Ravenwing - Company

Fallen Avenger

Im over halfway to getting enough models for my Deathwing company (really easy with the DV kit via ebay ;p) and just having to get 20 sets of 5 aint no drama for me again thanks to ebay, but what i need help with is what is the build up of the Ravenwing ie how many Bikes, Attack bikes, and LS? to make it a full company? ive nearly also completed my 5th company i remember in the SM codex it said something like 60 marines 20 devs 20 assault 2 dreads and hq am i right?

Great collection there

For the RW I will be working around 100 marines so (in the far future :lol: )

8 x Squads with 6 bikes, 1 Attack bike and 1 LS

2 x Support Squads with 5 LS in each

+ HQ squad (Company Master, Libbi, Chaplain, Champion, Apoc, Standard + couple of extra bikers)

There is no set system (as far as I know ^_^ ) for how you do it but the above would make sense to me.

The 5th is a standard Company like my 4th so you would have:

HQ squad

6 x Tacticals

2 x Assault

2 x Devastators

Dreads (the codex does not say how many)

Rhinos (work on 6 for the Tacticals)

I have gone for 3 extra Razorbacks (HQ and 2 Dev Squads) but the codex ahows them in the Armoury.

Hope this helps

There are no jump packs in the Ravenwing. The command squad is just one of the 6 bike+LS+attack bike squads with an apothecary and company standard added.

If you look at the two Ravenwing squads in Codex: Dark Angels you'll see that at full strength they each contain 10 marines. Any combination of those squads that totals 100 marines could represent the Ravenwing. The exact split between bikes and land speeders has never been specified and I doubt that it's a rigid thing anyway. I expect that any given squad will use either bikes or land speeders depending on the circumstances.

so i need 18 LS 24 bikes? (got more than enough now) 8 attack bikes ? and am i right in assuming all the hq squad can have bikes if not can they have jump packs?

All of the RW must be on bikes - no assault packs.

For my version of the RW company (there are other versions :lol: )

You would need

48 Bikes

8 Attack Biles

18 LS

plus your HQ

a rigid thing anyway.

are you a squaddie by any chance?

Ahahahah! No, not at all. :tu: I've worked with a few people who were though. Why, what did I say?

Im over halfway to getting enough models for my Deathwing company (really easy with the DV kit via ebay ;p) and just having to get 20 sets of 5 aint no drama for me again thanks to ebay, but what i need help with is what is the build up of the Ravenwing ie how many Bikes, Attack bikes, and LS? to make it a full company? ive nearly also completed my 5th company i remember in the SM codex it said something like 60 marines 20 devs 20 assault 2 dreads and hq am i right?

Massive collection there Fallen Avenger! Well done!

As for the RW company, I agree with only one aspect of what has eben said, that it will have 100 marines. Before the 4th edition codex came out with the Attack Squadron and Support Squadron concept, you could make up bike squads, attack bikes squads and land speeder squads along with one bike squad being a command squad. With the 4th edition codex, we got stuck wiht the Attack and Supprot Squadron concepts...

Given that there are no written fluff about the actual composition of the company you just have to let your imagination work there....

I'm working on the RW company too and have taken the following structure

6 Attack Squadrons each with 6 bikes, 1 a/bike and LS Tornado

3 Support Squadrons each with 5 landspeeders (1 LS Tornado, 1 LS Typhoon and the rest with HB/MM etc)

The reasoning is that two attack squadrons being supported by one support squadron....

The final unit is a RW Attack Squadron too but it is the command squadron.... Then come a Chaplain, Librarian and of course Sammael....etc

Another way of skinning the porr cat!! ;)

SG

Cheers Shadow Guard.

can you all help me im about to make a crack on the LS from the Ravenwing set might make master of ravenwing ls but slight drama i dont seem to have any instructions...., can anyone help?

I've taken a similar tack on this. My Ravenwing project consists of :

6 units : 6 bikes, 1 attack bike, 1 landspeeder

-- of which one unit of bikes has an apothecary and a standard bearer

4 units : 5 landspeeders

1 chaplain on a bike (of course..)

and 1 Sammael on his jetbike.

great project - i have/had a similar one going since 3rd edition for deathwing and ravenwing - got about half half way with each.

considering its rumoured to not be far away, i'd wait for the new codex first to fin out what the units/limits will be.

when i started my ravenwing, if i remember rightly, in 3rd edition we could take attack bike squads so could have 6 in squads plus another 9 in heavy. there is nothing to say that in the new codex they wont alter limits/unit choices again.

as a note - you may want to weigh up ebay vs independant stores to buy bikes etc. if you are spending enough there are places that give 20-25% discount off rrp including on battle forces. may well be cheaper than the bay of e if you need speeders/attack bikes too.

cheers for the input Oliver Raffle. i hope to have a true Company of Ravenwing perfect for a Apocalypse game only i know but i like collecting and converting more than any part of the hobby tbh.

Lhg033 - can you recommend any independent stores?

I seem to recall reading somewhere, I forget exactly what the source is, that the Ravenwing squadrons are fluid in vehicle composition, and the main formation of the squadrons is the marines themselves.

Meaning that the Ravenwing's, say, 5th squadron can take the field one day as 6 bikes, 1 attack bike, and 1 land speeder, and the next day in 5 land speeders, and the same holds true for all their squadrons.

It must have made an impression on me somewhere, since I decided not to put any squad numbers on vehicles, but rather only the marine's right shoulderpads.

I seem to recall reading somewhere, I forget exactly what the source is, that the Ravenwing squadrons are fluid in vehicle composition, and the main formation of the squadrons is the marines themselves.

Meaning that the Ravenwing's, say, 5th squadron can take the field one day as 6 bikes, 1 attack bike, and 1 land speeder, and the next day in 5 land speeders, and the same holds true for all their squadrons.

It must have made an impression on me somewhere, since I decided not to put any squad numbers on vehicles, but rather only the marine's right shoulderpads.

I think that may be from the WH40K3 Codex Dark Angels where the FOC consisted of bike squadrons, attack bike squadrons and land speeder squadrons and the general feel was that it wa sa mix and match given tactical relaities. But, also remember in that edition of our codex it was also stated that, as per Codex Astartes the 6th reserve Company (tactical) also trained in deploying on bikes while the 7th Reserve Company (Tactical) trained in deploying on Land speedrs hence we have greenwing bike and speeder squadrons....

So time schange... ;)

SG

If 'the' rumours are correct and we get troops choice RW Sqn, fast attack choice RWA Sqns and RWS Sqns, I'm going to build 3/3/4 respectively.

If we get jetbikes in HQ and/or Elites slot I may revise that. New dex to rule them all, hell it might provide clarity too.

s

Archived