DA successor questions

SickSix

Hello Unforgiven,

I am slowly working on a DIY chapter and am thinking about making them DA successors for a couple reasons; I have 2x DV tactical squads and 10 of the terminators + the special characters, I have also always wanted to use the robed marines, and DA seem to favor ranged combat.

However, I have some questions:

- Is it acceptable to have DA successors that don't really care about the whole 'fallen' thing? Maybe a recent founding chapter has less inclination to feel obligated to that special mission...

- Do PA Dark Angels forces actually favor ranged combat?

- Would a late founding successor have Deathwing? TA is fairly sparse in newer chapters right?

- Or is DW and RW a DA specific thing?

All DA successors who are AWARE of the fallen care, and typically follow the DA chapter organisation. If you choose to have your chapter unaware of the fallen there's no reason they cannot be a codex chapter, following standard organisation with DA geneseed and markings, as besides the 1st and 2nd Co, DAs are considered to be codex compliant.

Cheers,

Jono

there is already one successor that doesnt care so much about the 'fallen' thing - angels of absolution. of course if they find a fallen they are likely to capture him and send him to the rock. no reason you can have your own fluff to suggest your guys either dont know or dont care abot the fallen

DA can do assault though usually with deathwing geared up as close combat units. bikes are better this edition than they were but are still not really an assault unit. assault marines have their uses but are nothing special.

late founding chapters may well have terminator armour. it is rare but DA are notorious for having old gear and may well loan/gift it to successors.

DA/RW elements can be mirrored in successors and short of using allies to change the rules/points for bikes/terminators/speeders, you will be taking them from C:DA anyway

As the others have said. Plus -- they're your Successors so gave them the backstory and organisation that you want -- and enjoy. Welcome to the Rock.

Cheers

I

Cool thanks for the prompt replies.

I will make them DA successors that don't know about the fallen.

I like the DA iconography and like I said want to use the DA veterans box.

I plan to run a foot PA list that marches behind the siege shields of an Ares flanked by two Vindicators. I will have fluff to explain their style.

IMHO if the chapter has no knowledge of the Fallen, you're missing one of the keys points of being DA successor. The whole DA mythos and organization is based on Fallen hunting... WEhy replicate a codex structure and get their gene-seed if you're not taking advantage of one of their "quirks"? Just saying. :D

IMHO if the chapter has no knowledge of the Fallen, you're missing one of the keys points of being DA successor. The whole DA mythos and organization is based on Fallen hunting... WEhy replicate a codex structure and get their gene-seed if you're not taking advantage of one of their "quirks"? Just saying. :D

Honestly? Becuase I think it is dumb.

Why make them a DA successor? For the reasons I have already stated.

Iconography

Preference for ranged combat

Robed marines

Oh and Lots of Chaplains! (if rumors prove true)

Well, he's stated he just likes their asthetic.

Personally if you're going DA Successor just for their look, I'd run the army out of Codex: Space Marines rather than Codex: Dark Angels. The whole reason DA diverge from codex is the Deathwing and Ravenwing, which are tied pretty tightly to the whole "Hunt the Fallen" shtick we have.

Without that, your chapter has no reason to have a Deathwing and Ravenwing equivalent. Codex: Space Marines has better costed stuff and more options, so you'd probably be better off buying DA models and having them stand in for C:SM units. (Such as DA robed veteran models standing in for Sternguard/Vanguard, if you kitbash them to have the right armaments. And maybe even Sammael on a jetbike standing in for the White Scars bike character and suchlike).

Then again DA is probably getting a new codex soon, and we might be the more appealing option when that hits.

As Avon and I mentioned, a new codex is immenent. I am hoping for a few things from it: more plasma love, viable PA foot list, lots of Chaplains.

I may run them as C:SM or C:DA depending on what list I want or how the DA dex turns out. But I came here because I need to know about the fluff regardless.

there is already one successor that doesnt care so much about the 'fallen' thing - angels of absolution. of course if they find a fallen they are likely to capture him and send him to the rock. no reason you can have your own fluff to suggest your guys either dont know or dont care abot the fallen

It always seemed to me that the AoA do care about the Fallen, they just don't feel guilty about it because their actions at Caliban have absolved them. That doesn't mean that the Fallen aren't some kind of intense threat to both the Imperium and the other unforgiven chapters. The Unforgiven have the best skill set to hunt down their fallen comrades so it morally falls to them to do so. Plus, all of these chapters have to acknowledge the political danger of a Fallen angel making knowledge of the fall available to certain groups (*cough* Inquisition *cough*.)

Connecting this back on topic, any Unforgiven chapter that knew of the Fallen (the vast majority) would endeavour to capture them for the same reasons that AoA likely do: moral and political. The aspect of guilt that most DA have doesn't have to be part of it.

Connecting this back on topic, any Unforgiven chapter that knew of the Fallen (the vast majority) would endeavour to capture them for the same reasons that AoA likely do: moral and political. The aspect of guilt that most DA have doesn't have to be part of it.

I like this idea. And I think you actually made me realize that it is not so much the 'fallen' thing that really bugs me, it is the guilt. So maybe I just have an un-guilty chapter like the AoA. I will have to think about that.

Maybe your chapter is a Successor of the Angels of Absolution rather than directly from the Dark Angels. So the philosophy could be that your chapter was descended from a line absolved of the "original sin" of the legion, so your chapter was "born" unburdened.

Kind of like the immaculate conception and the Virgin Mary in christian mythos. She was born without the original sin of Eve's temptation of Adam, so she could be the vessel for the messiah. (Not getting into a religious debate here, just relaying what their mythology has to say.)

Maybe your Chapter has a belief that the Lion himself will be reborn from your ranks. Which kinda pisses off all the other DA successors and the DA themselves.

Maybe you can work in the word "Immaculate" into the name of your chapter to strengthen this thematic tie to being untainted with the guilt of the Fallen. Immaculate Angels? Marines Immaculate? Dunno.

EDIT: Oh, oh. How bout Knights Immaculate? That sounds cool.

I like this idea. And I think you actually made me realize that it is not so much the 'fallen' thing that really bugs me, it is the guilt. So maybe I just have an un-guilty chapter like the AoA. I will have to think about that.

The guilt aspect of DA kept me away from them for years. It wasn't until I read the current codex and saw their description of the Angels of Absolution that I found a way to play a chapter that was 90% what I wanted. The other 10% was just too emphasized to me.

Archived