RedInventor's Guardians of Silence WIP (Loyalist Chapter)

RedInventor

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought I might start one of these considering everything I have at the moment is a work in progress. I kind of dived into the hobby a few months ago and I haven't really looked back. First and foremost, I should at least start with the fact that I have mostly bought used miniatures in order to save money and as such I have had verry little experience in the assembling/modelling stage. But I feel like used figures come with their own variety of challenges that you wouldn't run into had you bought them new. In these past few months, I've definitely realized I prefer the arts and crafts side of 40K vice the game. The game is a lot of fun, but I absolutely enjoy the creation aspect of the hobby significantly more. At first the plan was to play Raven Guard as a long last company, yada yada. Well after working on the fluff for said company I slowly began to realize as I learned more that it was going to be a pretty BS story to try and sell. Not only that, I really wasn't enjoying some of the limitations I had trying to fit my army into a previously built chapter. And you guessed right, I decided to create my own chapter that didn't have the restrictions a GW chapter does. As I've gone through the process of making my chapter I've made lots of changes to this or that and I presume that process probably continues for a long time. Even still I believe my chapter's core has remained relatively unchanged. This being a WIP thread, I won't really jump into the fluff and other fluff type things that I have come up with for them. Special characters I'm working on will most likely come with some fluff as to explain certain items or poses or whatever else might pop up, but overall I'm writing this for discussion of my chapters ascetic appeal. If you want to know anymore feel free to ask or visit my blog Imperial Red Inventions This being said, here is what I have been working on over the past few months. I'll star with my Chapter Master, Great Sage Sigurn Mordax, who I have been working on throughout the day.

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

A Little rough at the moment, but I literally just finished most of the modelling.

Here's my model that is closest to being completely finished paint wise:

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

He has the Chapter logo on his right shoulder here.

His squad and most of my other terminators-

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

Sergeant of my Assault Terminator Squad-

IMG_2434.JPG

*I was trying a different approach, he was painted prior to me changing the painting method*

A CC Scout that was painted RG, still needs a bit of work-

IMAG0200.jpg

I still have all this to paint, plus more!

IMG_2404.JPG

Here is a squad I had started painting Raven Guard, still have to go back and repaint them.

IMG_2405.JPG

The this guy was the first one I ever painted

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

Well I'd love to know what y'all thought, so feel free to comment. I'll be adding more pictures tomorrow and working more on my chapter master. Hopefully priming and at least starting to paint, but who really knows when there's a hurricane around. Thanks for looking :)

For being new to this you have an amazingly steady hand and neat brush stroke. At first I thought the coour scheme was a bit monotonous all purple but when I saw the dread on the mossy base it looked really nice with the green and purple contrast. The only thing that did look a bit wierd to me was the terminators face but I'm not actuallly too sure why to be honest so I woulnd't worry to much about it.

Looking forward to more.

James

Here's some updated pictures of the chapter master I've been working on:

Getting ready to paint him after I primed him and base coated him black, I'm starting with his face.

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

Now a little paint with the head installed, I did glowing eyes mostly for the ascetic appeal:

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

So that's where I'm at with him.

Thanks James, I agree with you about the face though. I have been thinking about stripping it and starting over but I might just try to wash the heck out of it and redo the eyes. Faces have been one of my biggest challenges so far. As for the color scheme, I've been trying to think of a simple way to add some flare. All I have managed to come up with is adding light blue to the flexible joints in the armor. But thanks for the compliments!

Well the day is done and so is my chapter master (not quite but close). Here he is, let me know what you think....

IMAG0325.jpg

Great Sage Sigurn Mordax

IMAG0327.jpg

His cloak didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but I still feel its pretty good for my first time really using green stuff.

IMAG0284.jpg

Leading Squad Valinir into battle

IMAG0288.jpg

Close up of his hammer, Wisdom's Judgement. I'm pretty happy about this thing, I think it looks pretty cool. I wanted to make it glow more than it does but I'm not really sure how to go about that.

IMG_2656.JPG

Close up of his storm shield, I attempted to make it look as though it glowed or something but it didn't really work out still looks okay though.

Well let me know what you think. This is my first conversion/kitbash model so I'd love some ideas of how to improve. I have a more in depth explanation of how he was built on my blog if you care to know. Thanks for looking!

