First Dark Angel - Updated with second attempt

Celestan

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while, and thought it was about time I posted something.

My first completed Dark Angel. Hopefully more to follow, and maybe a vow, work/life permitting.

gallery_69041_7813_160007.jpg

This is the first time I've highlighted like this, and to me it doesn't quite look right. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Celestan.

I did same as you first time I did Dark Angel that did not look like Salamander's chapter marine. Extreme highlight with moto green and caliban green made it that siomething was off or missing IMHO. Its tricky since you cannot really put mootgreen and caliban green and expect it looks good without some middle transition green. I use warpstone drybrush but you always can try mixing bit warpstoner glow to caliban green.

If you use too much warpstone glow to make highlights he looks like an salamander. My DA's don't look that good yet but I drybrush over caliban green with warpstone glow few times, then put biel-tan shade on crevises. Use moot green just extreme sharp edgees and places to bring high lights and cover it all with one or two thin layers of waywatchers green glaze. it works nicely.

Depending how much green you will put drybrush it will look something like my few tacticals in progress. I use very little amoutn of warpstone glow for drybrushing and let glaze bring it out later.:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/th_DSCF2223-1.jpg

By the way you paiint better than I do. I just hope this technique can help you bring it closer way you like it.

Edit: better picture:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/th_DSCF2290.jpg

Left has one with moot green high lights and waywatchers glaze. Right one has just calibran green with bit warpstone brushed on, waiting extreme highlights and glaze. As you can can see glaze does pop out bit colors more than you expect.

Welcome to the forum, and the Rock!

For a very first Dark Angel, that's a lovely looking miniature. Well done!

As Menchalior has already said, try a coat of Waywatcher Green glaze. That will work wonders in toning the brightness of the greens down a bit.

Cheers,

WW

Thanks for the replies, and advice.

I'll definitely try the glaze. Menchalior, your green looks a lot more like what I had in my head.

Thanks for the welcome Wraithwing, seeing all the great models on this forum has really inspired me to paint more, and try to improve my painting.

Celestan

what I like to do, cuz I like "DARK" Angels is use caliban green then shade, then hilight with warpstone glow. simple as that, quick as that and they look great on the table.

in the alternative, use armybuilder angel green spray, shade/darken with a wash of 50/50 nuln oil and biel tan green. then hilite with warpstone glow.

Celestan, that looks very nice, especially for a first Dark Angel. You've done a good job on the reds and the highlighting does look good. How are you doing your edge highlighting? Edge of the brush, tip, etc.

What colors did you use? Knowing what you have available (or if you want to buy more colors) will help with the advice you might receive.

Also, what are you wanting to do differently? Do you want more drastic color depth, more "realism", do you want to try non-metallic metals? All the suggestions in the world won't help you to do things you have no interest in doing.

EPK, thanks again for the link. Glad that topic might still be helpful to some people.

Welcome to the forum, Celestan!

Thanks for all the comments and advice, quite a few things to try out.

That link is very helpful, thanks Bryan and EPK.

Bryan,

The green was done with a base of Caliban green, I then brushed the edge with Goblin green, and then edged Skarsnik green on top.

On reflection I think Goblin green and Skarsnik green ended up being closer in colour than I thought they would. Next time I think I'll try a darker colour than Goblin green for the first highlight, and then try a waywatchers green glaze after the second.

In regards to available paints, I have most of the old range of GW paints, but can easily pick up any more that are required. (local store + working nights = helpful)

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do differently, as highlighting is something I've always struggled with. But I'm up for trying anything, and always interested in learning new techniques, all suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone again.

Celestan.

Celestan, I would definitely recommend doing a shade of some kind over the Caliban Green, whether you use Biel-Tan or Nuln Oil (the later if you want darker DA). You can do this prior to starting highlights or after (as Menchalior said he does), you'll have to decide which one gives you the effect you want. I've always been of two minds on using Snot Green (Warpstone in new colors) or Goblin Green (this is actually midway between Warboos Green and Skarsnik in the new colors, I think - YMMV) as the first highlight color, so that's really up to you. I like Warpstone a little more, but if you feel that Moot Green/Scorpion Green is too yellow, you could always try using a 1:1 Warpstone:Ushtabi (Bleached) Bone mix for the spot highlight color.

As far as technique, if you are using just edge highlights, make sure you are using the edge of the brush (not the tip) with a very light amount of paint on it (not quite dry brushing, but only lightly wet/semi-dry, hopefully you won't have any blobs run out onto the edges).

Honestly, I haven't even gotten close to feeling confident enough with wet blending (or any type of blending) to try and walk anyone through a non-metallic metal (or sky-earth non-metallic metal) style of highlighting. I prefer to use obsessive amounts of layers to try and get color transitions smooth (I really love the new GW paints for this because they have more layering colors, but I actually want a LOT more - like two in betweens of each color they have now).

Anyway, if you have any other questions, if you think I might be able to answer them, feel free to PM.

Thanks for all of your advice.

This is my second model;

gallery_69041_7813_131338.jpg

The green was done with,

Caliban green base coat, black lined with badab black.

Quite a heavy drybrush of warpstone glow, then a light drybrush of Goblin Green, then edged with Skarsnik Green.

I then glazed with Waywatcher green, and edged again with Skarsnik green.

It's a lot closer to what I wanted to achieve with the first model, although I think I need to watch that they don't end up getting too light. Now off to do the rest of the squad.

:) I like him a lot! A squad of them all kitted up should make for a fine visual. Great job! From the image, I can't tell if you highlighted the feat or the small plates at the top and bottom of the greaves, but that might add a little more to the appearance. I'd say you are well on your way! Keep 'em coming!

BTW, let's see a better shot of the eye lenses, you seem to have done a really good job from that image!

Very nice. :)

I don't like how your second model beats my 8th model... id would be my 108th model, but back when I started with the filthy xenos of Commoragh I cared not for painting ( literally, I used a peice of cardboard and three different colour spray paints to get me my three colours for tournaments)

Keep the work up Brother, You shall bring Glory and honour to your chosen Company and all shall fear your dice!

Thanks for all your comments, this forum has been very encouraging. I've only just started to enjoy the painting aspect of this hobby, previously I've seen paining as a chore that must be completed before fielding an army, but I'm really enjoying these models.

Bryan- you are correct, they have not been done. I left the bottom half as I wasn't sure what company I was going to choose for them (thinking 3rd) and then got over excited and completely forgot. It will be rectified ^_^

I can't provide any close up shots of the lenses at the moment, as my camera has had a small accident involving a surprisingly hard floor, and all I have is my phone, which refuses to focus that closely. I shall try and post a picture as soon as I can work out how to use my wife's camera :)

Hopefully it won't be too long until the squad is finished, although I am a very slow painter.

Archived