Devastator Squads

Statto

Welcome to the Rock Statto,

Far, Far too expensive compared to RW Typhoons with MM.

Simple really. Shame because they look and feel cool, they just don't cut it in comparison.

Hopefully things change (and I don't mean dearer Typhoons) :P

stobz

Like Brother Stobzz stated, they just cost too much while we have other options. Another detractor is that our codex doesn't allow our Devastator Sergeants to use the special targeting device (can't remember what it's called) that other sergeants get to use in the Space Marine or Blood Angels codex.

However, if you play a lot of higher points games, like 2000+, Devastators can be a great addition to an army. I've been toying around with the idea of a 5-man squad with 2 missile launchers, 1 lascannon and 1 plasma cannon. Feels like it could be a potent combination.

The big issue I always had with Devastators in 5th Ed was that although they are really little more than Tactical Marines with Heavy Weapons, they weren't able to hold objectives. I would have been far more tempted to use them if they could have sat on an objective in my deployment area! The second issue is with the price.....there's just so much more available to both Codex Marines and DA which are as good and cheaper!

The big issue I always had with Devastators in 5th Ed was that although they are really little more than Tactical Marines with Heavy Weapons, they weren't able to hold objectives. I would have been far more tempted to use them if they could have sat on an objective in my deployment area!

Its a Marine players wet dream really.

The big issue I always had with Devastators in 5th Ed was that although they are really little more than Tactical Marines with Heavy Weapons, they weren't able to hold objectives. I would have been far more tempted to use them if they could have sat on an objective in my deployment area!

Its a Marine players wet dream really.

Indeed! I always thought the rule should have been that any infantry unit can hold an objective, regardless of where it sits in the FOC. After all, grunts on the ground are still soldiers, even if they work in the cookhouse! Remember Kelly's Heroes? Kelly used the Band and the Grave Diggers as objective takers! :)

As with a great many things (flyers) we wait with baited breath of what the new codex brings......

and for my two cents, id much prefer a dev. squad:

a min size dev sqd is approx 185 pts with 4 HW's

u need a min of 4 hits and failed saves to take it out.

for around same points you could take 2 dakka pred's, granted thats 6 HW's, but two good hits, no save , bye bye go cry with a watcher in the dark.

yeap, i just convinced myself to go get a squad of Dev's, :)

Like many has said DEV's are too expensive what they can really mount, but still... having 2 plasma tacts (plasma pistol, plasma gun and plasma cannon) I am really wanting to borrow my BA DEV's with 4 plasma cannons as ally (Cheaper plasma cannons and sarge having signum)... And just attach Libby to them with 2 power generated from diviniation and you got plasma spam only IG can really match up... Still I am like rest followers of Lion waiting new 'dex... Till then I am just reinforcing cooling syste m of my plasma and praying dice gods be merciful.

This meta trend is changing, and very quickly.

6th is very infantry friendly, with vehicles becoming easier to kill.

It's probably easier now to strip that Ravenwing of HP's- after all, it's not a flyer, and the Jink save is a 50/50 chance at best, though reduced effectiveness during the next round.

A Devastator Squad can be placed in cover and then just shoot for the rest of the game. Ideally, place them behind an Aegis Defense Line. Then you'll enjoy interceptor/skyfire, a 4+ cover save, and have the big guns to shoot at another target. It'll also be way more endurable and if placed in some kind of cover, will probably last the entire game. Devastators are great at sitting on objectives.

A RW Speeder is a great assassin. It can move stupid fast and get a great 4++. Throw it on a flank, move it all out, and let it go tank hunting. Or hold it back, taking shots of opportunity.

I play a Greenwing army with a Davastator Squad and RW Landspeeder to get all the advantages listed above. It works pretty well.

When the new DA Codex drops, I expect a Flak Missile option for DA Devastators. When that happens, and unless the RW Landspeeder drastically changes, I'll probably retire it and use more Devastators.

Archived