Zhent's Angels

Zhent

So after spending the last couple of weeks lurking and asking questions / drooling over WW's Librarian, I've gone ahead and finally taken some photos of the work that I've done. I do not have an oath, as I work in a hospital and can have fairly significant work swings from month to month, but I try to get at least one squad done per week, if possible.

First off, my current force of Dark Angels:

gallery_69026_7769_269942.jpg

Not pictured: 1 Venerable Dreadnought, 1 DA Veteran Squad, 1 Landraider. Most of this was painted about a decade ago, before I re-entered the hobby.

Next, my recently completed DA Vets squad:

gallery_69026_7769_321355.jpg

Note: After this picture I hit the red and metal with a wash + drybrush, which lessened the bold coloring and made it a lot more grimdark, which I prefer. This is an example post-wash:

gallery_69026_7769_28173.jpg

Finally, my librarian, shamelessly copied from WraithWing:

gallery_69026_7769_467875.jpg

He is still a WIP. To Do: fix highlights on back, finish sword, deal with cloak, highlihgt red again, do something about face. Finish Purity Seals.

love the robes!

can see some nice older models dotted around in that group shot

it may be the photo taking away some of the detail but he librariam may apprciate a wash to add a bit of depth to the armour - drakenhof nightshade, if i rememer right, should be good.

Nice collection you have there - I'm looking forward to seeing it as it progresses B)

The Libbi is looking good but I agree with Ihg033 that the blue could do with some depth.

love the robes!

can see some nice older models dotted around in that group shot

it may be the photo taking away some of the detail but he librariam may apprciate a wash to add a bit of depth to the armour - drakenhof nightshade, if i rememer right, should be good.

Thanks! Yeah, definitely a couple of old-school marines. Unfortunately they also represent some of the earliest cave-painting that I managed to drip onto my models <_<

Nice collection you have there - I'm looking forward to seeing it as it progresses ;)

The Libbi is looking good but I agree with Ihg033 that the blue could do with some depth.

Yeah, I definitely plan on doing some dark highlighting. The librarian is actually an experiment in airbrush highlighting as well - it doesn't come through very well in the picture, but there is some noticeable lightening as you look more top-down on the model. It still needs some line-specific highlights, but I don't want to do too much and ruin that effect. Not sure where that line is, so I'm probably about to run right over that cliff, but eh, it's a test model :)

Wow, that's a lot of Dark Angels! They look good too.

A question though - are you after a quick painting solution which gets them on the tabletop quickly, or are you after tips to improve your painting? What's your primary motivation here?

Wow, that's a lot of Dark Angels! They look good too.

A question though - are you after a quick painting solution which gets them on the tabletop quickly, or are you after tips to improve your painting? What's your primary motivation here?

I'm looking for anything that will help the final product - at this point, I can get enough paint on the models to put a good army on the table, and while it doesn't match in paint quality it is all close enough that the army looks cohesive and pretty awesome.

What I have trouble with are things like washes, for example: I am currently deepening the highlights on the robes with an Agrax Earthshade wash, followed by a drybrush of bleached bone before highlighting in white. When I do the wash, it comes out fairly streaky and the brush strokes are evident. Do I need to water it down, am I missing something else?

Wet Blending - I've read about it, but the few occasions I've tried to blend on the model it ends up looking terrible. Any tips on this would be appreciated too, as it seems like the way to get great looking blended power swords.

WW - you just wanted me to stop lurking in your WIP thread :lol:

Those are great, I'm definitely going to be watching some of those today and trying to figure out what he's doing.

Librarian Turmiel is basically done at this point, I have to remove him from his temporary base and put him on a permanent base, at which point I think I'll call him good. Pictures to follow tonight after work - C&C as ever appreciated.

you may want to take a look at winterdyne's tutorial for airbrushing zenithal highlights too

www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/winterdyne_tutorial1.pdf

with the current paint range i dont tend to water down washes i do however try and give a liberal coat and give them an age to dry. a final glaze also helps to pring the colours together if you find the contrasts a bit much

the robes on this guy were done in the old paints - i think i followed the cloak lining guide form the WD article for painting the space hulk terminator sergeant

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=263139

Good models up there :cry:

As a general piece of advice, it seems you might be slapping your paint a bit too thick.

For example, on the flamer tactical marine and the libby.

If you go for more watered down paint, it'll take longer, but the layering will help to give depth to the model.

As for the white icons, try and do a very light wash (blue?) over it and then softly blend a bit of off white to do the high lighting. I'm sure it'll take you like 5 minutes and can improve quite a bit the overall feeling, since those a key visual references.

Keep pushing your paint!

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm not the best at keeping my posting regular.

DV Chaplain:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee431/ZhentNikon/Chaplain2.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee431/ZhentNikon/Chaplain3.jpg

And the Librarian finished for real:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee431/ZhentNikon/Librarian1.jpg

Working on the Terminators in the photo next.

Archived