A spot of sculpting

sioka

:) Evening all, its been a while!

I have been tasked with sculpting/converting a captain figure for a client and seeing as its a space marine it crossed my mind that you folks might like a look. And so in my best David voice 'Big things have small beginnings', this is the start of the reworking of the legs for the figure. The pose is wrong so the left leg will be rotated outward more.

gallery_58523_5782_56785.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_29043.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_191948.jpg

See you folks later :ph34r:

;) A not so sneaky morning update. Here are some pics of the adjustments to the left leg to get the knee and foot in the right place, this was just a case of pulling out the old putty bending the armature and setting back in a more believable position.

gallery_58523_5782_222587.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_148168.jpg

With the armature reposed and given the thumbs up by the client it was time to bulk back out around the joint. Also a start has been made towards the customization of the torso, basic stuff to start so the stomach and chest has been trimmed back for the sculpting work to be done and the gorget has been removed and replaced with a plasticard version.

gallery_58523_5782_152097.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_145352.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_232433.jpg

The grion and butt plate will look wonkey in these photos but this will all be sorted out in the next few steps,

ninja out ;)

To remove the feet just make a V shaped cut with a bone saw, this will take out the bulk of the foot then work with scalpel and files to do the rest. If you had a rotary tool you could do the last part with a deburring atachment. Simples

<_< Back again, this time with the flex joints finished and the butt plate done. Work was completed on the flex and left to cure before the but plate was done, also some putty has been added to the crotch to prepare for resculpting work here. There is also a start to the torso detailing done, the abbs have been added and also the buckle.

gallery_58523_5782_111178.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_125114.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_152564.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_254179.jpg

For some bizare reason I find it easier to work on a figure if the base is done first, to this end the base is in the mid point of construction. After some brain storming with the client we decided to go for 50mm city ruin style base with a removable (magnetised) 25mm centre, this will give a good display on the 50mm and also a good gaming figure on the 25mm. The smaller base is still very wip but the large base is mostly complete.

gallery_58523_5782_58374.jpg

A scale shot to show the planned elevation on the gaming base.

gallery_58523_5782_56083.jpg

Bye bye :ph34r:

:whistling: More work done:-

gallery_58523_5782_161843.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_191894.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_179167.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_75356.jpg

gallery_58523_5782_56682.jpg

A shot of the base mostly done, will get a quick once over toward the end of the work to be sure the foot placement looks natural.

gallery_58523_5782_56641.jpg

Time to sculpt/build some power claws, bye for now :angry:

:rolleyes: Thanks for the compliments guys its very kind of you, truth is I'm enjoying this project lots so its gona be a sad day when this one has to go to its new home.

@ Olisredan Hmmm not sure how to do a tut on that besides saying try more than one putty, find a couple (or more) you like, get some tools (not the gw sculpting spade) some metal and some rubber tiped clay shapers, keep you tools clean, find a lube to use with the putty, don't be scared to make mistakes its the best way to learn, I work slow and try to be as precise as possible, find a comfortable place to sit with a good stable light source and most important of all experiment and keep it fun.

@ Darth Potato The figure is a captain for an Ultramarine army, it will have a very heavy lion theme and dual power claws. By the way you have an awesome user name :yes:

@ Brother Kovash Yup the white claw bits are I guess like a part armature and will end up for the most part covered in putty with just the tips of the claws poking out the front, it makes the claws nice and strong while keeping them thin and in line.

Well its time for some shuteye night all :ph34r:

Whats up? Waiting for Updates. ;)

Sorry to keep you waiting bud, anything that is posted on the B&C will have been previously checked off by the client. At the moment we are waiting to get the pose of the arms and head right as both of these are either very heavy conversion work or a complete new sculpt so it is very important to have things right first go. As soon as more is done and cleared you folks will get the picts ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived