Robing Up!

Zoatibix

Hello,

Returning to the Emperor's Grace after not playing loyalist marines since...er....1st Edition really. Since then I think I've played a handful of games with my old RTB01 Beakies and a couple with GK allies in my SoB force but played Chaos Marines and Nids through 2nd edition.

Through 3rd-5th my armies were mainly Tyranids and Dark Eldar - although I haven't played much of anything over the last year due to working and doing a course at College!

My club are going to being doing a ToWG in the New Year and I'd like to play a heavy infantry army just to get some of those 'armour saves' that my beloved Dark Eldar hear so much about. Now, I have a huge pile of Necron and I am tempted to give them a go after almost eight years of playing with that same codex but I am a bit put off by reports of their sudden upswing in power. Plus their shooting range seems fairly similar to DE and Nids. I'd like an army that can reach out and punch the enemy in the face from across the table a little more often....that isn't always trying to batter the foe in assault. An army that gets to take a bit of a stiff breeze without falling over. Another plus for DA is that I haven't started a new army since the Dark Eldar starter set at the beginning of third. Really that seems what a ToWG should be about, rather than rebuilding an existing army.

Having bought DV fully intending to play Chaos Marines I found myself ambivalent about the cultists and decidedly :) about the style of the newer Chaos figures. I kept looking at the new Chaos Sorcerer who is very dull and plain then looking at the funky Librarian on the DV sprue and wondering if I shouldn't give the loyalists a shout. That and in all my years of gaming I've only known one DA player!

So I've taken the plunge and swapped my Chaos Marines for more Dark Angels!

I confess to not being keen on the idea of ignoring the will of the God-Emperor in pursuit of the Fallen so I will be playing a Successor chapter. Traitors should be killed, obviously. I'm hoping that the new codex will include a couple of new successor schemes. At the moment I am thinking either a dark red with black or white robes or bi-coloured black and mid-green.

Another thing I'm hoping for is some really cool figures. I really like the older DA models but wasn't so keen on the veterans (seemed to have very square hoods). Whilst I dont' get much painted the look of the army is very important to me...I'm really hoping that the Unforgiven end up with the wealth of great kits that SW and BA have.

And I have no idea of a Chapter name...possibly Red Seraphim.

Going to stop now as I'm rambling but come February I hope to put my own force of Angels on the table.

Pursuing the Fallen is the most sublime form of service to the Emperor you can ever perform! Obviously you must be weaned out of your xenos mindset. Proceed to cell 43 for further instructions.

Ahem.. You might want to give the Guardians of the Covenant a try. From a fluff perspective, they're famous for defeating exotic xenos threats and spearheading crusades into the fringes of the galaxy, and their colour scheme is close to some of your own original ideas. Also, lore. Lots and lots of lore. They're the end-all bookworm marines, which is pretty cool if you ask me. If you want a Chapter whose fluff is basically "not a single reproductive act was given that day", you can also go for the Angels of Vengeance, who never retreat until the enemy's crushed, whomever that enemy may be, no matter how abysmal the odds.. And they make it work!

One final warning, our kit is considerably less shiny than the remainder of the Marine codexes owing to chronological issues and experimental designs. The ugly face of power creep will glower shamelessly in your face whenever you deal with a younger codex, so unless you can deal with those issues... I won't say "leave the Rock and never come back", but be prepared for a rough path until we get our update, which should be around the corner Emprah willing.

Oh, and welcome to the Rock. Don't touch the muffins on Luther's cell, they're there for experimental purposes.

At the moment I am thinking either a dark red with black or white robes or bi-coloured black and mid-green.

Take a look at Captain Semper's Consecrators thread if you are interested in a black/red colour scheme. It is a great thread showing off the creation of an army over almost exactly a year.

Alternatively, as Azreal suggested, the Guardians of the Covenant could fit your needs. The GoTC got a lot of love from the E Tenebrae Lux competition held on tthe boards between May and August, so there are a number of threads showing different takes on the Chapter (including, if I can be so bold, my Chapter linked in the sig below) :P

Anyway, welcome to the Rock, remember hunting the Fallen is like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you're gonna get! :P

And if you hear screaming from the depths, its not torture, its just Mavis the cleaner singing....at least that's what I've been telling myself.... :lol:

Welcome to the Rock!

It seems your timing is excellent as rumors now call for an imminent release of our new Codex (just hope they hold true)! :)

Black and red is a striking and forgiving combo and has strong references to the original legion colors. However, the new Codex might also present some new Successor Chapters that could be very appealing (from a color or background point of view or both). So let's see..

BTW, how do you feel about the Horus Heresy by Forgeworld?

Oh, and Facmanpob? thx mate! ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will abstain from the cookies!

The GotC look nice but I have a Silver armoured, red robed SoB army already! :) My beakies were black...well, actually a stupidly dark grey...and I don't have a black army. On the other hand there are going to be Ravenguard and BT in the ToWG as well as one or two Black Legion forces...I want my successors to be easily distinguished from the foul traitors!

While I can't start my ToWG painting until February I will hopefully be able to work on a couple of test models - just praying that the new DA Codex is out before then.

A question: are the DA marines that come with the 40K starter different to the DV ones...I notice they have slings on their bolters for one.

I think it means Tale of ....[something]... Gamers - as in start an army from scratch and build it up by adding a new unit every month or so....at least that's what I make of it ^_^

A question: are the DA marines that come with the 40K starter different to the DV ones...I notice they have slings on their bolters for one.

not sure what you mean by this - Dark Vengeance is the 40k starter...... :lol:

I've just realised that GW do an Angels of Vengeance transfer sheet on their website.

My sucky freehand has always put me off doing a successor chapter, but I may just have to add an allied contingent of AoV to my DA's now.

They have a nice black colour scheme, so you could go for those?

Cheers,

WW

My apologies - I meant the Starter Paint Set. I actually got my hands on the box today and the figures are a little different to the DV ones but not as good.

ToWG is indeed a Tale of Wargamers. Frustratingly I can't even begin painting test models until 1st Feb! :o

I do like the Angels of Vengeance - black armour and red robes ticks a couple of boxes. Oddly, my RT era marines had a red triangle as their chapter symbol...which if you really squint hard is echoed in the AoV badge.

doing AoV for my PtR vows

i have the AoV transfers - not sure if i will use them at the moment. colour wise the come up fine onthe bac but the shape of them needs some trimming. also, like a muppet, i didnt notice that the whole transfer sheet is transfer paper rather than just each transfer on the sheet so that didnt help. you need to trim them close

the chapeter badge isnt actually to bad to paint so i may go that way in the end.

Archived