SPCM

LokisSword

All,

I make an emotional appeal to you all, brothers of the B&C.

There are many people who purchase Marines with good intentions, they plan to care for them and lavish them with detail and attention.

Some even intend to pose them in meaningful ways and to paint them with greater skill and patience than a 3 year old with a 4" masonry brush.

However, there are many who seem to buy Marines with the sole intention of slavering them with as much glue as would be required to stick an elephant to the ceiling and to paint them with 84 layers of enamel paint.

I reach out to you, my brothers, to help rescue as many of these unfortunate Marines as possible! Thankfully many of them can be found in places such as ebay, where their callous owners dispose of them. Let us lead them to a better life...

Hence I bring you the SPCM (Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Marines).

Through the SPCM we can strip, repose, repaint and give miniatures a better life.

So the aim of this thread:

1. Purchase some abused Marines
  2. Post a picture of them in their original condition
  3. Post a WIP shot of them
  4. Post a completed shot of them
  5. Profit!

My inspiration for this thread came from a bad purchase on ebay. The stuff arrived in much worse condition than I thought it would, so I had to resort to some pretty heavy handed stripping, remodelling, etc.

In the end I think I'll end up with some decent models - and I'll probably experiment with these guys a little more since they cost so little.

So come on fellow B&C brothers, post your ebay recoveries and horror stories!

Ok, so here goes...

BEFORE - eBay Seller Picture (I got the idea for this after stripping and hacking them up!)

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/131/assaultmarines.jpg

Assault squad 1.

They were in such bad shape, multiple layers of paint, soaked in super glue and plastic glue (melted neck on the Sarge).

I've had to hack them up as the poses were awful.

They needed a soak in Dettol and Acetone free nail varnish remover to get the paint off!

I'll post reposed, primer pics later tonight / tomorrow.

Cheers!

DeathKnight2000: Is that the badge on the same page as the "Saving baby birds that have fallen from their nest" badge? If so, yes - yes it does! :D

So onwards with my contribution to the SPCM.

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/6366/img20121009234459.jpg

Where I could get the superglue bonds broken I've tried to repose them into something approaching meaningful poses.

Unfortunately the Sarge's head was so melted into his body and covered in glue that I decided to remove his upper torso and replace it with an old Biker torso.

This does mean he's lost his braces, but oh well. It also seemed that the older torso was a fair bit shorter, so to give him a little more height I decided to give him some roadkill to stand on (a DE model that was given away as the show model for the last Games Day I went to... anyone know when that was?)

I was suprised that the primer coat came up so smooth, I'm aware their are gaps but I didn't want to saturate the models as there was still a thin layer of old paint residue on some of the models.

Overall I'm pretty chuffed with how they are coming along so far.

Ah, cheap Space Marines, the best kind!

I've done this before as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the models to hand any more to provide before and after shots, but if I do something similar again, I'll contribute to this most noble of causes!

Cheers,

WW

Ok, I'll bite.

Here's a picture of two landraiders in my Simple Green bucket. Yes, they were quite a mess of sludge and multiple layers of gunky paint:

gallery_15184_7227_724768.jpg

While I was scrubbing them, especially the one on the left, I found a basecoat of what could only be kindergarten grade craft paint (black), then a red layer with green bits (not sure if it was going to be BA or sallies), then a thick layer of white, like for White Scars, then a very solid layer of black for the eBay sale. The one on the right had a super thick black coat over another black basecoat, which was also quite brutal.

However with some love and attention, the following champions emerged

Leftie

gallery_15184_7227_2093.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_302610.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_569375.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_250539.jpg

Rightie

gallery_15184_7227_577926.jpg

WIP

gallery_15184_7227_545352.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_548637.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_415461.jpg

So after feeding them plenty of zeal and fury they are doing quite well and are crusading for the betterment of the Imperium.

I am a firm believer in happy endings.

Cheers,

@Brother Angelus: I always loved that figure. You did a wonderful job on him.

I did another save, another LR. I just love raiders, I guess. This is for my Custodes army.

So from this...<blech>

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9317.jpg

...to this...

gallery_15184_710_497321.jpg

gallery_15184_710_622140.jpg

gallery_15184_710_395377.jpg

gallery_15184_710_245424.jpg

gallery_15184_710_189517.jpg

gallery_15184_710_126498.jpg

gallery_15184_710_379471.jpg

gallery_15184_710_75110.jpg

Cheers,

This Brothers is exceptional work and exactly the spirit the SPCM embodies...

@WraithWing - Your contribution is anticipated, we welcome all to the leagues of the SPCM!

@Honda - Those BT LR's are exceptional, made even more so considering the state from which they were rescued. I'll have to investigate getting SimpleGreen here in the UK, from everything I've seen it seems considerably easier to work with than Dettol.

@Brother_Angelus - He's made an amazing recovery there! I've found that metal is considerably easier to rehabilitate - I have 10 Metal Deathwing termies (in my ETL thread) that pay testament to that.

@elohimalpha - Your predator will be most welcome, how badly has it been deformed by the warp?

I'm pondering creating an SPCM Sig Banner for proud members of the cause...

Might be a while til I get around to painting my assault squad, just decided to start assembling Dark Vengeance!

Onward brothers!!

@Brother Angelus: I always loved that figure. You did a wonderful job on him.

I did save another LR. I just love raiders, I guess. This is for my Custodes army.

Great work again. You've inspired me to recover my first land raider from back in 2000 when they were released. To the store! For Power Spray!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived