Necron Flying Circus

Schultzhoffen

Hi

Although I've only faced Necrons under 5th ed rules, I'm very aware that on the Tournament Scene here they rule the skies (and usually the top spots at events).

What would be the best tactics to counter 'crons at 1850 points under Tournament conditions? Most lists contain several fliers and/or a Lord Council (?) of rather horrifying proportions.

I run a balanced bog standard Marine list with a naked Librarian, Tac Terminators, an Ironclad in a drop pod, Sternguard, Attack Bikes, Predators and a Vindicator. I realise that my list will change (I have an Aegis Defense Line but it does not fill me with huge confidence v AV13). Is it time for Storm Talons/Stormraven allies or is there another way to conter flying armies?

Thanks in advance.

CronAire lists can be hard to deal with, especially if your local meta is codex only (a.k.a No Forge World). Not only will you be facing 6 or more croissants, but when you shoot them down their "passengers" do not have to take a S10 hit; they just walk on the board from reserves. Add in the extra long night fighting, lightning storms and tesla weapons and they can seem all but unstoppable. Vendetta's help (I have not tried these personally) and if you can handle running with heretics, Chaos SM now have flak missiles and the vector striking heldrake. But that's probably not much help.

Storm Talons are useful if a bit costly. A defense line with a quadgun works wonders but it can only shoot down one flyer at a time. Regular ground forces need to use 3 to 4 twin-linked melta or lascannon for each flyer. You can see where Necrons have the advantage when you are looking at 100 to 150 points in upgrades just to counter a single flying rhino .... but that's the way it is until you get your 6th Ed codex.

Spotlights! Focus fire and lots of it. Eliminate full units at a time. Reserve your foot sloggers to keep them out of the lightning for a couple of turns. You won't need them for the first 2 turns anyway.

There was a spell in Fantasy battles when I played long ago that would send all flying creatures crashing to the ground. Once this gets added to someone's codex, you will see the end of the flying circus. But that's no help at all for now.

Archived