CSM FAQ 1.0 released!

Attomsk

Even so, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of the errata or the precedent it sets. Maybe if it had been off by 25 points, but five points? If I were them, I would have just let it stand. Being five points overpriced doesn't make a serious difference on the brute. Even without, it was still functional enough for casual games, and even with it isn't viable in a competitive environment, so why bother now?

I don't mean to be complaining about a points drop. It just seems weird is all.

Oh, but I agree, it is wierd. I am just trying to find the logical explanation, and I some how think I did. But yeah, for sure unexpected and a rarity. But if Kellys first copy (just a stupid example) had it shown at 100 points, and it some how ended up being printed 105 by mistake, then I guess I can understand that they fix it when they realise they have to fix some Codex wording anyway.

Oddity though for sure!

And that's why I decided to wait to tear apart my terminators.

Same here. Thank you to whoever it was that said it was rumoured to FAQ'd!

I was just reporting what they said on facebook.

I can't beleive it was actually correct!

Well, this is not the last FAQ, not by a longshot. They have many more pressing issues...

I am curious to what kind of prince Abbadon turns into :( Could be fun!

Yeah the zombies, axe and terminators all felt like "Ooops! My bad" moments.

I'm still hoping they take a look at the Noise Marine's weapons configurations.

This is what I'm waiting for too! It's a shame we have to hold back our modelling for things like this.

This errata is just GW fixing the worst foul-ups in a poorly written 'dex. Not sure if it was rushed or whether the proof-readers were asleep.

The helbrute thing has me scratching my head. This sort of thing is almost unprecedented- a rare few FAQs changed the cost of bits and pieces of wargear in the past, but that is quite rare. Of course, maybe it was always intended and they simply forgot to tweak the points cost when they were cut n' pasting in the loyalist dread rules.

Not this again... can we please not start this mindless bashing of the new codex? We're here to talk about the FAQ, so stay on subject please.

Even so, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of the errata or the precedent it sets. Maybe if it had been off by 25 points, but five points? If I were them, I would have just let it stand. Being five points overpriced doesn't make a serious difference on the brute. Even without, it was still functional enough for casual games, and even with it isn't viable in a competitive environment, so why bother now?

I don't mean to be complaining about a points drop. It just seems weird is all.

From what I hear actually, the Hellbrute fix up was actually because there was a minor foul-up in different language prints. For example, the Spanish edition of the codex has the hellbrute down for 100 points. I don't know if any others did. It makes sense they would want to fix it then.

I highly doubt, there will be further point reductions in the future...although if GW wants to make codices in this new edition more balanced, then it could be possible. But again, not very likely. But very good changes overall.

well maybe all walkers will cost 100pts now , maybe legion dreads from FW are going to be 100pts base too or maybe vengance stoped selling or dread sells were dead. We dont know . it is a good thing the errated stuff which was clearly and error on their side , so fast.

I find it highly highly odd that they would flat out lower the points cost of the Hellbrute. That is just something that does not happen very often (if ever).

Yeah, I think the only explanation is that it was a true misprint, and that it was always supposed to be 100 points.

Changing actual unit costs post-codex, is not something I believe will happen. Because then they could take a peek at Thousand Sons and Possessed. As in just a careful glance :P

Cool news about the brute. I'm not sure its a deal maker/breaker for anyone but since I intend to field at least one, I'll take the discount.

True, but it makes me very happy that it indeed, was an error, that our terminators lost their weapon flexibillity! This means not only that I dont have to rip up one of my termies, but that I can use them the way I want to use them.

Wish they had tweaked the "need 5 to take the special" limit they put in his dex as well but whatevs lol.... Nice reduction on the Hellbrute and since it frees up 5 points I'll rip an arm off one of my termies and slap a combi-melta or combi-flamer on my chainfist now termi lol ;)

~BtW

What a surprise. Of course they didn't address any of the noise marine questions.

because they work like GW wants them to work . people have to remember that an errata means that GW noticed that a khorn DP couldnt use an ax , zombis were 10man max etc . FAQs are done when something is not clear . the stuff they errated was crystal clear and stupid . bottom line is NM dont have a new kit , if they did they would be different . GW doesnt want new models that sell worse or sell bad .

From what I hear actually, the Hellbrute fix up was actually because there was a minor foul-up in different language prints. For example, the Spanish edition of the codex has the hellbrute down for 100 points. I don't know if any others did. It makes sense they would want to fix it then.

Now this makes sense. If the foreign language versions have the lower points value already, then the two would need to be brought into line, and even if the english language versions outnumber the rest, it's better to have many players confused but at least happy with an unexpected discount than a few confused and angry at an arbitrary cost increase.

What a surprise. Of course they didn't address any of the noise marine questions.

because they work like GW wants them to work . people have to remember that an errata means that GW noticed that a khorn DP couldnt use an ax , zombis were 10man max etc . FAQs are done when something is not clear . the stuff they errated was crystal clear and stupid. bottom line is NM dont have a new kit , if they did they would be different . GW doesnt want new models that sell worse or sell bad.

Daemon princes, zombies, and terminators don't have new kits either, and they fixed those. The noise marine champion equipment flub, that they literally cannot take the equipment the standard model is sold with, is easily on the same level of stupid. I don't expect the rules for salvo to change, but I do expect the champ's equipment to be fixed. And daemon's of Tzeentch still have the same problem with the scrolls that daemons of Khorne had with the axe.

