DC geared with Bolters? After all doesn't Lysander have a rule called Bolter Drill? That way you get some nice shooting before you charge in with guys that are still good in cc even though they may not have 2cc weapons. For some reason, in my head anyway, they seem like they might compliment each other pretty well.

IIRC, Lysander's SR only affects units chosen from C:SM.

i dont understand how that is possible. is there a rule i am missing. how Lysanders rule is written it says " all models in a squad lysander has joined can re-roll failed to hit rolls". and the FAQ only covers lysanders chapter tactics rule. so i dont see why you could not put him with a squad of DC with bolters and get rerolls. not sure it is the best thing to do but you could. but please correct me if i am wrong.

and i dont think you can take lysander and 10 sterngaurd in a drop pod because lysander takes up two spots. and personally if i were taking sterngaurd i would take pedro just to make them scoring,

if i was taking lysander why not a tactical terminator squad? paint them yellow imperial fist colors and it would look sick

i dont understand how that is possible. is there a rule i am missing. how Lysanders rule is written it says " all models in a squad lysander has joined can re-roll failed to hit rolls". and the FAQ only covers lysanders chapter tactics rule. so i dont see why you could not put him with a squad of DC with bolters and get rerolls. not sure it is the best thing to do but you could. but please correct me if i am wrong.

correct, the AQ doesnt have him, so his rule stands.

and i dont think you can take lysander and 10 sterngaurd in a drop pod because lysander takes up two spots. and personally if i were taking sterngaurd i would take pedro just to make them scoring,

sm drop pod fits 12;)

I'll take a look at Pedro, but the point is Lysander has 2+/3++ with eternal warrior and hits at str 10 so he's a beast in a challenge.

The problem is matching him with a unit - I like the idea of the sternguard with bolter drill especially, but it's awfully expensive.

The terminator squad is an interesting idea. I may have to fit some teleport homers in somewhere. Tough call really between terminators and sternguard.

I know you are set on Lysander, but if you don't want to ally, a 9 strong BA assault squad with 2 infernus pistols on the SGT and corbulo is amazingly resilient (shame you can't fit the tenth ass marine in there). Corbulo can take the hurt. the 3 melta shots ((you can dismebark 6" away to correct for the pod scatter) will mess something up more often than not. Heaps cheaper than what you are thinking.

BA Sternguard with corbulo and a libby in term armour is also expensive but a nice drop in...

and if you put homing beacon on the pod, DoA becomes even more accurate, opening up options of infernus pistols and vanguard vets.

Archived