Decisions decisions...

I'm trying to decide between 1k sons and deathguard for my new chaos army. I'm looking for input and advice from both boards. I tend to play eldar more often then not, always with eldraad and the avatar. Thoughts/advice most welcome!

As a thousand sons player I suggest playing Deathguard.

Why is that?

Because they are better....

1) Better in melee, they come with Bolt Pistol/CC and Defensive Grenades and have plague knives so they can even damage Wraith Lords type Monsterous Creatures

2) Better in killing anything with an AV, they can get Melta guns and/or Plasma guns making them able to destroy vehicles. More versatility...

3) Harder to kill, toughness 5 vs toughness 4 and they get a Feel no Pain roll after there armor roll, crazy!?!?! They are better in every scenario defensively assuming moderately cover save board.

4) Typhus is better then Ahriman, Typhus has access to better powers, and gets to use a S6, I1, AP 2 weapon with 3+1D6 attacks. Ahriman gets to use a S6, I5, AP4 weapon or some fairly short range psyker powers that will most likely have time die from perils by turn 3.

... Thousand Sons are only good at killing Power Armored Space Marines without someone with artificer armor in the front. This benefit would be reduced if the enemy is in cover.

I have a lot of fun with my Thousand sons, plays very different than my Blood Angels. OF course, Deathguard would as well.

Thousand Sons may be weaker overall. They are really good at killing marines, but they can struggle with other things. But the look of horror on your opponents face when you need to randomly determine 10+ psychic powers a game is fun.

Whilst Thousand sons are not as strong as others, they are fun. What is the best thing about playing Thousand sons? Is it when Dark angels open up with plasma on you? You still get a save. Or is it when your in combat with terminators? Still get a save. Or you catch enemy power armour in the open? Gun 'em down, and if they are in cover, there save is still worse.

But it's not the save, or the AP3 that is the best thing about playing thousand sons, it's not the fact our aspiring just need to cause a singe wound to kill most enemy characters, it's not our Sorcerers can laugh at anyone trying to cast Psychic powers on their squad.

You want to know what's the best thing about playing thousand sons? It's when your psychic powers cut down enemy squads, it's when your sorcerers make tactical squads pin down in cover in fear of the giant white rabbits only they can see, or when the enemy finds they are not so tough after all, or their own squads shoot at each over, and your opponent is taken by complete surprise as "Thousand sons are rubbish, everyone says so" even as there forces are destroyed and scattered.

ALL IS DUST! FOR VENGEANCE! FOR THE ENLIGHTENMENT OF MANKIND! FOR PROSPERO!!!

Death to those that betrayed us, Emperor and primarch alike.

Why is that?

Because they are better....

Depends if you are talking a pure marine army, or the more likely ones I'm starting to see of the Marines + Daemon allies. Thousand Sons with Tzeentch Daemons are freaking brutal.

A guy in our club is using them paired with some Screamers (who just might be the scariest melee unit around?), Flamers (Oh joy, my unit has been melted to ash yet again), and a cheap horror unit with the lesser HQ IIRC. Mixed in with the options from C:CSM, it has incredible movement, wastes 3+ saves, and has enough templates that I bet it will ruin hordes days as well.

Heldrakes. *shakes fist* HELDRAKES!

It looks really fun to run. I've had a Night Lords army since 2E, and I'm really tempted to try to adapt it to my army to give it a whirl.

Edit: I just noticed the amount of BA players with Chaos secondaries. Neat. Blood for the Angel of Blood!

How do you guys deal with the runes of warding when playing against the eldar? i've been trying to decide myself if i should do Thousand Sons or Iron Warriors and the friend i play the most has an eldar army which he always takes eldrad in so i almost never get any psychic powers off in my other armies, i've stopped taking psykers so much now, and not at all when i use Orks

Whilst Thousand sons are not as strong as others, they are fun. What is the best thing about playing Thousand sons? Is it when Dark angels open up with plasma on you? You still get a save. Or is it when your in combat with terminators? Still get a save. Or you catch enemy power armour in the open? Gun 'em down, and if they are in cover, there save is still worse.

But it's not the save, or the AP3 that is the best thing about playing thousand sons, it's not the fact our aspiring just need to cause a singe wound to kill most enemy characters, it's not our Sorcerers can laugh at anyone trying to cast Psychic powers on their squad.

You want to know what's the best thing about playing thousand sons? It's when your psychic powers cut down enemy squads, it's when your sorcerers make tactical squads pin down in cover in fear of the giant white rabbits only they can see, or when the enemy finds they are not so tough after all, or their own squads shoot at each over, and your opponent is taken by complete surprise as "Thousand sons are rubbish, everyone says so" even as there forces are destroyed and scattered.

Well said.

After last night, I can honestly say the best part of playing thousand sons is when you tell your opponent, "Ok, I need to generate 10 psychic powers now".

Im concerned about being able to hold my own in melee

Yeah, we ain't like khorne marked marines but we have an invulnerable save that can potentially keep us around. Thing with rubric marines is to pick and choose your targets. Shoot at power armour and if you have to close combat then fight power weapons. But honestly now that we can take allies and cultists then it would be best to keep them out of close combat altogether. Swamp with bigger units and sweep up with the rubrics.

I'm trying to decide between 1k sons and deathguard for my new chaos army. I'm looking for input and advice from both boards. I tend to play eldar more often then not, always with eldraad and the avatar. Thoughts/advice most welcome!

Well, deathguard are far more powerful, and don't have to pay for a hilariously overpriced mini-Sorceror, but the Sunz have awesome fluff, Ahriman and Infiltrating Maulerfeinds, and pimpin' hats. Or you could have the best of both worlds, and have an alliance of both

Ahriman and Infiltrating Maulerfeinds

I think you read something wrong.

What? Set me straight, please.

As Astorath said, Infantry only. So he could infiltrate Mutilators - who count as Infantry - but he couldn't infiltrate Maulerfiends - who count as Walkers.

Ahriman and Infiltrating Maulerfeinds

I think you read something wrong.

What? Set me straight, please.

As Astorath said, Infantry only. So he could infiltrate Mutilators - who count as Infantry - but he couldn't infiltrate Maulerfiends - who count as Walkers.

Even if he could you can't charge with infiltrating units in the first turn.

After last night, I can honestly say the best part of playing thousand sons is when you tell your opponent, "Ok, I need to generate 10 psychic powers now".

Just wondering, what's your setup to get 10 powers (I can think of a few myself, but then I think of affording an army around it and kinda blanch)? I'm guessing it has to be a 2K or more game?

Just wondering, what's your setup to get 10 powers (I can think of a few myself, but then I think of affording an army around it and kinda blanch)? I'm guessing it has to be a 2K or more game?

yeah, 2k. Ahriman, sorcerer (mastery level 3) and 3 Aspiring sorcerers.

Archived