Vet/command squad

Fallen Avenger

im not sure what to build its really bothering me , on the one hand i want a class looking DA champion so that route will be Cmmnd Squad, but at the same time i want some various equipped vets ie claws swords mauls mixed with pg and mg etc whats the advantages and disadvantegs to cmmnd and vet squad?

Disadvantages of command squad is that they are only 5 of them and if you tooled them up much, it's quite a lot of points... vets can be more flexible and have bigger squads, but don't get an apothecary.. they can also become expensive with upgrades.

My opinion is that you should wait for the new codex before committing to a decision.

Dam this CODEX!!! release it now GW its holding me up massively lol im gonna commit to making my champion as i cant resist quick question on that btw, if i give him a power sword, combat shield is he allowed a plasma pistol? too? or just a bog standard bolt pistiol? and can he have a iron halo? id answer this myself but ive currently misplaced my 'Current' Codex.

I think you should muck around with the bits and make a bunch of veterans that look cool. Then worry about if they're a command squad or veteran squad, and who to use in what combination.

just had a quick kit bash on my first Vet/Cmmnd member and came up with something rather cool sadly no camera and the cam on this laptop is a joke but i gave him the power sword and combat shield clipped the shield rear so i could fit a plasma pistol gave him full robes and a beaky helmet with the DA logo on beak a da backpack one with arch on back 2 da shoulder pads (the one with the extra surround and another with a sword on a wreath) and of course an iron halo, i know i cant use evrything on this model but he just looks badass!

You're right Fallen Avenger, he can't. But if you like the look of the model so be it. Just be careful to explain to any opponent what he is officially armed with. And pray the new codex works in your favour :P.

be gleaming if it does, just had a flick through my dex and he is a viable company master (just the shield wont count as anything just for show then) but says he can have a jump pack might have a look into it as i have some FW jump packs coming

decided id start another vet kit bash but ill fllw the current codex as i wanna be able to use these bad boys, this next one is getting rh meltagun aiming one handed looks cool (took for ages to get a arm and hand for it why dont these come with hands?) the lh has a Lightning claw (sm commander kit shame the armpit makes it only fit in one position i wanted it so he could point, might even make a whole arm out of GS so i can give him the wolverine f off pose with one claw sticking out while the rest be cut back so as to look like there admantium claws grafted to him)

An interesting take on the veteran squad was for a gunslingers squad with most of the veterans with plasma pistols and bolt pistols. I don't know if this will be legal with our new codex but it is a cool idea. Link

As for meltas with hands you can find them here.

And lastly as I seem to say every week, magnets are your friend. If you magnetize the arms on then you can change them to fit whatever the future holds.

An interesting take on the veteran squad was for a gunslingers squad with most of the veterans with plasma pistols and bolt pistols. I don't know if this will be legal with our new codex but it is a cool idea. Link

As for meltas with hands you can find them here.

And lastly as I seem to say every week, magnets are your friend. If you magnetize the arms on then you can change them to fit whatever the future holds.

Gunslingers he says, hmm i mumble, is it legal at the minute though?

thanks for the link ill keep an eye on GW's bits next time (yep that sounds so wrong ha ha) id manage to slice my thumb open while kit bashing last night so i called it a night (well it was 6 am ha ha) i might invest in a decent camera end of the month might aswell seeing as ill be skiing and flying to Canada for 4 months work/exercise but the true purpose is so i can get some prime pics up of my kit bashing 'attempts' ;p

oh before i go got a quick question on Vet sqd it states in the codex - Any model may replace their bolter or chainsword with one weapon chosen from the following list: (and then goes on to list various fire arms and ccw) does this mean i can replace the bolter and chainsword options or just 1 or the other?

thanks for all those that are helping and all those that can help.

Each veteran comes with a bolt pistol and either a bolter or a chainsword, so they only have one weapon to exchange. Plasma pistol and bolt pistol is legal now - you just replace the boltgun (or chainsword) with a plasma pistol.

ill keep what ive got and just list the plasma pistols as normal pistol/boltgun unless new codx is more rewarding, if not i can just use them as Sergeants for squads, anyway i like my Vets to look unique so much so that ill kit bash with any other races aslong as it dosent look too out the realms of DA anyone think of anything i can use for pwer weapons? ive currently got a maul,sword, fist,claw im thinking of stuff like spears tridents etx any ideas? and places where i can get them?

As I read it, it should be possible to make a Company Champion with a plasma pistol. Take a veteran, replace one of his weapons with the plasma pistol. Then uprade him to Company Champion, which automatically gives him a power sword and combat shield. That's what I did, and I did the same conversion you mentioned by clipping off the boltpistol from the back of a combat shield and replacing it with a plasma pistol.

I've yet to play in any tournaments, but no one even batted an eyelash whenever I used him in a game, so I didn't even think there was an issue.

ai he is my company champion for when i use him in my command Squad if he is used in the vet squad i just have to say its used as a bolt pistol, but i could also use him as sergeant for a tac squad so its not too bad just a shame i cant have him as a standard vet as he looks sick! ah well heres hoping for the new dex to be helpful.

Archived