Blood angels log

irwit

Hi all

Im starting out a Blood Angels army and thought I would post my progress to hopefully spure me on. I dont get much hobby time at the moment so trying to get stuff done is a slow process. Anyway, heres where I am so far ...

5 man assault and a Librarian ( inspired/blatently copied by Iskandurs conversion).

gallery_65482_7861_577009.jpg

gallery_65482_7861_2076103.jpg

gallery_65482_7861_1846449.jpg

gallery_65482_7861_763162.jpg

Cheers man, I got some clay shapers yesterday and cant believe how much they help! I've sculpted all the gaps and done some work on the meltagunners leg as it needed rebuilding at the top. However I am feeling so much more confident using green stuff after only 5 minutes with the clay shapers I may have to re-think how much green stuff I will be using. Going to try try casting some shoulder pads, I tried something differnet on oneof the assault marines but I think its abit too much so still unsure what to do about shoulder.

Nice poses on the assault squad. One question thou. Is the fella with the wings Astorath? or a Librarian?

I'm not sure at the moment, I reckon he could be a few of the special characters but in terms of my army for the moment he's just a basic librarian.

Does anyone know a place to get some really small scale chains? I want him floating being held up by either chains or scrolls. I think chains maybe, match the rest of the look.

Sounds odd but seriously get yourself down to Asda as they usually have a range of cheapy/rubbish jewellery with chains of all different sizes.

Thats what I done to buy chains for my models.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Would of never thought that but will give it a go at the weekend. Cheers for the tip :lol:

I'm going to try casting some shoulder pads tonight hopefully. I have some onymaru (spelling?) which has worked pretty well on a couple of tests. However its only the outside of the shoulder pad that looks good, the inside is totally wrong shape, so I think tonight I will try casting the green stuff into shape, then pressing a marine arm shoulder into the greenstuff again to get the right fit and trim excess while it is still soft. Fingers crossed should work. Basically i don't like the idea of having a mish mash of shoulder pads but also don't fancy freehanding anything so its either casts or paying a quid per shoulder pad from ebay when they are in stock :s

In terms of "wax working tool" do you mean something like this?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools...-prcode-999-AZV

yup - i've a set of those i (try and) use for GS work.

Ah ok, well basicly the clay shapers have soft ends, like rubber I think. So they work really well for smoothing out and polishing your sculpt. Currently I am using the metal GW tool to get the thing into shape and get rid of any major excess, then using the clays to smooth out the surface and remove the last bits of excess. Then I can get a really good ( well for me anyway) final surface that matches the smoothness of the models really easily. Id of never been able to do that leg piece without them basically, well actually I did and it looked awful but luckily while it was still curing teh clay shapers arrived so I could go back in straight away and smooth it all out, looked terrible before! They were less than a tenner for 5 different shapes including delivery, bargain :lol:

I really think with some practice they are going to open up a lot of opportunities to use greenstuff for things I would of previously not dared try.

Sounds odd but seriously get yourself down to Asda as they usually have a range of cheapy/rubbish jewellery with chains of all different sizes.

Thats what I done to buy chains for my models.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Would of never thought that but will give it a go at the weekend. Cheers for the tip :tu:

I'm going to try casting some shoulder pads tonight hopefully. I have some onymaru (spelling?) which has worked pretty well on a couple of tests. However its only the outside of the shoulder pad that looks good, the inside is totally wrong shape, so I think tonight I will try casting the green stuff into shape, then pressing a marine arm shoulder into the greenstuff again to get the right fit and trim excess while it is still soft. Fingers crossed should work. Basically i don't like the idea of having a mish mash of shoulder pads but also don't fancy freehanding anything so its either casts or paying a quid per shoulder pad from ebay when they are in stock :s

Glad I could be of help, mate :lol:

Good luck with the shoulderpad too.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Cheers man, I got some clay shapers yesterday and cant believe how much they help!

I know what you mean, I can't imagine how I ever used greenstuff without them.

Does anyone know a place to get some really small scale chains?

This is really bugging me because I know I saw an oline store selling these specifically for modeling purposes like a week ago and now I can't remember where.

It wasn't either of these places, but this might help:

http://www.tankworkshop.com/Shop/agora.cgi...Chain&xm=on

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=pr...s&group=086

gallery_65482_7861_199517.jpg

gallery_65482_7861_313998.jpg

In general I was really pleased with the results. A couple failed but a couple were really good, I can even get some underside detail from the last couple of moulds I did. Still did take well over an hour to do but if I don't mind being patient I guess across an entire army it could save me quite a few pennies :)

they came out pretty nice! a softer putty may pickup more details/be less prone to failing. possibly a bit more yellow than blue for the GS could work or mixing with another putty may help

will have to try some clay shapers - there's a pretty decent art shop near me that might sell them, if not i'm sure i can find a good online seller. am actualy tempted more by the crystal resin stuff they sell - custom cockpit windows for vehicles!

for chains

forgeworld sells some though i imagine at somewhat of a premium.

you could try model train suppliers

there is also this place that i keep meaning to go to

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/search,l.html?q=chain

alternatively (also other good tutorials and some great models):

http://masteroftheforge.com/2012/10/23/tut...n-stuff-chains/

using clay shapers - hadnt actually paid that bit much attention.

alternatively (also other good tutorials and some great models):

http://masteroftheforge.com/2012/10/23/tut...n-stuff-chains/

using clay shapers - hadnt actually paid that bit much attention.

That site is brilliant! how have I not found that before? Cheers for that :D I think that greenstuff chain looks quite stylised, not sure if it will quite look right on these guys. Maybe a bit comic book esque?

Now rebuilding these guys in tru scale, hmm. tempting!

I'll definitely use a bit more yellow in the next batch and see if that helps. To be honest I think it was more the casts that were wrong more than the greenstuff. The pics dont really do the final products justice. They also needs trimming and tidying up. Basically what I was doing wrong on the first few casts was tidying up the cast which is wrong. Basically flatten the onymaru in the pallette with a credit card so its as flat as possible. Press the shoulder pad in as flat as possible. Then flatten again with the credit card. This leaves the inner shoulder pad slightly covered. Originally I was the flattening this back out but you are better off leaving it in, this give you lower edge detail. Then pack the green stuff in tight and flatten the top as best you can. Either way it should be fine for using on the miniatures without looking like a cast.

more yellow will take longer to cure it the only thing to be aware of - thats the typical use of mixing more in.

masteroftheforge has a tut on doing a pad where he mixes gs with sculpy for a softer putty - might be good?

Archived