Drop Pods vs Rhinos?

Fallen Avenger

Im going to be running various lists and im fairly new to the gaming side of this hobby, so what are the advantages and disadvantages to these?

Without the Drop Pod Assault rule, I don't see much point in taking a Drop Pod over a Rhino when using our dex.

Mobile cover, and transport to those hard to reach objectives. Plus, I think Rhinos looks so cool :P

If you want a rhino you want some greenwing, if you want some greenwing C:SM is better, so you can even think about a drop pod with DPA.

I personally have a deathwing base list with some SM allies. In my SM allied list I have a dread in a drop pod with a teleport homer, so it can go the first turn and then the deathwing follow it. Then it became a good obstacle to the line of sight, because when you have a dread and 7 termies nex to you, noone shoot to the pod XD.

IMHO in VI edition, with the hull point, rhino it's not a good choice, a razorback is a lot better

Rhinos, because my DIY successor is fluffed as having lost all their drop pods and are unwilling to replace them because they're wasteful compared to rhinos (which is kind of a big deal when you got limited resources).

As for actual in-game effects, drop pods don't really have any advantage over rhinos.

If you want a rhino you want some greenwing, if you want some greenwing C:SM is better, so you can even think about a drop pod with DPA.

I personally have a deathwing base list with some SM allies. In my SM allied list I have a dread in a drop pod with a teleport homer, so it can go the first turn and then the deathwing follow it. Then it became a good obstacle to the line of sight, because when you have a dread and 7 termies nex to you, noone shoot to the pod XD.

IMHO in VI edition, with the hull point, rhino it's not a good choice, a razorback is a lot better

Are you using the drop pod beacon the same turn it comes in? Because the rules for locator beacon state that it must be on the table the before the turn it's used. So DWA couldn't use the beacon from a drop pod using DPA.

I would disagree about the razorback being better than the rhino. Given to how fast vehicles can die now, I think a smaller investment is better. Plus, the new combat squad rule and rhinos definitely gives the rhino a boost. This isn't to say razorbacks are bad, but I don't think razorback spam is the way to go in 6th ed.

I think that drop pods are best when allied in. I ally in sternguard in a DP and rarely fail to wreck things and throw a massive wrench in my opponents plans. It's expensive, but so much fun!

As for actual in-game effects, drop pods don't really have any advantage over rhinos.

Except the fact, that every medium str gun can destroy them and then let the heavy weapons destroy the squad inside? (genuine question, no sarcasm intended)

Example: Long fangs. Missile launchers destroy rhino, plasma cannoneers destroy marines and so on.

IMHO the drop is better. It guaranties of shorts that your guys will cross the table where as a rhino has a target painted all over it.

well ive cancelled my offer on Dakka now ill be kicking myself it becomes DPs are the way forward ha, he was doing 5 DPs for £97!

wouldnt worry about it - can get 5 pods cheaper than that elsewhere anyway, thats only about 14% off - shop around and you can get 20-25% off. alternatively wait a month and ebay may end up with a few on due to people not wanting them from the new megaforce

my opinion - rhinos are better as:

mobile gun platforms

moving cover/distraction to enemy

reusuable through game

model wise, can buy any rhino based variant or get extra bits and magnetise to swap between roles

drop pods now suffer from interceptor rule when they arrive

I wouldnt agree with the 4th point, it takes a single hit to put it out of commission possibly stranding the squad as well.

i cant argue with that however should it survive a hit (it can/does happen) then next turn its still in play. the fact they are more likly to be shot is a bonus too as it distracts fire from other units where as opponents may be less likely to bother with a pod one its landed.

pods are also technically a bit easer to destroy in that a weapon destroyed result destoys them too whereas a rhino can take this or be immobilised and not count as dead yet.

main pros of pods as far as i can see are:

speed - your marines deploy the turn they arrive vs rhinos where they get out the beginning of next turn (this rule has me rethinking using rhinos/RBs from my old 5th ed lists). plus pods can get to places quicker than a rhino/that a rhino will be destroyed before reaching

can be dropped empty for locater beacon to bring in terminators with some cover

rhinos do die and need to have redundancy to work well - pods less so

i probably prefer rhinos because thats what i am used to from 5th edition still but do see the advantages of pods and will one day get some. rule of cool - i like both. rhinos/tanks for armoured columns, the cinematic style of pods crashing out of the sky....

The way I see it is that Drop Pods are a bit out dated in the DA codex. But you have to weigh it up from each side.

Rhinos:

Mobile

Repair Rule

Storm Bolter

Mobile Cover

Decoy/Distraction

Vulnerable to small arms fire

Easy KP

Drop Pods:

Fast Deployment

Better Armour

Storm Bolter/Launcher

Immobile

No mobile cover

Easy KP

Interceptor Rule

The way I see it, a Rhino is a tank for life. :D I find them more practical in games, as well as financially as they can be magnetized to change into a variety of other vehicles. Drop pods however are quicker, but lack the rules support in our current codex.

Are you using the drop pod beacon the same turn it comes in? Because the rules for locator beacon state that it must be on the table the before the turn it's used. So DWA couldn't use the beacon from a drop pod using DPA.

I would disagree about the razorback being better than the rhino. Given to how fast vehicles can die now, I think a smaller investment is better. Plus, the new combat squad rule and rhinos definitely gives the rhino a boost. This isn't to say razorbacks are bad, but I don't think razorback spam is the way to go in 6th ed.

I think that drop pods are best when allied in. I ally in sternguard in a DP and rarely fail to wreck things and throw a massive wrench in my opponents plans. It's expensive, but so much fun!

No, I know that it has to be on the table, but not all your DW unit come down on turn 1! In turn 2, 3 and so, if you have a locator homer on the pod you can teleport them in the centre of the battle or even behind enemy lines.

I agree that razorback spam isn't the way... but rhino spam is the same... with the hull point the spam of low armour vehicles is always a bad thing

Except the fact, that every medium str gun can destroy them and then let the heavy weapons destroy the squad inside? (genuine question, no sarcasm intended)

Example: Long fangs. Missile launchers destroy rhino, plasma cannoneers destroy marines and so on.

IMHO the drop is better. It guaranties of shorts that your guys will cross the table where as a rhino has a target painted all over it.

Eh, I dunno.

I usually prefer footslogging, tbh.

The advantage to the rhino (and razorback) is that the vehicle is practically immune to small arms fire, and the squad inside is safe until the vehicle explodes.

Problem is it will explode, and at the most inappropriate time as well.

Eh, I dunno.

I usually prefer footslogging, tbh.

Me too, its just that I like blowing up rhinos...

Archived