Still avoiding 6e

Brother_Dan'l

From what I've read of online tourney reports and such (so huge pinch of salt, as its just an impression I've gained from reading these rather than any personal experience), the reason some builds and alliances are game-breaking is because of the tournament missions. All are (effectively) the same using some combination of multiple victory conditions, so you can relatively easily min-max an army to dominate one area and play for that. Its a lot fairer if you use the rulebook Eternal War missions, as it forces you to build a balanced army to be able to effectively compete across all six mission choices (example: I steamrollered a Forge World Eldar Corsair list a wee while back because we were playing The Relic, whereas any other mission would have likely led to an Eldar edge in Big Guns, Kill Points and Scouring, and something more balanced in Emperor's Will and Crusade).

This has 100% been my argument and experience as well. 5th edition tournaments were good for what they were, but they automatically tailored lists into specific niches for competing in them. I saw significantly more varied lists for high end 'ard boyz than i did several of the other GTs.

I think an issue people will have to resolve that will fix a lot of the tournament issues is, as you said, use the eternal war missions. The game is actually balanced fairly well around those. You will pick up positives and negatives from each. Also because eternal war doesn't necessarily require umpteen scoring objectives, overloading scoring units (which is super weakening to some players tactical and codex strengths) is not a requirement. Not all troop choices are created equal.

Overall competitively I've really enjoyed 6th edition, I just wish more major tournaments would be smart enough to revise the way they set up the scoring. It's going to cause a lot of problems with power gaming going forward if they don't. If someone wants to run a high-threat low-scoring structured army then let them do it, that army has just as glaring of weaknesses as a low-threat high-scoring army.

The only real issue i have in 6th edition at this point is immensely big fearless units, but even then focused firepower and assaults go a long ways. Keep in mind coorindated assaults go a long ways. If the first unit makes it into combat, the second unit is not able to be overwatched. Also true "pure assault" armies are likely dead in 6th, but there is no weakness of assault strength in 6th, it just isn't the same situation as it was in 5th.

'

Archived