Dark Angel Scouts

Ahistorian

Obviously you have to use DA Scouts differently to your standard Space Marine novices, since they are only Denial units and that little bit more expensive to boot...

What suggestions do people have since they have neither Scout nor the option for camo-cloaks (also, why is that?).

Cheers!

Obviously you have to use DA Scouts differently to your standard Space Marine novices, since they are only Denial units and that little bit more expensive to boot...

What suggestions do people have since they have neither Scout nor the option for camo-cloaks (also, why is that?).

Cheers!

2 ways are best. Sniper Rifles and Missile launcher in cover. Good long range, could kill a few enemies, rending something huge possibly.

or Close Combat Squad. Shield with a Rhino, or infiltrate them properly and they can do damage. If you execute properly, you can get 31 attacks on a charge!

Also with scouts, always take 10 and expect them to die. They can be a great sqaud, but they are kinda handcuffed in our codex. They desperately need a ride!

I think because our Scouts are Elite and have basically the same stats as PA marines (minus the extra armour save) they may be overpowered, so no Cloaks or Scout. Also, perhaps these rules came out after our last dex was written?

snipers all the way for me.

the other option is to ally in a HQ and run them as troops/space marine scouts (fluff wise maybe from a sucessor chapter?) to get back scoring if its worth enough to you/you want other units

The Sniper Rifle Route is probably the better way to go. It enables you to use their BS4 to full effect. At least the Dark Angels have that advantage over their fellow Powered Armor Brethren!

The close combat unit... meh. No invulnerable saves, a 4+ Armor save, one power weapon or P-fist. It's hard to get them into close combat, and once there, well... depends on what you are attacking.

As to no Camo Cloaks- the DA codex came out before C:SM, and we didn't get them. /shrug It could have been FAQ'd later like a lot of stuff in the DA Codex, but it wasn't and here we are today.

I figured snipers would be the way forward. I've been reading a Gerald Seymour book about two coppers out on a stag in Iran recently, and I was going to do some simple ghillie suit/gun-barrel conversions. It doesn't quite seem appropriate without the option for camo-cloaks, but then again, they are Elites...

I figured snipers would be the way forward. I've been reading a Gerald Seymour book about two coppers out on a stag in Iran recently, and I was going to do some simple ghillie suit/gun-barrel conversions. It doesn't quite seem appropriate without the option for camo-cloaks, but then again, they are Elites...

Always go with the rule of cool - this would definitely fit the bill :)

Same here. Scouts never appealed to me when I used to play vanilla marines, precisely because they were worse stat-wise. Since re-entering the hobby with Dark Angels, I've been eyeing the BS/WS 4 sniper scouts, but the lack of camo cloaks has turned me off. If I were to ever field them, they would be wearing cloaks just for the awesome look of it, even the new codex still doesn't give it to them.

Personally, I cannot stand snipers in this game. They always feel underwhelming for me. I run my scouts as 50/50 close combat weapons and shotguns. Outflank those bad boys and put some hurt on whoever they're next to. They're cheap and fairly utilitarian. The only problem I have with them in 6th is which weapon setup to have in the front to die first. Oh because make no mistake, they die easily and fairly fast, but can absorb quite a bit of attention before doing so.

One key to their success is to make sure you put a piece of terrain on both flanks for them to walk into.

Keep in mind the 'Sniper' rule from pg. 42 BBB. A to hit roll of '6' is a Precision Shot (pg. 63 BBB).

Wounds from Precision Shots are allocated against a model (or models) of your choice in the target unit, as long as it is in range, rather than following the normal rules for Wound Allocation.
All Sniper Weapons always wound on a 4+, regardless of Toughness. Finally, all Sniper weapons cause Pinning and are Rending.

A squad of four or five Snipers (with maybe a Missile Launcher) will mess a squad up. If they get charged- Snipers can Snap Fire, though Overwatch does not cause a pinning test. Think about this- if a Sniper Squad moves, it must snap fire the sniper rifle during it's next shooting phase. You need sixes to snap fire... which conveniently gain Precision Shot. Or fire your bolt pistol at your normal BS. Never forget about the bolt pistol! Myself- unless the target is Fearless, I'd go for the pinning test.

To me the rule of cool applies, 5dudes with sniper rifles looks stupid, 1dude is crap. Answer, take a Vindicare.

I own 15 of the little sniper darlin's but I can't bring myself to field them, even if they have some use now.

Good luck and may the new dex bring us good fortune :D

stobz

In sub 1000 point games, DA scouts are a must for me. It's a cheap way to field a denial unit and free up points for a toy in a small match. Over 1000 they don't seem to do much, no matter how they are blinged out.

To me the rule of cool applies, 5dudes with sniper rifles looks stupid, 1dude is crap. Answer, take a Vindicare.

I own 15 of the little sniper darlin's but I can't bring myself to field them, even if they have some use now.

Good luck and may the new dex bring us good fortune ^_^

stobz

See now? I can really tell its you with the old avatar.

BTW there are rumors about impending marine releases and one of them is a repackage of the scouts into a combi kit (really? didnt see that coming duh...) and remolding their heads to be a little bit smaller.

Archived