Validity of Dark Angels symbols

DarkAngelDelight

I THINK those are made up by the Dark Fortress (wouldn't say "falisified", but rather "invented").

The only official Army Badge I know of is the Campaign for Piscina IV badge, which is two black crossed swords on a bone-white circular field. Also, yellow chevrons for individual battle honorss, like for Korth Ridge, during that campaign.

(As seen in the last page of this PDF)

EDIT: Apparently they are accurate. I just assumed they were invented originally to avoid any legal action for distributing PDFs of them through the website.

I was actually about to make a post asking for help in the search for Ravenwing banners, as google images kept giving me fruity vampires... Then I saw this post. Thank you very much, quite a few amazing banners and flags and everything there. :P

I THINK those are made up by the Dark Fortress (wouldn't say "falisified", but rather "invented").

The only official Army Badge I know of is the Campaign for Piscina IV badge, which is two black crossed swords on a bone-white circular field. Also, yellow chevrons for individual battle honorss, like for Korth Ridge, during that campaign.

EDIT: Apparently they are accurate. I just assumed they were invented originally to avoid any legal action for distributing PDFs of them through the website.

I'll have to ask for a better link than this one. I have tried to access it with IA & FF on two different computers. And every time I get a "forcibly closed by the Remote host shutdown" error message.

Now I know that GW is worthless when it comes to accessing it's own information. But since you put it up here, you think you can find a working link? Thanks.

Ha...

Yes they were made up, (invented whatever you want to call it, but within fairly strict parameters) but who's to say they aren't right or valid :P.

As far as any army badges go, they are fairly transient so come and go at a fast rate depending on campaigns being fought and the whim of the individual commanders, so I wasn't too worried about their adherence to anything official.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I

I'll have to ask for a better link than this one. I have tried to access it with IA & FF on two different computers. And every time I get a "forcibly closed by the Remote host shutdown" error message.

Now I know that GW is worthless when it comes to accessing it's own information. But since you put it up here, you think you can find a working link? Thanks.

My apologies, looks like I copied a truncated link. Here's the correct one.

i think in the second edition codex (4th edition game) it had a hobby section with an army badge. i 'think' it was a red diamond with a white skull on it though i mightbe getting confused between codexes

here's the bit form the piscina book you want:

gallery_20758_2198_67739.jpg

i had this in 2nd edition - used it more for gorkamorka terrain to be honest though it was what got me into DA in the first place! i had been collecting chaos before hand :S

thanks for the link Avon Rekaes, it's something extra that can go into my resource folder. every little helps!

Ha...

Yes they were made up, (invented whatever you want to call it, but within fairly strict parameters) but who's to say they aren't right or valid :angry:.

As far as any army badges go, they are fairly transient so come and go at a fast rate depending on campaigns being fought and the whim of the individual commanders, so I wasn't too worried about their adherence to anything official.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I

I'm sorry if i cause any offense, i must admit i did slightly word that wrong. Just 'made up' would have been better than falsified - sort of make it sound like i've put you on trial lol.

I ask because i like the look of them (regardless of how old they were) and i wanted to add something else to my marines that showed they had been through a few/ many campaigns/ missions without going too much down the battle damaged armour look. The 'Hostage rescue' symbol in particular caught my eye.

Thanks for the responses!

Also, lhd033 thanks for that picture also. thats another one for the resource folder!

not DA but might be interesting

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Honour_...(Space_Marines)

i was wrong - the old army badge was a red triangle with a white skull - you used to get these seperately on the transfer sheet

gallery_20758_2198_7805.jpg

where as now you get them combined already along with other army badges

gallery_20758_2198_25889.jpg

been a while since i used any GW transfers

If memory serves, the 2nd ed Deathwing also sported the skull on red triangle army badge, with the addition of a set of black wings behind the skull.

I might revisit that old army badge for my DV Dark Angels.

Cheers,

WW

OMG I just finnished the Purge of K book, and I wanted to do that. Thanks!

I'm sorry if i cause any offense, i must admit i did slightly word that wrong. Just 'made up' would have been better than falsified - sort of make it sound like i've put you on trial lol.

No offence taken here DarkAngelDelight. I have terminator armour you know to shrug it off :D

Cheers

I

not DA but might be interesting

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Honour_...(Space_Marines)

i was wrong - the old army badge was a red triangle with a white skull - you used to get these seperately on the transfer sheet

gallery_20758_2198_7805.jpg

where as now you get them combined already along with other army badges

gallery_20758_2198_25889.jpg

been a while since i used any GW transfers

I've seen that website before, i think i kind of ignored it because i thought that codex honours might be slightly different to dark angels honours. I'm probably wrong though.

As for the transfers, i can't use them. They fold in places you don't want and are hard to place, then when you have them right, they react horribly to purity seal. I think transfers just hate me, so i'd rather go down the arduous route of sculpting them B)

If memory serves, the 2nd ed Deathwing also sported the skull on red triangle army badge, with the addition of a set of black wings behind the skull.

I might revisit that old army badge for my DV Dark Angels.

Cheers,

WW

I'm a fan of 2nd ed style, so it's only right to go down that route by using stuff from that period. i might search ebay for the old AoD codex..... ^_^

No offence taken here DarkAngelDelight. I have terminator armour you know to shrug it off :P

Cheers

I

LOL well at least terminator armour is good for something other than ap3 weapons!

i agree on transfers - i never really got the hang of them. tried them a few times and picked up some of the flesh tearers and Angels of vengence ones that i've yet to try/throw away in disgust. yet to microsol/set type products.

if nothing esle the decals give you another reference for badges you can paint instead.

i think both codex angels of death and codex DA second edition (4th ed 40k) had guides for the triangle/skull army badge - when they used to run 3rd company for the PA marines.

if you like the crossed swords option, they're is/was a metal DA shoulder pad with this in (also a metal Ravenwing bikrer torso) that you could press mould. also - the skull on a marines backpack is a nice depth on a flat background to use (my culn/belial has this replacing his red scoorpian on the chest plate)

Archived