Iron Hands Scouts

I'm getting ready to build and paint some scouts for my Iron Hands, but I have an issue with them looking too human.

A helmet for the head would be a good start, does anyone know of a good secondary supplier of helmeted heads that would fit this theme? I'd like them to look different from a standard marine head.

I've also played around with the idea of them being some kind of completely autonomous turret (for the snipers) or even mechanised servitors, which could also explain their lowered ballistic and weapon skill. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

For fully enclosed helmets, you would want to look for pig iron. The link:

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/head-s...=2&sort=20a

To dehumanize your scouts, you can try kit bashing the necron warrior spruces, the limbs tend to look pretty good on marines, it would be interesting to see how they would work on scouts.

I would also like to vote for mechanized servitors. Those would look pretty sweet.

good luck!

Some interesting Ideas, those pig iron heads are a decent concept, but they don't look to be very high quality, any experience with them personally?

Ferrum do you happen to have a link that would direct me to the techpriest conversion you mentioned?

Thanks for the input.

If its the fluff aspect your worried about I don't think it would matter. I think the Iron Hands work on the basis that they will repalced any damaged flesh with mechanical parts and due to them being scouts and the chapters newest recruits I wouldn't have thoguht they'd have had that many injuries and so would be mostly flesh still anyways.

If its just for personall reasons coudlnt you use the visored head from the scout box and add some greenstuff augmentatiosn to it. As for helmeted heads how big do the actual marine heads look on the scout bodies out of wonder?

If that'd still leave them too human then your servitor and remote turrets idea sounds cool. Perhaps have a trainee tech priest (Iron Father?) as the sargeant controlling them.

Cheers

James

I haven't had any experience with the helmets myself, but I have seen people on this forum who have used them for their scouts. They looked pretty good and the scale was right. They don't look high quality on the website, but that's due mostly to the poor painting on them. The bits themselves are pretty decent quality.

Good luck!

I've heard only good things about the pig iron helmets. Chapter house studios also has some neat helmets.

If you want to be truly fluffy, scouts do not have many bionics. They'll have their left hand removed for a bionic and that's it. The sergeant of course will be more cybernetic, but the neophytes should be pretty fleshy.

Here are some bionic bits. Hope this helps a fellow son of Manus ;)

I gotta agree with james..

if you read the iron hands novel recently reprinted it's well clear IH scouts are pretty standard young marines..

the only detail worthy of note is the fact they have their left (or right?) hand removed as soon as they are enhanced with the black carapace..

from then on they keep on evolving themselves toward the machine path..

thus meaning the sergeant may be more bionics oriented..

as a side note..techpriests in astartes ranks and used as scouts are pretty nonsense imho...

Who's to say a squad or two wasn't caught in a nasty underground situation with several unfriendly nid's with large amounts of bio-acid?

That or the techpriest in charge of the hand removal operation got a little too carried away in his mission to make them closer to the machine-god...

The issue I have isnt the fluff; the goal I set out when I started the army was to make the army as emotionless as possible, so while the scouts by themselves fit the fluff just fine, their bare heads do not fit my vision for my army (bare heads show emotion). So I am brainstorming solutions to that; a head swap is most simple, and I will likely buy some of the pig iron helmets just to try them. But I would like some back-up ideas in case I do not like them. My other issue is that I find it hard to believe that a Guard veteran can have a BS and WS of 4, but an astartes with superhuman vision, reflexes, and training has those stats as a 3.

@masariel, I understand your perspective, but I dont take the techpriest idea as literally as you. The Iron Hands are basically still a legion, they did not follow the codex astartes when it was enacted, and much is unknown about them. So it's not completely ridiculous to think there is a clan out there who uses them. The extra S and T can be explained by bionics, take a look at the rules for Straken or Cassius or Vaylund Cal for evidence of this. If fact, I think the BS and WS of 3 is more accurately represented by techpriests than it is scouts. That being said, I do appreciate the input, and I dont think thats the route I will go.

@James, I was thinking of exactly that, having a sergeant with a servo arm "controlling" the servtiors, which would help explain why they don't suffer from mindlock on the table.

@ferrum, thanks for the effort!

Edited to clarify my intentions and correct grammar errors

Oh wow, thanks Bannus! Those are extremely well done, much better than I had anticipated. I don't think my greenstuff skills are up to that level yet but if I create a scout squad in the future I may have to make an attempt.

Simply outstanding.

Archived