Fortress Monastary building?

Benjyboy1994

A... Fortress-Monastery? Um... I'd give it whatever weapons you want. Starting with heavy bolters and lascannons. Do remember, FM's are meant to house an entire chapter (if for some inexplicable reason they were all gathered there at once), their armoury, their motor-pool and thousands of serfs (on average). Some space marine chapters FM's are grounded Battle Barges. Massive doesn't even describe the task if he intends to make a whole one...

The building plan is a 7-tier system using old board pieces (4'x4') as the first level, but beyond that we have no idea as to how he is gonna do this, as you can guess, it is in 40K scale, as you do...

I thought of the Imperial Defence laser or ten, but have no idea how to make one. He has already ordered a few artillery emplacements from FW and used a couple of IG heavy weapons sprues to make some gun emplacements.

I can't help but think this'll take a while.

I don't know why, but I always like to envision them having those massive Ion cannons like the Hoth base had.

I know that in Rogue Trader, they went pretty in-depth into the Space Wolves monastery. Might be able to glean some ideas from it.

I think the best bet is to try and make a section of one. Kind of like the Siege on the Imperial Palace type thing with just a section of wall and interior. As for what the fortress actually looks like, I have no idea. Other than 'the Fang' or the Imperial Fists floaty fortress thing (forgot the name) I can't think of many being described that well in the fluff.

If your friend intends to use a 4' by 4' base, I'd describe his FM building as 'the front gate'. FM's are waaay bigger than 4' by 4' in 28mm scale. ;)

You are probably right, but I'm not entirely sure what he's going to do with it. I know that each level is going to be 4'x4'.

Not possible

40k is roughly 70:1 scale

if his fortress is just one square kilometer, the board would need to be a fourteen metre square.

That may be a fair size, for a fortress that's hundreds of levels deep....

Three x six meter for one hundred rhino?

Just parking space.

Not possible

40k is roughly 70:1 scale

if his fortress is just one square kilometer, the board would need to be a fourteen metre square.

That may be a fair size, for a fortress that's hundreds of levels deep....

Three x six meter for one hundred rhino?

Just parking space.

Well, that's depressing. ;)

Well, what if it was like a Chapter Keep, for a aprt of a Chapter?

A fortress monastery would be as big as a small city with a vast defensive network surrounding it.

A section would be doable though.

You'd need high walls and turrents and gun emplacements i reckon.

For the interior things like the starwars Ion Cannon would be great, maybe a missile silo too.

Something that might be cool would be those buildings from Dawn of War. You could paint those in chapter colours.

Here is some inspiration -

Space Wolves vs. Nids

And some more I just found -

One | Two | Three

I like how #3 has a sub level.

Perhaps this was meant to be on a Fortress monetary scale. Or an entrance to the Imperial Palace. Yes, I believe it is a part of the Imperial Palace - here are some more (and it's quite old).

Okay, now I'm just enjoying finding and staring at these... Here is another newer version of the Imperial Palace. Or at least a part of the wall or some such. Oddly enough, the White Scars, including the Khan, holding the loyalist's right flank that you see in pics 1,3-4 are gone by the time you get to the bottom half of the photos. Are things like this group efforts and they remove individual units for inspection?

Anyway, good luck to your friend and his project.

Getting like 4 Fortress of redemptions, 4 Imperial strongpoints and quite few bastions would be a start. Depending the rumoured Terrain: Wall of martyrs which has been depicted some white dwarf for a keep. For a monastery, perhaps Bill Gates would loan few million for that?...

Archived