Chaos Marine Death Guard Kit Bash

I've begun the process of making a Chaos Space Marine army. It's going to be a very slow process, since I'm not making this my main or even secondary army. What I have decided is that I want to do Death Guard. I simply love their pre-heresy fluff, and love the idea of diseased, zombie like space marines. Keeping with the idea that Death Guard is not into a lot of flare or bling, I'm keeping them as basic as I can look wise. I'm going with Forgeworld Mk III Iron Armor for the chest and some arms, Chaos Space Marines legs and backpack. Now, however, I'm stuck on what head to go with. I don't know if I should go with the Mk III helmet as seen here:

http://pensacolawarhammer.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/death-guard-chaos-marine-head-2.jpg

Or to go with what I can only describe as the angry skull like helmet that comes with a squad of Chaos Space Marines as seen here:

http://pensacolawarhammer.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/death-guard-chaos-marine-head-1.jpg

These will not be Plague Marines but simply Chaos Space Marines. As it stands, I can really go either way. If it helps, I plan to use a combination of the Death Guard Havoc should pads and the Mk III shoulder pads for, well, my shoulder pads. I'll be making regular updates to this little project on my blog here or at Pensacola Warhammer

Tanks for the comment. I've gone back and now think that the Mk III helmet would look too much like Iron Warriors. I'm feeling the second one a bit more since I looks a bit like a skull. I may just end up doing a squad with one helmet, and another squad with the other helmet. I don't have many Chaos bits, so I can go both ways when I get more.

Having looked quickly through my copy of Horus Heresy Betrayal I can tell you that a lot of the pictures of the Death Guard have them in the MKII and III helmets. They look pretty good to me. They even have a few with the MKIII with modified rebreather hoses fitted to them.

Archived