So I have finished my Librarian, Cillux. He was created from the Dark Vengeance LibrarianTurmiel, no fancy modelling this time I just scrape of almost all the dark angels heraldry. I am really happy with how he turned out, not quite perfect but definitely a good test of my skill. His face is the one thing that really bothers me, as always I struggle with faces. I managed to get the base for both of my most recently painted figures done as well. Here's the pictures:

Librarian Cillux

IMG_2651.JPG

[imghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j9Imd8o7X2s/UJCTyhNAH_I/AAAAAAAAAxw/rUJN4zQO9YQ/s711/IMG_2652.JPG[/img]

IMG_2653.JPG

IMAG0320.jpg

Great Sage Sigurn Mordax

IMAG0325.jpg

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

The Chapter as its painted thus far in front of my first commission.

IMG_2647.JPG

What do y'all think?

Well I don't have much to update on my Guardians quite yet and I'm not terribly sure I will over the next couple of weeks. I picked up my first commission from one of my buddies.

Here it is-

IMG_2640.JPG

I have a bunch a terrain to paint, I don't foresee that being too hard. Then a Pre-Heresy Titan by Mike Biasi(?). Should be an awesome guy to paint, well sort of. There isn't too much detail to do and the customer wants it painted with black armor and silver rivets. He also wants the aquilas and skull to be gold. Simple, yes but typically simple requires a lot of work to look really good. I love anything involving the Mechanicus, especially their titans so I'm deeply excited about getting this guy finished. Along with this guy I will be painting some GW craters, an Imperial Strongpoint, and an Fortress of Redemption. Next to my Land Raider and a Guardian Squad his size becomes truly apparent. Definitely will be posting more as I work on this guy.

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

There's definitely a lot of detail on the base as well, take this sign for instance. I think it would look great all rusty and burnt.

IMG_2619.JPG

The customer wants this rhino painted in the Thousands Sons colors, definitely might be able to get some free hand in there to add some personality.

We'll see how it goes!

Was a bit confused at first as to why your Chapter Matser had a purple line across his face but then when I saw it as a whole witht he rest of the model it looks really efffective. Loving the blue tint aroudn the shield to it contrasts really well with the purple.

The effects on the hand of the libarian and the thunder hammer are cool as well and genuinally look like there glowing.

Looking forward to some paitn on the Titan.

Cheers

James

Thank you all for the responses! It's good to know others enjoy my work as much as i do!

Now I did get started on the Reaver Titan today and I'm loving it. It definitely poses a lot of challenges, but thus far everything is going smoothly. I didn't get all that much work done since its Halloween and all. So far I've just sprayed the titan a satin black which I was a little worried about, but thus far it is looking great for the Titan's armor, and then I began painting all the rivets on the legs and upper armor silver. The pictures I have were taken with my phone and aren't too great, but hey its a Work In Progress, right? Oh and ff anyone knows what weapons these are that'd be great, that way I can try to paint them as accurately as possible. I have no clue and my quick research really hasn't turned up too much. Hell I can hardly find another image of one of these guys painted. Once again thanks for the kind comments and thanks for looking.

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

Definitely looks like a monster in this lighting, I dig it.

IMAG0340.jpg

Here's a close up of the leg armor, I'm going to have to go back and touch up some spots but its looking okay.

IMAG0345.jpg

Weapon 1- ???

IMAG0346.jpg

Weapon 2- ???

IMAG0348.jpg

Weapon 3- ???

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated everybody. I haven't really been able to get too much done, 12 hour workdays, a 15 month old, and pregger wife make for little time for 40k. Even still the midnight oild burns and I can get a little done night by night. Here's what I've been up to:

Titan Progress (Minimal, the customer has been playing with a few new ideas for a paint scheme :) )

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

The New Paint Idea....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_C8Dz6RfvNhM/SzV3aC2G18I/AAAAAAAABrE/c0wLY-1nifE/s400/gurren-lagann-01.jpg

And now for the Guardians:

I painted this guy up pretty quick, I'm getting better at doing a decent job quickly I think.

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

I tried playing with this guys chainsword, he still needs a lot more work but I was just playing around. When I read the fluff, chainswords in my mind would look like they are glowing hot. I tried to create said effect, I feel like I met little success in the venture though. Oh well, it was fun trying to get it right.

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

Here's my new terminator librarian, just started him last night and I only had a couple hours to work on him. I love the model though, I'm realizing I definitely enjoy painting librarians. I'm going to try refining the glowing eyes technique I've been working on. I might try adding a lightning effect, we'll see.

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Archived