red or grey?

vanimal

Hi

I have sat on my painting table some forge world heresy space marines that will soon become bearers of the word. My question is do I do them in traitor red , as they wore through the vast majority of the heresy and since? Or do I do them in pre-heresy grey with some (the Gal Vorbak) in red? I have done some testers and both look nice( though grey slightly edges it), but I'm a sucker for fluff so using grey word bearers against post heresy stuff would rankle. Any ideas?

Vanimal

You never see grey Word Bearers, I say go for it.

Chronologically (iirc) by the time they attacked Calth they'd already repainted their wargear crimson, so you'll probably want that if you're running them with the CSM codex. Pre-heresy would look fantastic, though.

people will be asking about your Space Wolves/Luna Wolves

Not if you cover them with enough script :devil: Scrolls, pennants, etching in the armour, the works. That and the burning book symbol should make them unmistakable.

I supose you need to decide on what time point your Word Bearers are at. If fluff wise you find yourself mostly playing Great Crusade theme battles grey is fine, but Word Bearers were all red before it became obvious who their allegences were to. So if your doing Heresy theme then red. The safe bet for me would be to do red though as that way you can justify using either fluff theme. Plus as a Word Bearer fluff monster I find the time we wore the grey to be a shameful past, though key towards our enlightenment. Red is the color of our ascension ;D .

I supose you need to decide on what time point your Word Bearers are at. If fluff wise you find yourself mostly playing Great Crusade theme battles grey is fine, but Word Bearers were all red before it became obvious who their allegences were to. So if your doing Heresy theme then red. The safe bet for me would be to do red though as that way you can justify using either fluff theme. Plus as a Word Bearer fluff monster I find the time we wore the grey to be a shameful past, though key towards our enlightenment. Red is the color of our ascension ;D .

This.

If your army is Preheresy, go grey.

If it's heresy or later, go traitor red.

Archived