Which Paints Should I Use?

So I'm finally gearing up to start building my Angels Sorrowful (working name), and I'm a bit unsure what paints to use so I am looking for yet more advice from those more experienced than I.

I've been playing Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 since about 2000, although I took a lengthy hiatus between 2005 and 2010. I've mostly used Citadel paints since the very beginning. The only non-GW paints I use are some Tamiya flat military colours. I've worked my way up from a very basic style with no highlighting of any kind, to a tabletop quality that I am pretty happy with. Here is an example of some of my latest work, just so you know they level of painting detail etc. that I aim for now:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-toceIRDNI50/UEGB73q6XhI/AAAAAAAAAts/cVPkO_7kF2w/s1600/DSC05984.JPG

I have to say that I much prefer working with Citadel paints than the Tamiya, but of course could not get certain colours like Field Grey with Citadel.

My plan for my Blood Angels was to do pure Citadel Paints again, since I didn't need to worry about some specific historical colour for the look I want. Then GW went an completely changed their paint range and the old paints are long gone from the local gaming shops (I guess veteran gamers did a run on the stock when the new stuff came out?).

I MIGHT be able to scrape by with my old paints, since I have a pot of Liche Purple, but I have no other shades of purple and I've never been too happy with the results from trying to mix Liche Purple with black and white. Also, my Blood Red and all my blues (for Devastator helmets) are bone dry.

SO ... having never tried the new paints, how different are they from the old? Would it be possible to mix-and-match without having a totally different painting style evident? It seems like the new paints are geared towards a technique than I've been using involving washes and glazes (what exactly are glazes, anyway?). Now, I'm all for trying new techniques and taking my painting to a new level -- especially with an army that will be much smaller than my Imperial Guard (easier to do higher quality job when you're painting 1/3 the number of models). But can they work together if I buy the necessary washes and use the conversion chart otherwise? Or should I buy a whole new set of paints for all the colours I need (shudder).

OR, is there another line of paints that you recommend? Keep in mind, I am NOT a fan of mixing. I do it, because I have to, but when I can get away with it, I much perfer it, which is part of why I've always used Citadel paints in the first place. Interested to hear what you guys think. Thanks a million for ALL of your helpful comments on the other threads I've posted and, I'm sure, on this one as well.

I'm neither an awesome painter nor a guy with much experience with GW's new paint line, but I've had nothing but positive results with other brands of paint that I've tried. To be frank, I haven't noticed a big difference between them aside from some brands requiring you to squirt your paint onto a palette instead of being able to use the paint well straight out of the pot. I usually look for the color that most closely matches what I think I want, then compare prices from there. ;)

Nice paint job on those Guardsmen, by the way.

I just use cheap acrylic paint from my local big box store. I did however find some really nice paint at the local art supply shop that is the slightly more money for the same amount and much better paint. As i run out im goign to switch. the cheap stuff was $1.79 for 2 oz the more expensive stuff im switching to is $4 per 2 oz. If you want to see how the cheap paint looks check out my paint link at the bottom of my post

The only thing I really dislike about the new GW paints are the the layer paints and textures. The wash is probably the best I've ever tried but other than that I'm sure you do just as well with another brand.

Dropper bottles would be welcome as GW pots have a nasty habit of drying up ever since they started using the screw tops in late 90s.

Great thread since well, in all honesty, I never knew what to buy.

Now 8 years later, because of the constant changes in quality and paints I tend to use whatever when.

This is the most expensive part of the hobby perhaps but using a lot of different painst will let you learn the best.

I use:

- GW citadel paints

- Vajello paints

- Vejello Airbrush paints

I wish I could get my hands on some IK red, since I heard it is epic. Unfortunatly I cannot get it here in my local store so will make due with Vajello's.

I find the new range of GW paints to be really good quality.

The base paints generally cover black undercoat well (with a couple of light coats) to give a nice solid base to work from.

The washes are just awesome and make shading recesses simple.

The layers have a decent range of colors that make it easy for even a beginner to get really good results.

I don't have a lot of experience with the glazes but I have seen what they can do for armour (metal) and it looks pretty good.

The dry compounds just make dry brushing easier.

I really like the texture paints for doing bases, if you just want a simple base they are awesome.

All in all I think they have really stepped up their game with the new paints, so much so that I have pretty much stopped using the old GW paints and have replaced them with the new ones

Thanks for the reply, Septicon.

Why have you stopped using the old paints? Can the old paints not be used with the new ones? For example, I want to paint my Sanguinary Guard the standard gold. I currently have Shining Gold and Burnished Gold which, according to the conversion chart are equivalent to Gehenna's Gold and Auric Armour Gold. I was going to just buy the base coat (Balthazar Gold) and the wash Agrax Earthshade to paint them according to the Citadel Painting Guide ... but is there some difference in texture or such that would prompt you to say I should go "all out" and buy Gehenna's Gold and Auric Armour Gold also?

