It's a Warlord

chaptermasters

So my mate and I are taking our combined 2nd and 4th companies up against a 6k chaos force and 6k guard force. We will be facing a warlord and are stumped on how we are going to win. Any suggestions. Most of our ideas revolve around getting instide void sheild range with melta weapons or chain fists ect.

I've got the following to pick my 6k from (the 4th will be in the list regardless)

Calgar

Tigurus

Libraian Terminator SB

Libraian

1st Captain Terminator PF SB

1st Chaplian Terminator SB

1st Command Squad

1st Terminator Squad 1 AC

1st Terminator Squad 2 AC

1st Terminator Squad 3 HF

1st Terminator Squad 4 HF

1st Terminator Squad 5 CM

1st Terminator Squad 6

1st Terminator Assault Squad 7 LCs

1st Vangaurd squad 8

1st Sterngaurd squad 9 PF Combi metal

1st Sterngaurd squad 10 PA Heavy bolter

1st Sterngaurd squad 11 Metla

2nd Captain PP PS

3rd Captain Jump Pack PS

3rd Chaplain

3rd Command squad PF

3rd Tactical Squad 1 PF Fl Mis

3rd Tactical Squad 2 Fl Mis

3rd Tactical Squad 3 Fl Mis

3rd Assault squad 7 PF PP

3rd Landspeader 8 Flamer Meta

3rd Devisator squad 10 Missle Las

3rd Dreadnought Las flamer

4th Captain TH

4th Librarian

4th Chaplain (jump pack)

4th Tactical squad 1 PP PG Mis

4th Tactical squad 2 MG Mis

4th Tactical squad 3 Fm Mis

4th Tactical squad 4 Fm Mis

4th Tactical squad 5 MG Mis

4th Tactical squad 6 PG HB

4 Assault squad 7

4th bike squad 8 MM MG PG PS

4th Land speader MM

4th Devistator sqaud 9 Bolter, Plasma

4th Devistator sqaud 9 Las Melta

4rd Dreadnought meta bolter

5th Captain Ps BG

6th Captain TH

7th Captain PF PS

8th Captain PS BG

Reserves

2nd Tactical Squad 1 PF Fl Mis

2nd Tactical Squad 2 PG

2nd Tactical Squad 3 MG

2nd Bike Squad 7

8th Attack bike 1 MM

9th Captain PF SB

10th scout squad 1 Sniper

10th scout squad 2 Bolter

10th scout squad 3 Pistols

10th scout squad 4 Pistols

Laind Raider 1

Land Raider crusader 2

Peditor Auto Las

Peditor Twin Las Bolter

Rhino 1

Rhino 2

Rhino 3

Razorback las

Storm Eagle MM Las

1st Venerable dreadnought Las bolter

2nd Venerable dreadnought Las Missle

Uh . . . vortex grenade? Give it to something that can deepstrike (like termies) and then chuck it. It is silly, but killing titans is pretty hard without titans of your own.

A warlord titan is not something that you can just ignore. I would do the first thing and use a vortex gernade but taking down something like that with D weapons is a task. If the gernade does not do the trick I would recommend using machine curse and pinging it to death. I saw a Honour Guard squad w/ Calgar and having 9 Librarian kill squad joined with them. Use machine curse and every 3 HP will be a structure point. So you could technically glance it to death.

Titanhammer squads, duh! That's the whole point of them. Free vortex and titan-bashing power.

Admittedly, I first read the title and first sentence and thought, "Of course you're fighting a Warlord, everyone does, that's part of the game now" but it wasn't until I read further that you meant Warlord Titan. ;)

Chainfists and Meltaguns won't work---- if they have half a brain between them, there will be a horde of Guardsmen around its feet physically preventing getting anywhere near the Titan. At 6k you won't believe how many IG bodies there's gonna be.

Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't grab them by the belt and hold on as best you can--- because a melee fight is gonna be your only chance. You won't outshoot it, so if you stay off at range then the game will just consist of you guys pulling models. Gotta gotta gotta get as close as possible and melee those IG, and hopefully clear away that screen of bodies.

Use Bikes and Vanguards to fix IG in melee ASAP to reduce shooting at your Terminators on your approach. Since there are 6 objectives, when placing them do your best to hide as many as possible from Line of Sight so that you can hold them without being shot (make sure you place as much Line of Sight blocking terrain as possible!!!). Keep several Tactical Squads in drop-pods in Reserves as long as possible so they can drop in and secure those objectives while mitigating turns being shot at.

