Gift of Mutation analysis

minigun762

Looks good to me. You get a funky abillity unless you roll a 1, some of which are very good, a few not so awesome. Most are quite good though. In my game (only I have played with new codex so far) one champ got ice frost thing which killed a guardsman (not the best abillity that but ok) but another one gained +1 toughness. Warsmith gained adamantium will.

All in all, worth the points I reckon

Since you can't become a Daemon Prince or a Spawn with the pre-game roll, any result besides "Unworthy Offering" will have some merit, unless it's a ranged buff on a CC unit, or a CC buff on a ranged unit.

Personally, if I have the points, I will buy it for all MEQ champions and all HQ's

I like how some boons have the same names as attributes from the D1000 table in the original Realm Of Chaos book.

Looks good to me. You get a funky abillity unless you roll a 1, some of which are very good, a few not so awesome. Most are quite good though. In my game (only I have played with new codex so far) one champ got ice frost thing which killed a guardsman (not the best abillity that but ok) but another one gained +1 toughness. Warsmith gained adamantium will.

All in all, worth the points I reckon

Um; it lets you use FNP on a wound you would not otherwise get to?

A few of the abilities are really great, especially for champions like Shield of Force which gives the model and his unit Shrouded! Crusader is nice too, as it makes the unit much better as cc, and Stubborn is not too bad either. But a few of the buffs don't do much for a champ, but is really nice for ICs. A Tzeentch Lord in TDA that rolls Cosmic Fate would be a hard nut to crack. 2+/3++ save with reroll failed saves... :)

I would love for my DA to get Lifetaker, pretty insane.

All in all, you have a good chance of rolling something useful, so it should be worth it quite often.

O the pad so can't do a full analysis, but for starters, I can tell you that for a one wound squad leader, There are 32 possible results, ( from the boon bought before the battle), of these, I would call 19 good. This means they are not very situational, useless, or just rubbish. For Multiwound hqs, then 20 are good.

I'd say its usually worth it. I've played 3 games and each game took it on 3 or more champ/hq (I love random). only once was it a waste, and if you get 64 you will be very happy. Plague champ with shrouded, +1S, +1I, and +1T was very nice.

if you think about it you got a good shot at a useful ability, and some become down right nasty.

It's a case of playing the odds. One Gift of Mutation is far to random, but across a whole army you could gain an advantage.

A note on special characters; they shouldn't be fighting your challenges (unless they are Lucius) simply because their initiative is average (for characters) or their killing power is too good to waste on a single model. Have a reliable patsy, er, I mean unit champion to take the challenge. Khârn would enjoy carving through entire squads over a squad Sergeant!

I'd take it on my HQ. The chance for a better save, strength, FnP, whatever, all of them bar a 1 is really good. Probs wouldn't bother on my champs though. I'm already giving them PW's, don't wanna put too many points in one 1W model.

From what I'm noticing, it's all very situational to the champion/unit. In other words, Shrouded will be pointless on Thousand Sons but quite useful on most other squads, machanoid on a warpsmith vs a PA Sorceror, lifetaker on a Sorceror vs a CSM Champ. I just chalk it all up to the fickleness of the Chaos Gods, but either way, it's a fun time and not too bad of a gamble really.

Warp talons seem like an... inadvisable unit, but ok.

I used them in a game this week. They're not as bad as everyone seems to think but there are better options for the cost.

Archived