And could you explain what the purpose and use of glazes is? I am unfamiliar with the concept and don't even know what they are, really. Thanks.

Why have you stopped using the old paints? Can the old paints not be used with the new ones? For example, I want to paint my Sanguinary Guard the standard gold. I currently have Shining Gold and Burnished Gold which, according to the conversion chart are equivalent to Gehenna's Gold and Auric Armour Gold. I was going to just buy the base coat (Balthazar Gold) and the wash Agrax Earthshade to paint them according to the Citadel Painting Guide ... but is there some difference in texture or such that would prompt you to say I should go "all out" and buy Gehenna's Gold and Auric Armour Gold also?

The base coat gold is almost a must, shining gold doesn't nearly cover good enough for that. I would actually recommend Seraphim Sepia for the shading, but I then painted my SG with shining gold and that worked well, even though it required 2-3 layers. My burnished gold as taken on a really weird consistency, so I can't use that anymore for painting, but I remember it to be a very annoying colour. Maybe the new golds have a better coverage, but I haven't yet met someone who tried them. I would recommend the new Golden Griffon for highlights, works better than straight mithril silver in my opinion.

Then GW went an completely changed their paint range and the old paints are long gone from the local gaming shops (I guess veteran gamers did a run on the stock when the new stuff came out?).

Yeah I did go and buy up my local supply of Baal red (as well as others) only to find out that the pots I'd picked up contained the newer formula and didn't match very well at all! I've not finished the models yet to see how bad the match will be with the rest of my army as it put me off, but I'll get around to it eventually!

Assuming you're starting out fresh, here's a rough list of the GW colours you'll need:

For base coating: a can of acrylic matt white or grey spray paint, not black! You wouldn't paint your front room black before you started adding more colour so don't do it with models :P Any hardware shop should sell this.

Purple list:

Xereus purple to base

Druchii violet to wash

Genestealer purple 1st highlight

Slaanesh grey final highlight

Pro tip washing purple with an orange such as Fuegan Orange will make the purple more vibrant and help blend the highlights. Apply after above steps. :)

Grey list:

Admistratum Grey to base

Ulthuan Grey to highlight

Nuln oil to wash

So in total that's 5 paints and 2/3 washes. I'd personally go this route rather than trying to revive old paints as this will ensure consistency over your army. Feel completely free to swap the above colours for ones you prefer, or from other manufacturers, add/ remove steps, or ignore altogether. ^_^

@Bartali: the darker reds are good, but the lighter shades can be a little thin.

Apologies for semi-hijacking the topic.

For those of you who have moved on from GW Blood Red to Vallejo (VGC Bloody Red, VMC Vermillion etc) what are your experiences ?

I really like the VGC Bloody red. In fact i do prefere Valleho over GW since the concentration of pigment is much higher in Vallho range. And you can combine it with Vallejo paint thinner for super nice results.

I think the black undercoat has been good for me since I haven't used washes.

Since I want to try to take my painting to a higher level with my BA, I think I am going to start using washes, in which case I don't think I need the black undercoat and a grey or white base will make the colours a bit more vibrant. White base-coat might be too bright -- I still want my minis sort of "grimdark" :)

So I do think I'll give grey a try. Is there a particular brand/colour you recommend for the primer?

I use a cheap one from Claus Olsen, but it really depends where you live. You could undercoat black then doing a dusting over the models, at a 45 degree angle, with a grey or white to give a zenith lighting effect before you even start. Also if you've going to start using washes remember some can give a slight gloss finish. You can prevent this by adding a touch of a matt medium, such as GW's Lahmian medium, to the wash.

Yeah I did go and buy up my local supply of Baal red (as well as others) only to find out that the pots I'd picked up contained the newer formula and didn't match very well at all! I've not finished the models yet to see how bad the match will be with the rest of my army as it put me off, but I'll get around to it eventually!

The previous GW washes age badly, they somehow settle and get oily and thick after a while. It could be what happened to your pots. If they still had the same name the formula should be identical.

Great thread since well, in all honesty, I never knew what to buy.

Now 8 years later, because of the constant changes in quality and paints I tend to use whatever when.

This is the most expensive part of the hobby perhaps but using a lot of different painst will let you learn the best.

I use:

- GW citadel paints

- Vajello paints

- Vejello Airbrush paints

I wish I could get my hands on some IK red, since I heard it is epic. Unfortunatly I cannot get it here in my local store so will make due with Vajello's.

Whats IK red?

Archived