Land Raider Redeemer

L30n1d4s

Many people seem to think Land Raiders are out of fashion since the advent of hull points/being able to be glanced to death. This is probably true, to some degree, and we are seeing many more footslogging armies out there.

That being the case, and especially since a lot of those footslogging armies are MEQs (likely to be even more so with the new CSM book, which allows the potential for over 100 MEQ bodies in a 1500 list), I think innovative players might start to find ways to use the Land Raider Redeemer and its Flamestorm cannons more. Combined with PotMS, you can almost always fire at least one Flamestorm cannon. Some innovative ways to get them into the fight that I can think of are:

1 - Blood Angels - DS a LRR near a Homing Beacon (i.e. Scout Squad, Drop Pod, etc.) and hit the enemy troops with those AP3 templates

2 - Grey Knights - Use Summoning and Warp Stabilization Fields to get a LRR into enemy lines

3 - Space Marines - Get a unit of Hammernators with a LRR as Dedicated Transport and use Khan as your HQ (gives army Outflank in place of Combat Tactics). LRR comes in from one of the flanks and burninates and unsuspecting enemy.

4 - Space Wolves - Load up a LRR with an Iron Priest, max servitors, and Saga of the Iron Wolf.... enables LRR to move D3" further each turn and makes it basically automatic to repair damage or repair a lost HP.

Those are my thoughts... anyone out there use or think of using LRRs to deal with massed enemy troops (especially MEQ)?

The Problem with the aforementioned SW idea is that your basicly paying 100pts to give it that upgrade, and mostly 'wasting' the transport capacity in return. Sure, he could do some damage in CC- but then your sacrificing the upgrades for the landraider wich was the point of taking him.

My problem with the redeemer has nothing to do with hull points- its the fact that Im paying 250ish points for a model that has to be within 9" of the enemy to properly do its job, in an army where I need to capitalize on my tactical flexability almost every game.

The Baal Predator seems a much better launching point for the use of Flamestorm Cannons, and I admit to being slightly jealous of the A on that count.

Still, Im interested in hearing what others think- Ive heard some people have great luck with the Redeemer.

Personally, I think this idea is a little bit of a one trick pony.

The first time you drop it on an unsuspecting opponent, they will be surprised and you will burn a few of their guys.

The next time you play that opponent; they will stay well away from the land raider, or deep strike behind it and melta it.

I have noticed that my formerly melta-crazy metagame has shifted to more plasma recently in 6th. If your metagame has done the same it gives land raiders a chance, but only until players remember to keep stock of their melta.

Remember if you are burning them, they can meltagun you.

I love my LRR, especially since it's filled with hammernators. It tends to survive almost every game, with the odd time getting meltagunned to death.

Flamestorm cannons are great even though they will usually only get one chance to be fired per game, but if you play it right that one time will see lots of MEQ being roasted. I often end up getting 6-7 marines with the flamestorms per game, the rest of which are easily cleaned up with the other elements of my army. I once roasted 15 traitor marines who failed a charge in front of one of the cannons. That's not average, but it is an example where the LRR has won me games.

I play very aggressively though. If you're not really aggressive with the Redeemer then you will probably find that another variant will be better for you.

I wouldn't count on it to always take out massed MEQ, such as an average of 30-40 bodies per game. That's unreasonable to expect from just 1 unit. If someone did run a MEQ horde the Redeemer can definitely do some very serious damage on its own. However, the payload it carries should be the focus and the more dangerous of the two.

Archived