Furioso Librarian Dreadnought

terminatorAM

I'm planning to run a single Furioso libby in a 1500 or higher point list running between 2 assault squads and a JP death company squad. It will have wings to keep up and shield to grant a save to the other unit which usually are exposed to fire even with actual cover. I will also have a priest, reclusiarch, and possibly a librarian all with jump packs moving with the other squads to give them buffs as well. These guys are easy to protect within units that can hang back when assaults are unfavorable (maybe not the reclusiarch w/ DC) so they can continue to buff the rest of the army.

The ting I'm concerned about is the dread. He can't hind in a squad and can't get much more protection past what he is giving himself with shield. So I'm worried that he will be picked off early in the game leaving me down an expensive unit as well as a mobile cover save for the rest of the army.

I do plan on running a predator or two plus a rhino with a tactical squad for some armor saturation, but I'm not sure if it will be enough. How else would you protect the dread and has anyone had experience using them before?

If you run 2 preds and a Rhino, this will be more than enough, I feel. A wiley opponent will still watch out for the flying box of metal, but with enough forward pressure on him, you can make him regret his choices. Baals are good for this on account of the amount of dakka they put out.

One of the best things the BA Dreadnoughts have is there AV 13. If the enemy choose to shoot at your Dread he has to use his big guns against you which would easily kill your

Infantry Units. Lascannons and missles wouldnt allow you to roll for FnP and would wound you on 2+. The Dread on the otherside would be penetradet from a Lascannon on 5+

and has his 5+ cover save. Long story short. Even if your Dread is going to be killed he his going to soak up enough firepower which easily would decimate your main force.

I used and still use a Librarian Dread in all my lists starting at 1300 Points. One of my friends hates him for all the damage he has done to him and at the moment (last 5 games) he allways tries to destroy

the Dread in first or second turn which allows my main force to engage without to much losses.

My Dread: Librarian Dreadnought with forcesword, wings and might.

Might want to swap that sword for an axe so you get AP2 and S7. ;)

Yeah thought about this too. I made him before 6th, and now I would need a cool axe model but thats not my top priority at the moment.

If you run 2 preds and a Rhino, this will be more than enough, I feel. A wiley opponent will still watch out for the flying box of metal, but with enough forward pressure on him, you can make him regret his choices. Baals are good for this on account of the amount of dakka they put out.

That's what I was hoping for, just was getting paranoid at the possibility of him getting taken out too early. Besides he isn't holding the army up, just making them survive a little longer.

@knife&fork: how often does the force weapon really get used over the blood fist anyways? I plan to convert my dread from a contemptor and give him either a scratch-build ax or the dreadknight's sword

Might want to swap that sword for an axe so you get AP2 and S7. ^_^

Would that mean you can use a power sword and hit at normal initiative? Might be pretty decent at s6, maybe i'm forgetting something?

Walkers ignore the unwieldy rule, so you hit at initiative with either your force axe or your fist. Only two situations where the type of force weapon really matters much: either because you already lost your fist (fortunately doesn't happen as often as it would in 5th) or because you're punching a multi-wound model with toughness 6 or better, in which case you can still get instant death with the force weapon.

Now, what I'm about to propose might, on the surface, sound like...*ahem*..Heresy..*ahem*... BUT, the axe from the Daemon Prince kit does look pretty awesome, and I think in the clutched fist of the Venerable Dreadnought kit... well, I think you see where this is going. let's call it...a victory trophy put to use for the Good of All Mankind.

:)

http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/IMG_0058.JPG

Up until 6th edition hit, I was planning on using one of the Daemon Prince's swords on a Venerable Dread for my Furioso Librarian conversion. Unfortunately, while there are 2 different swords per DP kit box, there is but one axe.

Now, what I'm about to propose might, on the surface, sound like...*ahem*..Heresy..*ahem*... BUT, the axe from the Daemon Prince kit does look pretty awesome, and I think in the clutched fist of the Venerable Dreadnought kit... well, I think you see where this is going. let's call it...a victory trophy put to use for the Good of All Mankind.

:(

Up until 6th edition hit, I was planning on using one of the Daemon Prince's swords on a Venerable Dread for my Furioso Librarian conversion. Unfortunately, while there are 2 different swords per DP kit box, there is but one axe.

Actually, with some minor chopping action you can quite easily remove any chaos marks and make it a "ahem" loyalist axe :P

:o

Here's another idea to use. Krell of the Vampire Lords line has a nifty looking axe that would look better on dreadnought.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1460012a

:P

Actually, with some minor chopping action you can quite easily remove any chaos marks and make it a "ahem" loyalist axe :P

Thats what Old Man Grimnar did isnt it? ;)

Archived