I assume its an apoc game so look into some of the bonuses you can take.

Beyond that, you're going to need to field dedicated anti tank units and a lot of them. Speeders or attack bikes come to mind. Possibly some drop pod dreads with melta.

I fielded a Reaver titan a while back in an Apoc game, and used the min/max fit for it (all STR D weapons, all 5" pie plates, and 8 or so of them a turn). It was a slaughter. I was facing orks, and even with all the bodies and shots he had (shokk attack battery, green tide formation, many many many kanz and dreads) he didnt even scratch me. I think he took down 2 voids in the entire game, and that titan killed about a third of his army.

Str D is insane, as are voids. So, that said, you need something that you can kick out a TON of shots that can glance AV12. Knocking out the voids will help a lot, and they are much easier to take down than the actual structure points. If you can glance down the shields you can then focus fire on it to start doing real damage.

If the other guys above are right (and I think they will be) you are never going to get anywhere near that thing without some serious work to pull the guard bubblewrap off its feet. A titanhammer squad or 9 would be a great option though, as the vortex grenade is just as good at getting rid of infantry as it is at titans, though if they play smart you may not have the space to deep strike them without mishap.

If you can focus all your shooting at it you may get enough damage on it to force him to react defensively, either by moving it and its bubblewrap (thereby clearing space around its feet) or by doing enough damage to neuter it a bit. Lascannons should be saved for when the shields go down, and melta as well. Use AC's, AssCans, Missile Launchers, ANYTHING on a Tac Squad or dread that is not a lascannon to get those shields. Once they are down, hit it with everything you have and you might get lucky. After all, a catastrophic explosion in the middle of that guard blob is going to do half the work for you of killing the rest of his guys. If you can get that titan down you have pretty much won.

Ok I'm trying to get a Warhound with Turbo lasers built and painted in 10 days! just have legs and guns to go now. How far can a Storm Eagle go in the turn it arrives and still drop terminators to assault stuff. I'm so confused reading through the rules.

A few squads of Vangard Vets with jump packs, T-Hammers and S-Shield can go Str 8 against the Titan's rear armor, per the Apoc rules. However, all you really need in the end is a bunch of units with melta within 12" yet outside of Assault, and just peel it like an onion.

SJ

A few squads of Vangard Vets with jump packs, T-Hammers and S-Shield can go Str 8 against the Titan's rear armor, per the Apoc rules.

Not sure what rule you think you're referring to here, but a Titan is a Super-heavy Walker and until Immobilized you're striking the Front AV in CC.

However, all you really need in the end is a bunch of units with melta within 12" yet outside of Assault, and just peel it like an onion.

Yeah, I believe the running question has been - how do you get enough Melta within 12" of said Titan in order to "peel it like an onion"?

Dont CC it... just clear everything from its base with long range firepower, take the hits, and then drop pod in on turn 2 with meltagun toting sterngaurd and unleash. If at all possible take a Divination Libbie to let them reroll their misses and you should be able to handily eat through most of its structure points in one go and kill most of its weapons besides.

A few squads of Vangard Vets with jump packs, T-Hammers and S-Shield can go Str 8 against the Titan's rear armor, per the Apoc rules.

Not sure what rule you think you're referring to here, but a Titan is a Super-heavy Walker and until Immobilized you're striking the Front AV in CC.

However, all you really need in the end is a bunch of units with melta within 12" yet outside of Assault, and just peel it like an onion.

Yeah, I believe the running question has been - how do you get enough Melta within 12" of said Titan in order to "peel it like an onion"?

Last I checked, a jump unit could attack the facing of a super-heavy walker they are actually "facing". Of course, that's in the original Apocalypse rule book.

As to getting enough melta in place ... tactics? Planning? Building your army with enough mobile melta to actually get into range of a Titan?

SJ

Titans can be locked in melee with other superheavies and gargantuan creatures. If you can get your own superheavy walker (reaver with titan CCW would be ideal), you could try to run over there and lock it in. Even if you don't kill it, you'll keep it tied up with fewer points. I held a shooty Reaver hostage for about half an apoc game one time with my Brass Scorpion that flank-marched on behind it.

Archived