But... its so short!! where are the pages and ages of question that all the other armies have?? I feel hard done by ;)

no but seriously, its good that they got this out quick, and the fact that this was just the major obvious errors that we all spotted straight away ( apart of the hellbrute, thats just odd), makes me think that they may release another in the near future. all in all, a pretty good sign :)

Daemon princes, zombies, and terminators don't have new kits either, and they fixed those.

yes but non of those have models from 3.5 times. demons had a very nice updated and are a good army right now and again all 3 of those were not working like they should [at least with demons we are sure that the ax was ment to work with khorn DPs] . the problem is GW is realy good at writing their own rules in a bad way. With NM we dont know . Maybe GW wants them to be like that . the 10man blast master option clearly shows that they dont want people to be using NM . If NM were ment to work in a different way[non ccw on champion , stupid sonic replacment rules etc] they would have fixed them .

And daemon's of Tzeentch still have the same problem with the scrolls that daemons of Khorne had with the axe.

A GW hates tzeench . B scroll is a bad item so less of a problem . C they will not make a 2 page long errate to stuff they boched up in the dex , because people will for ever on ask for such errate .

The noise marine champ just had a finecast hybrid release that isn't valid under the new book, and even if you go by the age of the prior metal version of that kit, the plastic fantasy models people will use to represent them plague zombies pre-date the noise marine hybrids by, what, a decade?

Adding a note that noise marine champions come with a close combat weapon and that daemon princes of tzeentch can use the scrolls won't bloat the errata to 2 pages. I doubt it would even push it to 2 columns. I do still expect those changes to be forthcoming.

mali , the gav dex made NM bikers/preds/dreads/chosen/havocks/NM[with special weapons other then sonics] illegal and GW still pulled it off. Am just saying , GW new themselfs that the zombis/ax thing doesnt work at worse the day the codex got leaked and noticed it[GW design doesnt know its own rules so them droping the ball on something isnt new] , at worse they noticed it post printing and acting as "nothing" happended was a way of saving money for them .

GW didn't sell any of those models. GW sells the noise marine champion. They just re-released it. At least with the terminator conflict it was possible to build a legal squad out of the box. If they fixed that, they'll fix the NM champ, it's just a matter of when they notice the issue.

The noise marine champ just had a finecast hybrid release that isn't valid under the new book, and even if you go by the age of the prior metal version of that kit, the plastic fantasy models people will use to represent them plague zombies pre-date the noise marine hybrids by, what, a decade?

What's the problem with the NM champion? People keep insisting that the rules does not allow one to use the current NM upgrade set yet I don't see any problem if you give the power-sword wielding champion a bolter instead of a BP...

Because of WYSIWYG. Why would GW make a mini, even if it is an upgrade for a mini, that doesn't even follow one of their cardinal rules? Like the Axe of Blind Fury, why would it have Rage if MoK already granted Rage? Well know we know. And the answer came from the Frequently Asked Question of why. GW answered with an errata. So, it does make sense to go why does the NM come with a Power Sword when it has to buy the Upgrade. Instead, the basic mini has to be converted into a mini that has a Bolter and a Bolt Pistol. It doesn't make sense to say Model A costs 19 points but you already have to spend another 15 points on just that one model just to make it straight out of the box. And even then, you still can't do that because you have to give up your bolt pistol to do it which means getting a plasma pistol is useless because you can't anymore and you have to convert the mini either way. What it comes down to is that the basic loadout for the NM champ makes buying both the mini and the upgrade kit useless.

Because of WYSIWYG. Why would GW make a mini, even if it is an upgrade for a mini, that doesn't even follow one of their cardinal rules? Like the Axe of Blind Fury, why would it have Rage if MoK already granted Rage? Well know we know. And the answer came from the Frequently Asked Question of why. GW answered with an errata. So, it does make sense to go why does the NM come with a Power Sword when it has to buy the Upgrade. Instead, the basic mini has to be converted into a mini that has a Bolter and a Bolt Pistol. It doesn't make sense to say Model A costs 19 points but you already have to spend another 15 points on just that one model just to make it straight out of the box. And even then, you still can't do that because you have to give up your bolt pistol to do it which means getting a plasma pistol is useless because you can't anymore and you have to convert the mini either way. What it comes down to is that the basic loadout for the NM champ makes buying both the mini and the upgrade kit useless.

Okay, you seemed to miss my point... Look at the upgrade pack again. It includes :

1 power sword

1 Sonic Blaster

1 Blastmaster

1 Doom Siren

Some other bits (heads, torso...)

That's it. You don't have to give your champ a BP, or a PP. The CSM box comes with pistols and bolters. As I said previously, the upgrade kit IS entirely valid, if not optimal.

And what does the old metal NM Champion have as a loadout? You know, the metal one that they are still selling?

1 Plasma Pistol

1 Power Sword

1 Doom Siren

That is an illegal load out. But they still sell it. Yes, it's fine and dandy if you just buy the upgrade set. But the Champ that is by itself, that is still sold by GW is illegal.

And what does the old metal NM Champion have as a loadout? You know, the metal one that they are still selling?

1 Plasma Pistol

1 Power Sword

1 Doom Siren

That is an illegal load out. But they still sell it. Yes, it's fine and dandy if you just buy the upgrade set. But the Champ that is by itself, that is still sold by GW is illegal.

Wait, how is that illegal? That's a perfectly legal loadout for a Noise Marine champion. :P

That's true. Although the name is "Emperor's Children Champion". But even now, it isstill sold as an HQ unit even though HQ units can no longer have Doom Sirens. Which means that at the very least, NM champions should be able to use it. But they can't either. Not without converting the Bolt pistol to a Bolter. But the point is that what is essentially an illegal mini is still being sold by GW.

1 Plasma Pistol

1 Power Sword

1 Doom Siren

As MaliGn just said (and others elsewhere), that is not a champion model, that's a Space Marine Lord; afaik, it's always been a lord, actually, and was never marketed as a champion (see Stuff of Legends Citadel Catalog archive)...

Archived