Ironwing list from Horus Heresy Betrayal book?

Cod

I guess this question is really aimed at owners of the Horus Heresy Betrayal book. Been led to believe that a list of a sort can be built from the army list, resembling something like the old Dark Angels Ironwing list. I have actually just ordered it for myself, but while I wait for it to arrive...

What I was thinking was:

Tactical squads in rhinos

Dreadnought Talon

Artillery tank squadron

Techmarine Covenant (to maintain the vehicles!)

Predator squadron

Vindicator or Landraider

Fellblade

So, you think this idea could work as a useable 'Ironwing' list?

I was saddened to hear the DA codex may not be seen for 5 or 6 months, so thought this might give me something fun to work on instead.

If you have an interest in 30k stick around - you might find interesting things here... soon. Very soon. Like next week soon. :P

As regards the list, all the above are in there but there is also a FOC to be respected. And of course there are "rites of war" for your leader that will give him some positives and some negatives if you want to theme your force further... I think, the Betrayal list is amazing with all the options and the "Great Crusade" feel it has!

I can be more helpful when I go home later... (book's too big to sneak it to work :P)

Love the idea of an Ironwing. But can't comment further as I don't have that particular book :(.

Seems your test list might work in a modern 40K FOC setting, by removing the Fellblade and Tank and Artillery squadrons.

In my hazy memory, the Ironwing was basically a marine force, with emphasis on Heavy Support (LRs, Mole Mortars, Whirlwinds, Pred etc). There was no real requirement to have transports for the Troops elements either - but it's more 'tanky' if you do :). Think of the Ironwwing as something that didn't include either DW and RW and you're there.

At the most basic for instance:

Company master, combi-melta

Company Veterans, (9), Rhino

Techmarine (why not?)

Tactical Squad (10), Rhino

Tactical Squad (10), Rhino

Tactical Squad (5), Razorback

Tactical Squad (5) Razorback

Predator (or Whirlwind)

Predator (or Whirlwind)

Predator (or Whirlwind)

or something like.

Cheers

I

Like Land Raiders? Of any kind? :)

EDIT: I don't think you can mix Legion list with Codex lists... also this "ability" to take LR's comes with a catch - "rites of war" work that way... Some benfits and some restrictions. It's a good way to build a themed force.

Well, not that customizable...

There are like 4 them (I really have to get home to get hold of the book to be more accurate). One that's for tanks, one for fast attack, one for Termies & elites and an orbital attack one. They don't cost points as they give a bonus but also restrict your army too. But if you want a themed army they seem fun!

It could be they add more in future books...

Ok, thanks, I will wait patiently for the heresy book to arrive and see what goodies it brings in terms of army list options.

In the mean time, will start building what vehicles I have.

Isiah: You gave me hope an Ironwing of a fashion can be built. Even if in 40K ;-)

Captain Semper: You also intrigue me with your 'very soon, like next week soon'!

Oh and theres nothing saying in the future when the new DA codex arrives, I can reshuffle my minis to suit. Ah the joys of trying to build a themed force usable for both 30k & 40k!

Archived